User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

No more need for battery calibration?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
No more need for battery calibration?
BlueApple

2007-11-08, 06:11

I remember way back in 2005, the user manual of my iBook G4 mentioned about battery calibration. It said to charge the battery in full, then use it without plugging in power source, until the battery almost completely drained (the computer goes to sleep). Then charge it to full again.

However, I don't see something like that mentioned in the manual in the recent MacBook / MacBook Pro. Do you still do the battery calibration? Do we need that?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-11-08, 06:13

It's not as important any more, but it doesn't hurt. Intel laptops use lithium-ion-polymer batteries, rather than lithium-ion ones, so the behavior is slightly more ideal.
BlueApple

2007-11-08, 06:18

I also heard that if I let the battery drops to almost completely drained, the overall battery life decreases. Is that also the case on lithium-ion polymer batteries?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2007-11-08, 13:11

Yes, from what I've seen even more so. Don't let your battery fall bellow 10-15% or you still see a drop, maybe even a few hundred mAh if you go right down to 0%.
Sargasm

Send a message via AIM to Sargasm  
2007-11-08, 13:36

Aww shit. I've gone right down to 0% a few times with this PowerBook
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2007-11-08, 13:51

I've drained the battery on my iBook G4 (from 2004) numerous times.

The battery still has 88% of it's original capacity remaining, according to Coconut Battery.

That seems great to me for a three year old battery.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2007-11-08, 14:02

My MacBook just shuts itself off without warning!

There was an article on the discussion forums so I have just forced it back to BatteryUpdater 1.2, and am waiting to see if I get a warning.

Anyone else seen this problem?

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2007-11-08, 14:03

I did - they replaced the power inverter, no problems since.

(Although mine shut off at 99%!)
Gargoyle

2007-11-08, 14:05

I assume when this is when the battery is very low, but without the 15 min warning, it's hard to keep an eye on it. At the mo it's telling me I have 29mins.

OK, I have given up keeping this sig up to date. Lets just say I'm the guy that installs every latest version as soon as its available!
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2007-11-08, 14:06

Quote:
Despite its overall advantages, lithium-ion has its drawbacks. It is fragile and requires a protection circuit to maintain safe operation. Built into each pack, the protection circuit limits the peak voltage of each cell during charge and prevents the cell voltage from dropping too low on discharge. In addition, the cell temperature is monitored to prevent temperature extremes. The maximum charge and discharge current on most packs are is limited to between 1C and 2C. With these precautions in place, the possibility of metallic lithium plating occurring due to overcharge is virtually eliminated.
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

A good mac-centric post:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...30314081843218
ghoti
owner for sale by house

2007-11-08, 14:18

How old is your MacBook, Gargoyle? There were problems with some MBs where they would shut off without a warning due to some problem with a temperature sensor that would suddenly report bogus information. Geniuses at Apple Stores can check that easily and will replace the part (if still under warranty).
Gargoyle

2007-11-08, 14:28

I got it shortly after they came out, but I just got my low power warning so it looks like rolling back to BatteryUpdater 1.2 has fixed it.

Motor

2007-11-08, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
My MacBook just shuts itself off without warning!

There was an article on the discussion forums so I have just forced it back to BatteryUpdater 1.2, and am waiting to see if I get a warning.

Anyone else seen this problem?
I also have this problem. When my battery is between 15% and 30% full, my MacBook will shut off without warning. Then when I flip my computer over to check the battery meter on the battery itself, none of the lights come on at all. If I wait a little bit though, the battery meter will eventually show one or two lights. I got my MacBook in September 2006 and hadn't noticed this problem until recently (about the time my warranty expired actually).

Is this the type of thing your computer was doing? How do I go about forcing it back to BatteryUpdater 1.2?

Thanks
Gargoyle

2007-11-08, 16:03

First, download battery update 1.2 from here

Then in finder, goto <your HD>/System/Library/SystemConfiguration and do a "Get Info" on BatteryUpdater.bundle. If you have 1.3 then it sound like your in the exact same position as I was.

If so, drag BatteryUpdater.bundle to the trash and reboot (Don't bother trying to empty the trash, it's still loaded by the OS and won't let you)

After you reboot you'll be able to empty the trash and install the 1.2 version from the download. You'll have to reboot again, and then hopefully you'll be sorted.

Disclaimer: If you delete the wrong file and hose your system, or it has a fit it's not my fault!

Motor

2007-11-08, 18:45

Hey, sounds good I'll have to try that out. Hopefully it goes smoothly.

By the way, did you have the same issue with the battery meter not responding for a while after your computer shut off?
Gargoyle

2007-11-09, 03:25

Don't think I ever tried. If the software in the computer is not working properly then the battery is possibly being run almost 100% flat - so the meter will not show anything.

After a few mins of "rest" which probably involves slight changes in temperature, the chemicals in the battery probably gain a small amount of charge.