Retina 5K iMac (2014)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Retina 5K iMac (2014)
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-10-16, 13:33

Specs:
  • 5120x2880 display
  • 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 (up to 4.0 GHz Core i7)
  • 8 GB RAM
  • 1TB Fusion Drive
  • AMD Radeon R9 M290X (up to R9 M295X)
  • $2499

I'm shocked it took a Mac announcement to make me feel excited enough to start one of these threads. To put things into perspective, the new iMac costs as much as Dell's equivalent 5K display, but the iMac has a whole computer inside it. The guts listed above minus the screen probably cost over $800 at retail. Now factor in all the other hardware not listed like the mainboard, PSU, I/O, enclosure, mouse/keyboard, etc. This is the best deal in a new iMac since, uh, the first 27" iMac.
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-16, 13:34

The AMD GPU is disappointing. The 4790K is surprising.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-10-16, 13:43

Seems bizarre and dirty that apple still offers aperture as an add on for this.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-10-16, 13:47

How is the M295X disappointing? It's fairly close to an 880M and the 980M was probably too new. Also AMD GPUs have been far better in OpenCL-based compute benchmarks/apps.
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-16, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
How is the M295X disappointing? It's fairly close to an 880M and the 980M was probably too new. Also AMD GPUs have been far better in OpenCL-based compute benchmarks/apps.
The top end AMD GPU is ONLY 7% faster than the 780M( only 4% faster than the 880M). Powering that 5K display, it means most likely this is going to be like the first gen retina MBP's. GPU is inadequate to power it. And Apple has a history of getting early access to hardware.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...force-gtx-780m

Even if Apple couldn't get early access to the 980M they should have waited a month or two.....

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...n-r9-m295x-4gb

giggity
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-10-16, 14:02

Yes, wait until midway through Apple's fall quarter to release a new product. When's the last time they did that? The GPU is perfect adequate for 2D at 5120x2880 and since nobody plays high-end games on Macs, I don't see the 3D performance as an issue. If you're a pro who works in 3D, you have the Mac Pro as an option and a number of high PPI displays from third parties to choose from.
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-16, 14:05

Quote:
Yes, wait until midway through Apple's fall quarter to release a new product. When's the last time they did that? The GPU is perfect adequate for 2D at 5120x2880 and since nobody plays high-end games on Macs, I don't see the 3D performance as an issue. If you're a pro who works in 3D, you have the Mac Pro as an option and a number of high PPI displays from third parties to choose from.
I play X-Plane 10. The iMac is the best Mac for gaming. So color me disappointed that the retina iMac will most likely be worse than my iMac with the 4670 and the 780M at playing it.....

I would have to get the D700 if I wanted a decent Mac Pro GPU and it still worse than the iMac with the 780M (in respect to X-Plane).

giggity
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-10-16, 14:15

Then live with the fact that you game on a Mac. You can build a gaming PC that is also a Hackintosh for $500-1500. And Yosemite supports the GTX 970/980 out of the box.
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-16, 14:18

Quote:
Then live with the fact that you game on a Mac. You can build a gaming PC that is also a Hackintosh for $500-1500. And Yosemite supports the GTX 970/980 out of the box.
I do accept that, but still give me the best GPU possible still for what consumers do typically( not professionals). Apple did that with the last two versions of the iMac. They regressed HUGELY this version.

giggity
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-10-16, 14:37

Damn. Makes me want it instantly. Every working photographer buying a computer is going to want one. How much easier is it going to be to judge sharpening for print? Feather selections, etc. The first desktop machine that can let you soft proof right on the screen in real time?

Is it 10 bit? aRGB? I might have to sell an organ.

Edit. Wait. It's actually something of a deal and I can keep both my kidneys and still afford to do some damage to my liver on Friday night.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-10-16, 15:08

Someone mentioned in the event thread that it's only 8 bit.

The Danish Apple Store is now up again and I can now see very unpleasantly how the Dollars rise in relation to the Euro has affected prices.

FYI: we don't use Euros in Denmark. But our Krone is pegged to the Euro, so when the Euro zone shits itself, we follw suit.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-10-16, 17:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
The AMD GPU is disappointing. The 4790K is surprising.
I doubt it is the 4790k (which premium unlocked processor, sold to over-clocking enthusiasts), although it likely from the 4790 series. Sorry, just nit picking As for your dislike for AMD, too bad, cry me a river. I doubt the games you play will even function at 5k, regardless of the GPU. All but some of the newest games top out at 2560x1440 output (for reasonable FPS in non-multi GPU setups), so I doubt GPU power will be a big issue for the time being. Regardless you don't have to buy it today, since your current GPU is so wonderful.
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-16, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
I doubt it is the 4790k (which premium unlocked processor, sold to over-clocking enthusiasts), although it likely from the 4790 series. Sorry, just nit picking
Unless it is a custom Intel job, the 4790K is the only CPU clocked at 4 Ghz with a 4.4 Ghz TurboBoost. I am sure Apple locked it down under OS X though.

We'll have to see once iFixit tears it down.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-16, 19:08

Could be the 4790k, but I think it would more likely be a custom locked version. Considering the compact size of the new iMacs I have a hard time believing they could adequately cool a 88W max TDP processor, could be wrong though. I doubt OS X would have any control directly over the max CPU speed, so that would have to be done via EFI (firmware).

As you said, we'll know once they tear it down!
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-16, 19:25

Quote:
Could be the 4790k, but I think it would more likely be a custom locked version. Considering the compact size of the new iMacs I have a hard time believing they could adequately cool a 88W max TDP processor, could be wrong though. I doubt OS X would have any control directly over the max CPU speed, so that would have to be done via EFI (firmware).

As you said, we'll know once they tear it down!
Would 4W really make that much of a difference in cooling (4790 is 84W)? My 4670( max of 84W as well) runs at 38-41 C idle and 56 to 60 C when running X-Plane with the fan at 2600 RPM.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-10-16, 19:34

I don't have a current generation, ultra thin machine, but I think the iMac's run much to hot for the size and cooling ability. Thus I use an software fan controller and would never let my GPU run that hot for extended periods of time. After all it's not just the GPU or CPU itself, but the components around them, which may not be designed to handle that kind of heat, that leads to problems with iMac's.
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-16, 19:38

Quote:
I don't have a current generation, ultra thin machine, but I think the iMac's run much to hot for the size and cooling ability. Thus I use an software fan controller and would never let my GPU run that hot for extended periods of time. After all it's not just the GPU or CPU itself, but the components around them, which may not be designed to handle that kind of heat, that leads to problems with iMac's.
My iMac runs much cooler than my parents Late 2009 27" iMac Core i7 and my 17" MBP C2D. My X-Plane temps of 56-60 C for the 4670 and 63-66 C for the 780M is the idle temp of my MBP......

giggity
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-17, 19:53

Well iFixit's teardown had the 4690. So no confirmation if it is the 4790K or a custom 4790.....
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-17, 21:13

On both the iMac and Mac mini, did Apple bump up their BTO pricing on processor, RAM, storage, etc.? Seems like the prices to bump those things are a bit higher than before, or is my memory loopy?
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-17, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
On both the iMac and Mac mini, did Apple bump up their BTO pricing on processor, RAM, storage, etc.? Seems like the prices to bump those things are a bit higher than before, or is my memory loopy?
For the iMac, the CPU went up by $50 which makes sense considering the 4790K is more expensive than the 4790( well $30 more). RAM and storage is the same. The GPU upgrade went up by $100.

giggity
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-10-17, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
RAM is the same. Storage went up, but only because they now offer the 1TB drive only in the Fusion Drive option. The i7 option definitely went through the roof. Apple managed this by removing it as the standard processor on the premium ($799) model. Now, you have to jump into the $1000 range for i7, but it is now only dual core as opposed to quad core. I'll be curious to see the performance gains (losses ?) with that decision.

The Mac Mini upgrade is a bit of a let down, actually.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-10-17, 23:02

Yeah, I was playing around and piecing things together and the numbers were all coming out a lot higher than I expected/remembered. Bummer.

Also, no changes were made to the existing iMac lineup, correct? Just the 27" Retina model added, but the existing non-Retina 21.5" and 27" iMacs weren't touched/updated at all yesterday. Everything seems the same on those.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-10-19, 18:50

Well, that's cool. I went to look at the 5k iMac site, and at the top of the page there's a full screen image of a hiker throwing out their hands in front of a waterfall (same imaged they used in the Keynote presentation). But when you go to do the customary scroll down (two fingered swipe on the MacBook Pro, of course) instead of scrolling it starts to zoom back-- and back, and back, until you realize the figure and waterfall were just a small section of the entire image, which is ultimately revealed to be on the display of the iMac. They did this same pullback during the Keynote, but it's a really clever way to start the introduction to this machine on a web page. Oh, Apple, I swear.....

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-10-19, 18:54

OK, there's further coolness-- as you scroll down you get to some tech specs on the right with an image of an iMac running (I guess iMovie? Possibly FCP in some mode?). But as you scroll further the iMac image holds still as the right hand text moves on to talking about Yosemite, and the iMac screen dissolves to a shot some overlaid Yosemite windows. A small thing but it feels cool.

I've seen some of this kind of dynamic behavior occasionally on other websites (chiefly using parallax scrolling, it seems like) so I assume this has to do with the latest iteration of HTML? Which maybe Safari is particularly good about? Huh, just checked on the latest build of Firefox and the iMac transition thing works but the opening zoom doesn't.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Quagmire
meh

2014-10-22, 11:17

Geek bench sees the CPU as the 4790K.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/1061688
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-10-22, 19:37

The education price is outstanding. $2299.

If it had 16GB of RAM standard I think I would purchase it right now.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-10-23, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
The education price is outstanding. $2299.

If it had 16GB of RAM standard I think I would purchase it right now.
You can bump it up for $99, so it's still a great deal.