User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Installing Tiger Question.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Installing Tiger Question.
holbox

2005-04-20, 09:24

I read the three choices Brad said we in installing Tiger.

Sounds like the very best way is to erase the hard drive and then install Tiger on a brand new clean slate.

Makes sense to me.

Are there any pit falls in just cutting a DVD with everything you want to transfer (files, address book, music, pictures, applications, etc.) and then moving it to the new OS after it's installed.

or is the "archive & install" and then dumping the archive best?
staph
Microbial member

Send a message via AIM to staph  
2005-04-20, 09:45

I'm sorry, unless you've been experiencing some seriously weird problems with your system, or are an obsessive neat freak, archive and install is far and away the best/easiest way to go.

By all means back up your data before you update though.
MCQ
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to MCQ  
2005-04-20, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbox

Are there any pit falls in just cutting a DVD with everything you want to transfer (files, address book, music, pictures, applications, etc.) and then moving it to the new OS after it's installed.
Yeah. You forget something that you wanted while you try to backup. It's happened to me before.

Quote:
or is the "archive & install" and then dumping the archive best?
I haven't had any issues the couple times I've used archive/install, and it typically avoids the above from happening.

Edit: Yes, and for those rare cases, you still may want to have a backup around somewhere.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-04-20, 11:02

What do I always use and always recommend to others? Archive and install.

Why? You don't have to go through the trouble of meticulously making and restoring backups of your files. If you are already backing up everything and don't mind the inconvenience, though, go for a clean erase and install.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
holbox

2005-04-20, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
What do I always use and always recommend to others? Archive and install.

Why? You don't have to go through the trouble of meticulously making and restoring backups of your files. If you are already backing up everything and don't mind the inconvenience, though, go for a clean erase and install.
Where do you find the archive then after the install????
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-04-20, 15:57

Quote:
Archive and Install will take you old (10.3) System folder, rename it "System (old)" or something like that, then install a new System folder. It doesn't mess with anything else, like apps or users. To dump the archive, just delete the System (old) folder. You may have to enter your password to do so, but it won't make problems.
staph
Microbial member

2005-04-20, 18:03

Quote:
/Previous Systems/Previous System [n]
staph
Microbial member

2005-04-20, 18:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRabbit
Archive and Install will take you old (10.3) System folder, rename it "System (old)" or something like that, then install a new System folder. It doesn't mess with anything else, like apps or users.
Um… that actually depends which of the two types of A&I you choose — you can choose to leave users and preferences in place, or you can choose to do a completely clean install.

Quote:
To dump the archive, just delete the System (old) folder. You may have to enter your password to do so, but it won't make problems.