User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 2012 ;)
Page 4 of 10 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-12, 13:51

Yeah, I'll be getting the next one too. I made my first iPhone go three-plus years, and I appreciated the jump from the original 2007 model to the 2010 iPhone 4 (believe me...it was dramatic ). But that third year, I was charging it much more (it would drain in the course of an afternoon) and it was certainly feeling its age. I figure I can swing $199 every two years for something I use, and enjoy, this much.

So, unlike last year, I'll actually be following closely - and looking forward to - the next release. Because it's what I'll be stepping up to this fall. I'm never going to be one of those "early buyers", or pay full price/break contract to upgrade every year like some people do. I think that's a bit silly (although I don't care what people choose to do with their own money).

But to get everything that's in the 4s (Siri, nicer camera, etc.) plus whatever else they've got in store...yeah, I'll appreciate that two-year jump. And unlike my original 2007 iPhone (which I'm holding onto as a historical artifact), I'll have no problem selling this iPhone 4 this fall and using it to help pay for a new one. So that'll be nice. I wonder what a 2010 out-of-contract/unlocked 16GB iPhone 4 would bring come then?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-23, 12:55

The latest, from what's-his-name...

He makes some good points. I still think a taller 4" iPhone that changes nothing on the horizontal is what we'll see. Because he's right...you don't want the device size to change. It's really nice and damn-near perfect now. But if the screen itself can grow, sure.

For the record, I was never opposed to a "bigger screen iPhone", if - if - the device itself doesn't grow to a ridiculous Pop Tart-sized thing like some of these other phones we sometimes laugh at. After almost five years, I've got a certain feel that I like...and would like maintained.

There is space in the upper and lower parts of the iPhone to expand this a bit (and if the phone itself had to grown in any dimension, vertically is way less disruptive than horizontally...if it's a half-inch or so taller, big deal. It'll still feel the same when you hold it in your hand for all the vertically-oriented things you do like talking and so forth). And when you're in horizontal mode (games, etc.), you're using two hands at that point anyway, so what's the problem?

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-23, 13:00

I'll tell you what, this is the first iPhone update in a long time that I've been really excited for. Possible design change, larger screen, potentially LTE, Siri updates/iOS 6, ect. I'm due for an upgrade, just can't wait til sept/oct rolls around.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-23, 13:49

You and me both. I've got a little more income flowing in lately, and it won't be a problem to pick one up as soon as they're released. I'm not going to do the "stand in line" craziness, but I'll certainly do what I can, within reason, to have one within a few weeks of release.

I'm looking forward to a new look/design. Now that I've done this a few time - myself and others - it'll be actually fun to set up a new iOS device and know that it's mine.

Can't wait. 2012 should see both a new iPhone and Mac for me (knock on wood)...

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-23, 14:01

When I got the iPhone 4, I preordered mine online through Apple the first day and got it right around release day if I'm not mistaken. The one thing I hope, and it probably won't happen, is that the service providers (Verizon, AT&T, ect) will loosen up on their data plans some. I have the grandfathered AT&T unlimited but still get throttled around 3GB of usage. I don't do anything crazy either. I listen to a 2 hour podcast from a Kentucky radio station every day, use Spotify on the low bandwidth setting, and standard browsing/tweeting, ect and I regularly use around 3GB/mo.

It'd be nice if for LTE packages they would increase it to 4 or even 5GB. I haven't looked at plans in forever so I don't know if they have changed anything, but I feel like I'm cutting corners to not go over my data usage every month.

@yontsey

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-23, 14:07

I'm still gonna keep my 200MB, and I may ditch my texting plan altogether if I continue to be surrounded by other iOS users and can use iMessage for that. Right now, I have two people in my life I "green bubble text" with. And one is half a soul-draining flake-pot who could be out of the picture at any moment (and I kinda wish she was, frankly) and the other is somewhat new/recent, but we don't really text as much as we e-mail or talk (phone or in person). So I'd love to be able to cut that service and that would free up about $10 off my bill...

I'm only keeping it right now until I see how things go with the new iOS and iPhone release in a few months. I'll make my move then (I may have to stipulate that any new friends or whatevers that come into my life are iPhone-based, just so they don't bleed me on texting).

"Sorry, you're on Android. I can't be your friend (but not for the reasons you think)...".

Working from home these days, and then surrounded by WiFi anywhere I go (all my family, friends, favorite two pubs, etc.), I never even come close to breaking the 100MB mark each month, never mind 200 and beyond...in fact, AT&T should give "sippers" like me a break as a "thank you" for helping offset all those people who do everything via 3G, 24/7 (like my sister).

Reasonable, modest users like me are the reason their networks don't go down or get clogged beyond hope. I'm doing them a favor by not downloading every app and silly-ass movie over 3G.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-23, 14:10

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of people I text that have iOS devices.

For example, right now I'm 11 days into my billing cycle and I've used 1.25GB of data and have used roughly 1250+ texts. Like I said, I use most of my data listening to podcasts while I'm driving.

@yontsey

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-23, 14:18

We're on such opposite ends of the billing/usage spectrum, it's not even funny.

I'm six days into my cycle and I've got 36 texts and 41.49MB (of 200MB) used. And neither of those will grow much larger in the next 24 days. I might hit 60-70 texts and ~75MB data (I was somewhere the other day where I was on 3G-only for most of a 24-hour period, which accounts for the unusually high number after only a week). Any other time, six days in, I'd be something like 10-12MB.

I shouldn't even register on AT&T's radar at this point...

Eugene
careful with axes

2012-05-23, 17:57

...What do you use your iPhone for? Offline apps and talking? Wat, people talk on their phones?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-23, 18:38

Honestly, pretty much everything I want to do...other than massive streaming/downloading of stuff via 3G. I've just never been that hard up for entertainment or distraction.

As I said earlier, I'm surrounded by Wifi in the places I go most. And when I'm out and about, I'm often driving so I'm not using the phone then. I'll check e-mail or texts while at a store, but I'm usually there to do other things, so I'm not going to surf or download/stream stuff then either. And the thing gets completely turned off while I'm in a movie because I don't even want to be tempted to look at it if I feel it vibrate. That's my two-hour refuge from the world, and the only time I'm ever truly unreachable.

But I don't limit myself when out or make any special effort to "not use it". If I want to surf somewhere on 3G (waiting for someone, killing time in an airport, parking lot or non-wifi bar or restaurant), I certainly will, and do. But it's never enough to tally up to any big numbers. But I don't download music, movies or apps over 3G, no. When I travel and know I'm going to be out and about for a day, away from any wifi, I'll just make it a point to load up my favorite 150 or so songs (which I usually have onboard anyway), and maybe 5-10 episodes of various favorite podcasts (stuff from 5by5 and Yeah It's That Bad). So between that (using it as an iPod, with stuff pre-loaded) and general surfing/e-mailing, I'm good for the day.

I use Safari, Mail, Scrabble, Boggle, DrawSomething (I know... ), Maps, YouTube, iTunes, App Store, iBooks, Camera, Photos, Weather, Calendar, Guitar Machine (a guitar tuner), Weather Channel, Fandango, Twitter, Pages and Around Me on a fairly consistent, ongoing basis. And, yes...talking and Messages.

It's just that I'm usually on a Wifi network when doing those things so it's never eating much into my data allotment. Which is why, after nearly five years, I can still easily get by with the cheaper 200MB plan.

App-wise, about the only things I don't ever launch/use are Game Center, Compass, Newsstand and the Stocks widget.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2012-05-23 at 18:49.

Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-29, 11:49

I have been thinking day, along with looking at the new "rumor" pictures of the iPhone 5, and looking at the new, smaller dock connector, what if Apple went with a MagSafe style connector? Is something like that feasible?

@yontsey

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-05-29, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I have been thinking day, along with looking at the new "rumor" pictures of the iPhone 5, and looking at the new, smaller dock connector, what if Apple went with a MagSafe style connector? Is something like that feasible?
OMG I was just thinking that too.

iPods and iPhones might not weigh enough to disconnect themselves from a tripped-over cable, MagSafe or no. But iPads do. I think it makes sense to build MagSafe into any new dock connector.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-05-29, 22:59

What's the deal with that back plate... Am I alone in thinking its ugly?

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-29, 23:57

No, it's weird as can be.

Quagmire
meh

2012-05-30, 00:08

I am loving though that the steel band on the black version is black as well now.

Even though I regard the 4 design as the best smartphone design ever, I still wish the redesign was more radical like the 3G/S to 4 redesign was. Putting aluminum in between the glass back and pretty much calling it a day is so conservative of Apple.....

giggity

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-05-30, 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
No, it's weird as can be.
And not weird in a good way.

Is an all-glass back actually a problem? Like, in the real world, not in the "the iPhone sucks because it's so incredibly fragile" minds of certain online commentators? Because they'll just move to saying the iPhone sucks for some other reason.

Maybe I should just get a 4S. I'd like a larger screen, but I'd also like being able to use the current (and huge) ecosystem of iPhone 4/4S accessories. And I like the all-white back more than that aluminum one.

¡Damned!

2012-05-30, 09:07

Maybe it's to enable wireless charging? Apple's all about cutting the cord, y'know.

Just throwing that out there.

I mean, it has to serve some purpose. As just a design element it feels very un-Apple-ey.

So it goes.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-05-30, 11:14

Are we sure it's even legit? A lot of these things "leak" out in the weeks and months leading up, and we see how many of them have turned out false or hoaxes. Something about it simply doesn't ring true, or says "Apple", to me.

Granted, if this is legit then I'll learn to deal with it. Several Apple products over the years have looked odd, uninspired - or even a bit ugly - in pre-release spy shots, or Apple's own PR photography. It's always been the case that seeing and touching/holding these things in person goes a long way. You notice and appreciate the little touches and details you simply can't pick up on in photos. The way it feels in your hand, its responsiveness when you use it, the weight, the brightness and clarity of the screen, etc. Enough of those can often cancel out "ugly".

I can forgive an odd-looking iPhone if I have to...because it's an iPhone. It isn't going to suck, after all. And news flash...I don't buy these things for their looks. That's merely a nice back-end benefit/icing on the cake. Apple, so far, just makes it look easy...the powerful, easy-to-use and fun OS combined with sleek, stylish hardware.

Quagmire
meh

2012-05-30, 11:26

I do remember people calling the iPhone 4's leaks a Chinese knockoff, fake, ugly, unApple, etc. Now it's loved. Now I was sort of in the ugly camp due to the lines in the steel frame. Saying it was unApple like design feature to have random breaks. Of course at WWDC, we learned that the lines served a purpose in the new external antenna.

We do have to wait and see the fully assembled product in higher res shots.

giggity

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-06, 09:25

AppleInsider: Insiders say Apple upgrading next-gen iPhone to display to 4" with 16:9 ratio.

Quote:
Apple is likely to increase the size of the display on its next iPhone to 4.08 inches, with a resolution of 1,136 x 640 pixels and a ratio of 16:9, according to one analyst with a strong track record.

KGI analyst Mingchi Kuo, known for having sources deep within Apple's supply chain, expects Apple to release a taller iPhone later this year that will switch from a 3.5-inch 4:3 display to a 4-inch 16:9 screen, according to a research note obtained by AppleInsider.

"We expect iPhone 5 to feature a 4.08-inch in-cell IPS panel screen with a display resolution of 1,136 x 640 and 500-nit brightness," Kuo wrote.

The analyst noted that the above specs would represent a valid compromise of Apple's values of single-handed operability, backwards compatibility with iPhone apps, battery life and an improved user experience derived from having a larger screen.
Some interesting points throughout (some which have already been made here, I believe).

Quote:
Lengthening the screen without making it wider would serve more than just an ergonomic purpose. Kuo believes the unchanged width would save on app redevelopment costs because legacy apps could simply be letterboxes. The 16:9 resolution would provide more viewing space while typing in portrait mode and would more naturally display films in landscape mode. The analyst also claimed that a longer iPhone would bring the speaker close to users' ears and the receiver closer to their mouths.
While not ideal (letterboxing), it does mean that, out of the gate, people shouldn't have to scramble too hard - or customers wait for updated apps - to use what they've been using? I'm sure the more on-the-ball developers (ones actually making a dent and splash in all this stuff) will work hard on tweaking their apps for a new screen. And for those who don't, it's hardly a tragedy. It'll be the same stuff you've been using/playing all these years. And depending on how they do the letterboxing, you may not even notice it much at all (black letterboxing on a black-faced phone, etc.).

I'd be happy with this. A phone that's slightly taller, but the same width (and, therefore, grip/feel in your hand as all along). Movies and videos, which I actually watch on my iPhone more and more (especially lying in bed at night or in the early mornings) will nicely fill the screen too.

It's going to be another winner, no matter what. But I appreciate the fact that Apple hasn't seen fit to go the 4.5" route, making it bigger in all dimensions and taking the phone itself with it (making it larger). I never balked at a larger screen, just a larger phone. If Apple can figure out a way to get a larger screen by simply using more of the face of the existing design, that's great. And if it has to increase in one direction, vertically seems to be the way to go.

They're never going to taper or teardrop (because it feels "off" when used landscape), and they're never going to un-center the display from the face. Take those two things to the bank, and then work whatever other ideas or "rules" around that. I think the iPhone is always going to be, and feel, symmetrical and balanced...both in terms of holding/using it, and visually (the screen centered on the face. I think those are two constant, non-negotiable things inside Apple.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-06-06, 09:39

Good iPhone apps already have vertical flexibility due to the double-tall status bar that appears when you're on a call, recording, or tethering. A taller iPhone is a piece of cake for devs. It'll be a lot easier for devs than the retina switch was, that's for sure.

Apple seems to have decided that ~2.3" is the maximum width for a device designed for the human hand. I have an original iPod kicking around and it's amazing how similar it feels in the hand to an iPhone 4S. It's basically the same form factor, just 1/3 the thickness.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-06, 10:11

Yeah, I think that's where it all lies. The "hold comfortably, and use, with one hand". I don't think Apple looks to ever depart from that, and I think that will be the thing they hinge all their designs and refreshes on. They can dress it up, increase this, decrease that, try this material, put the antennas here, put the earphone jack there, etc., but that whole thing of "can you hold it in your hand and, with reasonable comfort and minimal effort, easily control and use the thing" will come first.

And simply going larger in one dimension - a dimension that makes all the sense in the world, IMO - is the way to go about that. I don't want a phone so damn big that I have to "two-hand" it (nobody does).

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-06-06, 10:27

Quote:
I don't want a phone so damn big that I have to "two-hand" it (nobody does).
Careful with generalizations like that. The "bare-knuckled bucket of does" crowd will gravitate to oversized phones. I have a buddy who is a mechanical engineer, he loves to get his hands dirty with this type of stuff. He got a Galaxy Nexus a few months ago and claims to love it. I personally think that it is way too big, but the fact that it has a 4.65" screen, a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor and a gig of RAM is why he bought it. When phone searching he literally just went for the biggest numbers he could find.

I don't think that's a very good mentality for buying something as important as your phone (number one thing I look for in a smartphone? fewest headaches possible, which throws Android right out the window) but there is a market for it.

Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-06-06, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraetos View Post
Careful with generalizations like that.
Okay...how about "anyone who isn't a goober of a spec-whore"?

¡Damned!

2012-06-06, 17:19

Quote:
Careful with generalizations like that. The "bare-knuckled bucket of does" crowd will gravitate to oversized phones. I have a buddy who is a mechanical engineer, he loves to get his hands dirty with this type of stuff. He got a Galaxy Nexus a few months ago and claims to love it. I personally think that it is way too big, but the fact that it has a 4.65" screen, a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor and a gig of RAM is why he bought it. When phone searching he literally just went for the biggest numbers he could find.

I don't think that's a very good mentality for buying something as important as your phone (number one thing I look for in a smartphone? fewest headaches possible, which throws Android right out the window) but there is a market for it.
My brother has one of those things they advertise as a hybrid Tablet/Phone.... I forget what they're called. He's always trying to goad me on how much better Android is and how he can do anything I can do on my phone. UNTIL I see him taking a call and trying to message anyone.

"Do you really need two hands to take a phone call? What are you doing? Are you surfing with two hands? What is that thing? Why don't you carry it in your pocket?" (he carries it in his upper shirt pocket because it can't fit in his pants)

I love him dearly, but he's totally in the fray. We were shopping the other day and I grabbed a Kindle Fire, held it up to my ear, "Hello? Hello! That's what you look like, putz."

So it goes.

Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2012-06-06, 17:49

Quote:
Okay...how about "anyone who isn't a goober of a spec-whore"?
Fair, but methinks the "spec-whore" market is bigger than you think. Small compared to the market at large, but not insignificant.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-06-06, 18:11

Quote:
And he's an engineer? You don't say!

#generalizations

Quagmire
meh

2012-06-07, 05:15

It looks a lot better with this higher res video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8XY841RAY4Y

Partial
Stallion

2012-06-07, 10:52

The iPhone video looks gorgeous. Love love love the changes they're making!

If the antennas are on the outside of the case, why not make the entire back aluminum? I'm sure there is a reason that I'm guessing has to do with wi-fi.

It may not be the thinnest phone on the planet when it's released, but the design is beautiful. I really like the sturdy feel and heft of the iPhone 4S, and this looks poised to feel even more solid.

I wonder if instead of having a quad core A9 based chip, it will utilize a dual core, battery sipping A15 chip? The speed of the A5 is more than adequate, at least with iOS 5, so I would rather have an A15 based chip that uses less power.

So excited! I won't be able to get one because I bought a 4S in October, but I do love this stuff.

Any chance they announce it and demo it at WWDC? I doubt it, but I also think they'll publicly announce it at least one month before release to give devs an opportunity to update apps for new aspect ratio. I cannot imagine Apple having the press conference a week before it's release like they did for the 4S as they want to have as many apps looking great as possible. This will be by far the biggest iPhone launch ever.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...

Quagmire
meh

2012-06-07, 11:00

I doubt it will be coming at WWDC. They first need to release iOS 6 beta to developers( which will be at WWDC). Though all these leaks seem to have odd timing. Last year, all we had was pieces( camera, dock connector, etc) around this time. We didn't start getting the frame until August-September. We now practically have the whole phone outside the logic board, battery, and screen.

giggity