User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iCloud
Page 7 of 8 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  Next Thread Tools
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-24, 02:24

I realize Find My iPhone isn't new to iCloud, but it is now free for those without an iPhone 4. Since I still have a 3G, that means it's how it's become available to me.

Apparently, on my way to the connecting tram, my iPhone fell out of my pocket. I only noticed that the headphones were suddenly loose; I didn't think much of it at the time, and was in a rush. Got in, sat down, and realized it wasn't anywhere. Started thinking where I had last seen it. Had I left it at home? No… probably not.

So the first thing I did when arriving at work? Go to icloud.com, open Find My iPhone, locate it, see it's moving (yay, someone found it), and send a message with an alert. A few minutes later? Someone calls saying she found it.

For all the cloud hype, services like this are actually quite useful.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-10-24, 06:13

Last year, I dropped my iPhone into the bottom of the tub we use to store our Christmas decorations. It ended up in the attic before I realized it was missing. I'm 100% sure I never would have found it up there were it not for the loud beeping sound of the alert.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-28, 08:08

Has anyone here switched from Dropbox to iCloud? Can you access files on iCloud on non-iOS devices?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2011-10-28, 08:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkcdude View Post
Has anyone here switched from Dropbox to iCloud? Can you access files on iCloud on non-iOS devices?
The two aren't really that comparable. iCloud has no file system to speak of, so you can only access files with a suitable app.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2011-10-28, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
The two aren't really that comparable. iCloud has no file system to speak of, so you can only access files with a suitable app.
Ok, thanks. Then I'll probably stick with Dropbox (and Amazon for music) for now.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2011-10-28, 09:28

Find My iWhatever is great. On several occasions with myself and others, it has really saved the day.

It, combined with a passcode and my lock-screen contact info graphic, pretty much allows me to use this stuff worry-free. I know I'm either gonna track it, an honest person has a way to contact me and a snooping dishonest person is locked out. Plus, I've got the ability to remote wipe if I realize retrieval is a lost cause.

I know people who walk around with none of the above in place. I think they're crazy. Do something to help your chances! With Find My iPhone being free and do easy to set up, there's no excuse to at least not do that (and a 4-digit passcode when you're out and about).

These things are high-value targets...the least you can do is make things difficult for any shitheads looking to steal them. Give them a dose of hassle and aggravation on the front-end.

"This device is locked and you're being tracked. You're too stupid to know how to disable either, so why dont you quit while you're ahead and just drop it off at the nearest police station while you still can? You have 20 minutes...".

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-23, 20:38

So what's up with this?

Anyone else have an issue like this? I have gone through a removed most of the app backups because I don't need them to be backed up to the could. They are really just games I can start over at any time.

For some reason I can't find what is taking up so much storage and can't clear it. Now it's like I'm being forced to upgrade my iCould account to the paid tier. Anyone else have this issue? Can't find where the storage is? Am I missing something here? I did remove the Camera roll from the backups because Photo Stream takes care of this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-23, 21:23

I think email counts towards your iCloud allotment.

Edit: indeed it does.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-23, 22:26

But, but, but....I don't use iCloud email at all. 0 messages in any inbox. I use IMAP for my mail with my own personal domains. I went through the links and for some reason it just seems to really think I need +7GB for backup space.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Partial
Stallion

2012-03-24, 00:08

That does seem high. I'm at .4GB for the back-up of an iPad and an iPhone.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-24, 00:33

Yup, that seems like a lot. I'm using around 600MB between my iPhone and iPad. Are you using iTunes match or photo stream? I'm not sure if those are counted with iCloud though.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-03-24, 11:46

I"m using both of those and they aren't supposed to count toward your iCloud storage. Hmmm... In the mean time I have stopped syncing with iCloud and sync with my MBP now. I'll keep trying though, at least I know I have a good backup though.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-02, 21:23

So my iPhone just got worse and worse. It was up to 10.6GB this afternoon after I disabled backing up all the apps. There was no reason in the world my storage should be so high.

I called AppleCare and I have to tell you that was the worse customer service call I've ever had. Worthless doesn't describe it. I got better support from Verizon. Really. Basically the guy said I needed to see a Genius to figure out what was going on, oh and pay for AppleCare since my 90 days are up.

My wife wanted to go to Gymboree and so I set an appointment to head to the Apple Store. They are at the same mall in Norfolk so away we went. I love the Apple Store App because I didn't need to go to any blue shirt to check in, I did it from my Apple Store App! I played on an iPad until a roving Genius came by and chatted with me.

By the time I was showing him the storage need had jumped to 11GB. He was stumped and so he took it back to some other Genius in the back. They couldn't figure out why the number had climbed and seemed to keep climbing. So I was sent home to do a backup and restore.

So now I'm doing just that. I'll let you know how it works out...after all 37GB gets restored on it.

Last edited by turtle : 2012-04-03 at 06:30.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-02, 23:15

Well, that didn't work.

Notice it's grown since the 11GB at the Apple store! I did turn off EVERY thing in that list. Even with them all enabled, it's only 200MB or so. I guess I'm going to have to do a clean install and manually add each app and setting again. I don't want to put this much work into my phone. This is why I have an iPhone....

drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-04-02, 23:37

That really sucks, T.
Keep us up to date - especially those of us thinking about upgrading this year.
I want all the bugs squished before I get my magic phone.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-04, 20:56

So I ended up doing a clean install and manually select apps to get them on there. In the end, as of early this morning anyway, all is looking good:

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-04, 21:10

I've had to tweak my Mom's and sister's settings a bit. I need to get on Lion (and iCloud) so I can get a better grasp on all this.

I'm kinda "flying blind", trying to help everyone around me (who are on Lion and iCloud while I'm still on Snow Leopard and MobileMe).

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-04-08, 21:57

I had to manually shut off iCloud backup of VLC's data. All the media files were being backed up to the cloud as data.. and I quickly hit the 5 GB limit.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2012-04-09, 17:42

Yeah, I've seen where some apps take up lots of storage. Then once they are on there you have to delete the backup and start over to free up the space.

So far this seems to have been the trick. My storage issue has been resolved.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2012-04-10, 15:16

Wow. I just checked mine. Apparently my iPhone is utilising 7.3GB, of which Camera Roll is claiming 6.7GB - never been sync'd to iPhoto or Aperture... I must get around to cleaning that up.

Too many screenshots of apps for interaction design purposes I guess.

Oh, who am I kidding? It's the girl predominantly.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-04-18, 23:33

Apparently, Apple really wants people to start using iCloud. So much so, that they're apparently giving away free copies of Snow Leopard to MobileMe users still running Leopard, so that they can then upgrade (again) to Lion, which is required to use iCloud features.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-05-08, 14:10

I finally got around to setting up my iCal and Contacts for iCloud. I nearly had an anxiety attack doing it, especially with my Contacts, because I was afraid it was going to double my contacts or mess them up, but it went by with little pain.

iCal it did double existing contacts but I was able to sort that out pretty quickly. Nice to have this finally set up and rolling.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
drewprops
Space Pirate

2012-06-07, 21:24

MobileMe has less than a month to go so I'm looking at moving over to Lion, finally, even though teh Brad has warned me that it's not all super groovy for every app.

But, it's nearly time to do it. I only have a few PowerPC apps left and they're not super-mega-vital.

I may have to read some threads here to wrap my head around the change....

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-06-07, 21:27

iCloud has been seamless for me. Not a problem in months. Knock on wood...
ronmexico

2012-11-24, 00:39

So what are people's opinions of icloud and other cloud storage services? My limited experience with icloud was not impressive.
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-11-24, 05:17

Been having a lot of problems with Photostream recently. The photos won't sync unless I physically go in and launch photos on my iPhone.

I was under the impression that this happened in the background as long as you connected to wifi. Is that wrong? Any advice/help appreciated.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-11-24, 08:05

iCloud works for me because I have some specific expectations for it and I don't expect it to replace something like Dropbox at all.

I expect and need iCloud to:
- sync my contacts/calendars/bookmarks across all my devices
- backup and restore for new devices
Edit: photo stream. Also works perfectly when I'm in a good wifi connection.

That's honestly about it. Both of those things work perfectly for me and there is no other service out there that can do those things. I have *a lot* of devices right now (2 computers plus a third that syncs, an iPhone, 2 iPads) and they are all perfectly in sync. When I got my iPad mini, a restore from an iCloud backup worked perfectly as well.

In short, it does the job only it can and it does it well.

As far as documents in the cloud goes, it can't beat Dropbox and I don't think it needs to. Use each service for their strengths and it will make your life considerably easier.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2012-11-24, 08:25

I recently switched from backing up my iPhone locally on my Mac with iTunes to iCloud. My problem was that for some inexplicable reason iTunes couldn't sync my calendars and after a while it outright refused to sync anything on the iPhone. I had to do a restore to new phone to get it working again and after that ordeal I thought I might as well switch to iCloud. So far it has been smooth sailing, but just as torifile, I only use if for the basic stuff.

So far I think iCloud is doing a good job.
ronmexico

2012-11-24, 13:32

I haven't been very impressed with my limited experience playing with iCloud. The photo sharing has been extremely glitchy. I have had these pseudo folders that I never created that I could only remove if I did a hard reset and turned off the photo sharing feature. You would think that photo management would be a little easier...a little more seamless. Because of these issues just with the photo management I have been leery to try a paid version of iCloud.

I am interested in backing my data up in the cloud. My wife has some photos backed up on Dropbox and she is happy. I see that Google Drive offers a similar feature for less. She doesn't have much music so for her purposes Dropbox works well for photos and files. I have two hard drives full of music totaling around 300GB, most of which I did not acquire from iTunes. I like the idea of the iTunes music match and having additional storage for songs that are not in the iTunes library. Do other cloud services offer a nice music management capability for music that comes from multiple sources? I want to stay in the Apple ecosystem, but I haven't been too impressed with a lot of their software releases over the last few years. I am now looking at alternatives.

Edit: I have been looking and see that there is an Amazon Cloud Player and a Google Play. They would allow me to do essentially what iTunes music match does but it would require a third party app on my devices. Would love to hear if anyone has had some experience with these. I worry that Apple could remove these apps from their store if they get too competitive.

Last edited by ronmexico : 2012-11-25 at 13:15.
Partial
Stallion

2012-12-18, 12:00

Made keynote on Mac for a work presentation. It automatically showed up on my phone. I was able to open it on my phone, stream it wirelessly to the Apple TV in a conference room and use my phone to switch slides. WE ARE LIVING IN THE FUTURE.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...