User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Milkshakes - Immersion Blender, or Milkshake Maker??

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Milkshakes - Immersion Blender, or Milkshake Maker??
zippy
Veteran Member

2012-04-20, 13:21

I've always made milkshakes with a traditional blender. And while it works OK, I've always had to kind of push the ice cream down into the blade - carefully. I've wanted to get a better blender, like a Breville, or Blendtec, but I wonder if it still wouldn't be better to make milkshakes with an immersion blender or one of those standalone milkshake mixers.

Does anyone have experience with either of those devices for making milkshakes?

An immersion blender would serve many other useful purposes, so I'm inclined to pick one up someday. If I just grabbed a few stainless steel shake cups to go with it, would that be a good solution?

I'd be looking at the near-$100 immersion blenders, like Kitchenaide, or Breville. There are others like the Bamix that sound awesome, but that's just way too much money.

As for the standalone milkshake makers, Hamilton makes a few models that are much less money, like this one, but there are also some more expensive units like this Waring model. They really only seem to be serving the one function, but if they do a much better job at it, it's worth considering one of the more affordable models. I don't know that I could spend more than $100 for something that just makes milkshakes/smoothies.

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-04-20, 13:53

I think I'd be more inclined to get the "does everything pretty well" rather a focused, just does these 1-2 things and is real expensive" route.

To me, ice cream and things like this are seasonal (I won't eat soup, stew or chili in the spring or summer, but I won't touch ice cream or smoothies in the fall or winter...the thought of either makes me cringe).

So I'd want something that I know I'd have a shot at using year-round for various things.

I do eat salsa and guacamole 12 months on, so I'd base my purchase on how good it came mash all that stuff up...knowing that if it does okay with avacado, garlic, tomatoes, etc. it'll probably handle some ice cream or soft fruit from time to time during those hotter months when I'd want a cold, refreshing shake or smoothie.
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2012-04-20, 13:58

if you do any cooking at all you will want both. I recommend Waring blenders (made in the USA) and if you get the Waring professional blender (with the metal carafe also comes with a glass one) it will literally last you a lifetime, or at least three or for Hamilton blender lifetimes.

weird, this is my second blender discussion in as many days.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
zippy
Veteran Member

2012-04-20, 14:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I think I'd be more inclined to get the "does everything pretty well" rather a focused, just does these 1-2 things and is real expensive" route.

To me, ice cream and things like this are seasonal (I won't eat soup, stew or chili in the spring or summer, but I won't touch ice cream or smoothies in the fall or winter...the thought of either makes me cringe).

So I'd want something that I know I'd have a shot at using year-round for various things.

I do eat salsa and guacamole 12 months on, so I'd base my purchase on how good it came mash all that stuff up...knowing that if it does okay with avacado, garlic, tomatoes, etc. it'll probably handle some ice cream or soft fruit from time to time during those hotter months when I'd want a cold, refreshing shake or smoothie.
The multipurpose nature of the immersion blender is very appealing. I've actually wanted one for other cooking needs anyhow - I just don't know how good they are at making shakes. I know they are good at the other tasks, but I haven't read many descriptions/reviews of them where people specifically mention milkshakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC View Post
if you do any cooking at all you will want both. I recommend Waring blenders (made in the USA) and if you get the Waring professional blender (with the metal carafe also comes with a glass one) it will literally last you a lifetime, or at least three or for Hamilton blender lifetimes.

weird, this is my second blender discussion in as many days.
So the stand alone shake mixers actually do a good job of making shakes then? Assuming it's a decent model?

Can you just scoop some ice cream into the cup, pour some milk, add any other flavorings, and it will mix it completely without having to stop and stir by hand, or poke the ice cream down with a spoon? If so, then something like that might be worth it. I know they are similar to what restaurants use, but wasn't sure if they were powerful enough. I've also seen people making shakes at restaurants where they had to hold the cup and move it around for proper mixing. These small countertop models don't look like they'd work well for that (they might tip over).

Do you know where children get all of their energy? - They suck it right out of their parents!
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2012-04-21, 00:54

I gotta chime in my two cents. I used to make milk shakes in the blender and it works fine. But, I also have Milkshake makers (2 Hamilton ones for $10 at a garage sale) and it doesn't just blend, but froths the milk, making it, in my opinion, thicker and authentic. Blenders can do it by adding more ice cream, but there is just something special about a Milkshake maker. Oh, and malts... amazing.

Gotta, gotta have cold milk though. That is key.

There is a mark on the side of the metal cup and I learned the hard way not to fill past that. When the milk froths, it can almost double in volume.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET