Password
AppleNova Forums » Programmer's Nook »

Simple Text Editor App.. Saving

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Simple Text Editor App.. Saving
mooty

2006-07-04, 06:58

Hi All,

I am trying to write my first text application in cocoa... I have got a working app from an Apple tutorial, however when saving, it uses the following:

Code:
- (NSData *)dataRepresentationOfType:(NSString *)aType { NSData *data; [self setString:[textView textStorage]]; data = [NSArchiver archivedDataWithRootObject:[self string]]; return data; }
Which saves the content as not plain text. Is there anyway I can change the above to save as plain text ?

Any help / direction would be great! Thanks,
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-04, 07:49

Here's an IBAction that pulls up a save panel to ask the user for the destination, then stores a text file with the string textualOutput there:

Code:
234 - (IBAction)saveTextualOutput:(id)sender 235 { 236 #pragma unused(sender) 237 NSSavePanel * savePanel; 238 int runResult; 239 240 savePanel = [NSSavePanel savePanel]; 241 242 [savePanel setRequiredFileType:@"txt"]; 243 244 // TODO: auto-renaming, e.g. "filename 1.txt"? 245 runResult = [savePanel runModalForDirectory: 246 [NSHomeDirectory() stringByAppendingPathComponent:@"Desktop"] file: 247 NSLocalizedString(@"MenuTemperature Report", 248 @"MenuTemperature Report")]; 249 250 if (runResult == NSOKButton) 251 [[textualOutput dataUsingEncoding:NSUTF8StringEncoding] 252 writeToFile:[savePanel filename] atomically:YES]; 253 }
The main piece, of course, is the very last line, which calls - [NSString dataUsingEncoding:] on the NSString, then - [NSData writeToFile: atomically:] on the resulting NSData.
mooty

2006-07-05, 12:32

Cheers Chucker!!

How about this one?

I have an NSString variable like so:

Code:
NSString *filename = @"/Users/Me/whatever.txt";
I am trying to join that variable with a string like so:

Code:
NSString *newFilename = (@"file://%c", filename);
But all that does is give newFilename the value of filename. Obviously I am missing a trick here :-) any help is goooood! :-)

Thanks!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-07-05, 13:57

You could do:

Code:
NSString * newFilename = [@"file://" stringByAppendingString:filename];
Or, more like the way you wanted it:

Code:
NSString * newFilename = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"file://%@", filename];
%c is for C strings; %@ is for objects (including NSStrings).

There's also a stringByAppendingPathComponent method.

Lastly, what you're doing actually isn't necessary; filename is already a complete absolute path, at least in your particular example. You could turn it into a file:// URL if you wanted to, but it's not necessary (although I believe Apple is slowly trying to migrate over to using paths everywhere, but that shouldn't concern you until like 10.6).

If you want to go from @"/Users/Me/whatever.txt" (a path) to a URL, use [NSURL fileURLWithPath:@"/Users/Me/whatever.txt"]; , and to go backwards, use [NSURL path].
mooty

2006-07-05, 14:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker
If you want to go from @"/Users/Me/whatever.txt" (a path) to a URL, use [NSURL fileURLWithPath:@"/Users/Me/whatever.txt"]; , and to go backwards, use [NSURL path].
EXACTLY what I needed! :-) thats shortened my code considerably too :-) Thanks Chucker!

Okay, next question :-) hehe

I have my variable and search term:

Code:
NSString *filename = @"User/Me/Files/whatever.jpg"; NSString *searchTerm = @"Me/Files";
How can I search filename for my searchTerm ?

Also, can I split filename up into seperate array items or something, by the / character ?

Thx again for any advice!
chucker

2006-07-05, 15:11

Code:
[filename rangeOfString:searchTerm]
will return an NSRange of the first occurrence. To check if there is at least one occurrence, you could try (I haven't tested this!):

Code:
if ([filename rangeOfString:searchTerm].location != NSNotFound) {}
There may be an easier way.
mooty

2006-07-05, 16:37

thanks chucker...

I have split my filename up into an array... how do i access the values? I tried arrayName[2] but that doesn't seem to go good! :-)
chucker

2006-07-05, 16:57

No, that would be for C arrays.

Code:
[someArray objectAtIndex:2];
is the Cocoa equivalent.

Code:
[someArray count];
gives you an integer of how many items the array has.

If you want to modify the array later on, you need to use NSMutableArray.
mooty

2006-07-06, 05:31

thanks Chucker!! You're being a great help here...

I currently have the following:

Code:
NSString *filenameString = @"User/Me/Blah/hello.html"; NSArray *theComponents = [filenameString pathComponents]; int i = 1; int theComponentsCount = [theComponents count]; NSString *newFilename = @""; while (i < theComponentsCount) { if ([theComponents objectAtIndex:i] == @"Blah") { //Do Nothing } else { // Add to my new string newFilename = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@ NO MATCH", newFilename]; } i = i + 1; }
theComponents splits my filename into seperates:
[0]/
[1]User
[2]Me
[3]Blah

etc, but my if clause never matches key [3] with the string "Blah"... why god why!????

All I am trying to achieve is if the filename contains "Blah", get rid of it so we are left with "/Users/Me/hello.html"

But it shouldnt matter where "Blah" is..
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-07-06, 07:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooty
theComponents splits my filename into seperates:
[0]/
[1]User
[2]Me
[3]Blah
Are you sure about this? Double-check that it actually does what you think it does.
mooty

2006-07-06, 08:05

when i put the values of the keys into a textfield, they show as above...
chucker

2006-07-06, 08:29

First, technically, the Cocoa way of doing things is to use an NSEnumerator here, not an integer iterator. Shouldn't matter though and I can't be bothered to look it up right now

Second,
Code:
if ([theComponents objectAtIndex:i] == @"Blah")
is not an object comparison (I think this may, in fact, be your problem). You'd use
Code:
if ([[theComponents objectAtIndex:i] isEqualTo:@"Blah"])
or, since this is a string, better yet:
Code:
if ([[theComponents objectAtIndex:i] isEqualToString:@"Blah"])
Finally, and more relevant to your problem: I'd insert a few 'NSLog's to trace down what's going wrong. It's a very simple macro but can prove very powerful in tracking down mistakes. I have modified your code accordingly.

Code:
NSString *filenameString = @"User/Me/Blah/hello.html"; NSArray *theComponents = [filenameString pathComponents]; NSLog(@"Complete array: %@, with %i items", theComponents, [theComponents count]); int i = 1; int theComponentsCount = [theComponents count]; NSString *newFilename = @""; while (i < theComponentsCount) { NSLog(@"Current object: %@", [theComponents objectAtIndex:i]); if ([[theComponents objectAtIndex:i] isEqualToString:@"Blah"]) { //Do Nothing } else { // Add to my new string newFilename = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@ NO MATCH", newFilename]; } i = i + 1; }
Run it, and check console.log or STDOUT for log messages. If you're still unsure where the problem lies, post the output here.
chucker

2006-07-06, 08:37

Code:
NSString *filenameString = @"User/Me/Blah/hello.html"; NSArray *theComponents = [filenameString pathComponents]; NSEnumerator *ourEnumerator = [theComponents objectEnumerator]; NSObject *currentObject; NSLog(@"Complete array: %@, with %i items", theComponents, [theComponents count]); NSString *newFilename = @""; while (object = [enumerator nextObject]) { NSLog(@"Current object: %@", object); if ([[theComponents objectAtIndex:i] isEqualToString:@"Blah"]) { //Do Nothing } else { // Add to my new string newFilename = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@ NO MATCH", newFilename]; } }
Untested, mind you, but this is pretty much the equivalent code only using NSEnumerator.
mooty

2006-07-06, 08:50

that was it!! :-) IsEqualToString! Sorry I am still trying to get the hang of all this coming from PHP and .NET :-)