Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Xbox One replacing 360... gotchas?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Xbox One replacing 360... gotchas?
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-11-23, 13:24

Alright, I'm a n00ber. (That's half n00b, half goober.) My first Xbox experience has been with my girlfriend's boys, and they have a 360, four wireless controllers, and a plethora of games. I was touting to her that we should get them an Xbox One for Xmas, grabbing the Assassin's Creed Unity bundle from Costco, since they could keep using their controllers and games with it.

*BZZZZZT*

Seriously? Moving to One requires a completely new investment in the infrastructure? And you have to keep your old console on the shelf to play your old games?

Da fuq?

Someone please tell me I'm finding old information, and that M$ pulled their heads out of their asses in the meantime.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-11-23, 18:21

You have the right information. MS changed to coding language, so older games are not compatible.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2014-11-23, 18:48

Not even an emulator for the software?

Lazy asses. :P

And what about the wireless controllers? What Amazing New Bulletpoint Feature(tm) did they add that broke *THAT* bit of compatibility?? Or was it just for general shits and giggles?
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2014-11-23, 19:01

Didn't reddit release some fake instructions last year to "unlock" somesort of reverse compatibility mode, but actually bricked those devices permanently?

A looot of people wanted that feature. Poor saps.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-11-23, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Not even an emulator for the software?

Lazy asses. :P

And what about the wireless controllers? What Amazing New Bulletpoint Feature(tm) did they add that broke *THAT* bit of compatibility?? Or was it just for general shits and giggles?
No idea why accessories and games were not made to be compatible, most likely just to increase MS's bottom line.

I think what really happened was that the PS4 came out sooner than MS thought and they were behind. Now a year in the PS4 is still outselling the Xbox One, and Sony did the same thing, so I'm guessing it comes down to games. Not that I know a lot about it, since I haven't bought a console for a long time, and that was the N64.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-23, 19:35

All the upgrade needs is why we actually invested more into our Xbox 360 instead of an Xbox One and the stuff for it too. Sure we will upgrade, eventually. For now, everything we want still plays very well on the 360 and we have no real incentive to upgrade.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.