User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

possible to take bottom casing off MBP C2D to pop out dent...?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
possible to take bottom casing off MBP C2D to pop out dent...?
reardoma

2006-11-20, 22:54

Ok first post and not entirely sure what to say, so go easy on me because i really need some help on this one.
First of all, my machine is a 15" MBP with the new C2D processor, which i purchased on Oct. 27, 2006. Today, when looking at the back of my MBP, i noticed there is a dent in the bottom case, noticeable, about the circumference of a dime. The dent has hardly any depth, but like i said, it's noticeable. It is not in any way affecting the performance of the MBP.

So what should i do? I can think of three options, and here's what i've discovered concerning each possible route.....
(for those of you saying to yourselves "why does he care if the performance isn't altered" you clearly are underestimating how much my MBP means to me and how insane this dent would cause me to be)

1) Attempt to purchase applecare and submit for repair (no i do not have applecare currently) - called to speak about the scope of the warranty under applecare and was told cosmetic damage isn't covered.

2) Attempt to return to the store i purchased it from - don't think this would fly well.......

3) Attempt to buy one of those dent remover kits and gently attempt to suction the dent out - possible, but seems possible i could cause more damage

4) Attempt to open the bottom case and pop it out myself - same as 3...... can you even remove the bottom case on a MBP, or would i have to go in through the top (and wouldn't this void the warranty?)

Honestly guys, i'm just a bit freaked out about all of this, it seems like i've treated this computer with the utmost care, and yet i just happen to glance down and there is dent. I have no idea where to start, but the fact that the dent is there is driving me insane (to the point where i want to do whatever i can to fix this).

I didn't see the opportunity to attach a pic with this post, but if anyone feels they need to see the dent, send me an email to reardoma@gmail.com and i'll shoot you the pics.....

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.........

if you don't know anything about getting dents out, the question for you is, can you remove the bottom case of a C2D MBP or do you have to go from the top and lift up whatever is over the dent to pop it out?

iThink therefore iMac

2006-11-20, 23:03

Only one thread about this problem will do.

http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=20948

reardoma

2006-11-20, 23:06

sorry wasn't sure where to put it in order to have it answered quickest,

but my retort...

any answer will do.... do you have one? any help....

Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2006-11-21, 02:53

It's hard to say without looking at it, but if it's as described you'll probably have a hard time making it go away. The best solution is to take the back off and put it on a clean, very flat, very sturdy table. Then you put something very flat, extremely sturdy and larger than the dent on the dent and take a hammer to it.
I don't think the dent-removal tool will help you.
Yes, you will void the warranty taking it completely apart. Only the battery and memory are user-replaceable.

Depending on how noticeable the dent is, I think your best bet is to return it, although it's not exactly the morally correct thing to do.

Converted 07/2005.

Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-11-21, 08:01

See other thread.