User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Car Talk
Page 36 of 68 First Previous 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-29, 12:25

The best part about owning a Cadillac is that you can tell your passengers, "They say this is the Cadillac of cars."

Just don't let Escher see it. Cadillacs are only for old American geezers. You know, as opposed to young geezers, like bwyatt.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-29, 13:09

On this day in 1886:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Benz Patent-Motorwagen (or motorcar), built in 1886, is widely regarded as the first automobile, that is, a vehicle designed to be propelled by a motor. It is important to note, however, that the first automobile fatality on record occurred in 1869, during the preceding era of steam-powered cars.

The vehicle was awarded the German patent, number 37435, for which Karl Benz applied on January 29, 1886. Following official procedures, the date of the application became the patent date for the invention once the patent was granted, which occurred in November of that year.
Then:

Now:

Happy birthday, car! Here's to another (hopefully greener) 126 years.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Escher
Sub-PowerBook Lobbyist

2012-01-30, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
The best part about owning a Cadillac is that you can tell your passengers, "They say this is the Cadillac of cars."

Just don't let Escher see it. Cadillacs are only for old American geezers. You know, as opposed to young geezers, like bwyatt.
You got me there, Robo!

Actually, I fully respect Cadillac's CTS-V Coupe and Wagon. At this point, I harbor no prejudice against them or their drivers. Those two are attractive cars, with the performance to back it up. Just not a good fit for me, since I remain a fan of "small and light," regardless of whether we are talking MacBooks, cars, or hot air balloons.

As for that Audi/VW question, I've been pondering a used Audi A3 for my wife. But she recently expressed a desire for a GTI, even though she doesn't usually care about cars. So I'm not going to stand in her way!

As for myself, I just can't make up my mind right now. So I'm probably just going to re-claim our 2001 Ford Focus ZX-5 beater. Even though it has crap build quality, it has decent handling and gets decent mileage. Plus, it's been paid off for almost a decade! That'll give me more time to decide. Back in the States, there simply won't be anything to live up to our African-spec 1998 Land Cruiser with the 3-liter diesel. So I have to decide whether to return to the Subaru fold with another wagon (Forester, hopefully XT this time), hatch (WRX, not STI), or coupe (BRZ).

Anyway, no matter whether cars or computers, it doesn't cost anything to dream!

I've been waiting for a true sub-PowerBook for more than 10 years. The 11-inch MacBook Air finally delivers on all counts! It beats the hell out of both my PowerBook 2400c and my 12-inch PowerBook G4 -- no contest whatsoever.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-01-31, 12:01

Sadly, Subaru has discontinued its true wagon offerings for the North American market. The Legacy wagon was nixed in North America a few years ago, although it is still sold elsewhere in the world. The new Outback has positioned itself firmly as an SUV, and looks and feels pretty much indistinguishable from the sixty to seventy other offerings of that type offered by the various automobile manufactures for the local market. The Forester is OK, but is more of a cute-ute.

Anyway, we have a Legacy wagon from the second to last year they were sold here and we think it is a decent car. The handling, in particular, is terrific. Ideally it would have a smaller engine - its 170hp is much more than is necessary and efficient for a general-use (smallish) mid-sized family car - but that was the smallest engine it was sold with in North America, believe it or not. Given that lack of choice of other wagons (even VW canned the Passat Wagon for North America this year) we may be keeping our Subaru for quite a while.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-01-31, 12:13

I still like the Jetta Sportwagen TDi for a good combination of fuel economy and cargo room. Subaru makes a turbo diesel version of the Legacy wagon in other countries but not here, sadly.
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-01-31, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
It's a 2011 Cadillac CTS-V wagon, with a 6-speed manual transmission.
Awesome, man. That should be one hell of a fun ride.

You can take me for a ride when I'm down there in April.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-01-31, 19:37

You gonna be in Vegas in April? Well yeah, send me a PM, we can meet up and do lunch or something.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-01-31, 20:32

I, too, am a big fan of the hatch/wagon. I wish my car came in the wagon version the 328 is offered in. Maybe when it's time for me to move out of this car, I will have more choices in that regard. It'll be years yet since I have a really hard time imagining what on earth would possess me to get another car. But I've done stupid shit before.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-01, 12:32

I've heard rumors that they're going to start importing the 5 Series wagons to North America again, as 5 Series GT sales haven't met expectations (though they're still higher than NA 5 Series wagon sales were, IIRC). Of course, knowing our luck, they'll sell them only in Canada, like the X1.

For all the hate that the 5 Series GT gets, I get what BMW was trying to do with it. "Americans think wagons are frumpy, so let's make a coupe-y wagon!" Though of course that results in a less practical vehicle. (The two-mode hatch is pretty cool, though.)

The BMW i3 is going to be a hatchback. Maybe by the time you're ready to get a different car, you'll be ready to go electric

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-02-01, 13:00

I don't know about that. I find the low rumble of a diesel engine to be extremely satisfying. I think a quiet electric might not appeal to me. That, and I'm a bargain shopper (believe it or not!) and I have a hard time believing that I'll be able to get a good deal on an electric car any time in the next decade.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-01, 14:37

bu bu bu the environment

Not that I can talk, bikes have like the least clean engines ever. But I wouldn't trade one for the world. Maybe someday I'll have a (made-in-Oregon!) Brammo...

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-02-01, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
bu bu bu the environment

Not that I can talk, bikes have like the least clean engines ever. But I wouldn't trade one for the world. Maybe someday I'll have a (made-in-Oregon!) Brammo...
I think that by the time electrics are really viable vehicles, we'll also have a renewable source of biofuel like algae-grown biodiesel. That's one of the reasons I chose to go diesel over a hybrid; I think we'll have a renewable source of diesel sooner than we'll have a substitute for gasoline.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-01, 16:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I think that by the time electrics are really viable vehicles, we'll also have a renewable source of biofuel like algae-grown biodiesel. That's one of the reasons I chose to go diesel over a hybrid; I think we'll have a renewable source of diesel sooner than we'll have a substitute for gasoline.
Idunno. I'm all for competition and multi-pronged approaches to sustainability, so affordable algae-grown biodiesel would be great, but I think the day where EVs are "really viable vehicles" is coming sooner than many think. I mean, have you seen the Tesla Model S configurator? *drools*

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-10, 01:13

Tesla's Model X crossover has been unveiled:

It's coming next year and will start at $49,900, like its sister Model S sedan.

The coolest part, besides the fact that it's a sporty (0-60 in 4.4!) EV at prices previously unthinkable, is probably the "hawkwing" rear doors. They're like gullwing doors, but they also fold, so they take less room to open:

The other coolest part is how the compact electric motor allows it to have two trunks. It has room for seven, and all their stuff.

Is there any doubt that Tesla is quickly cementing itself as the Apple of cars? Their products are disruptive, but what's really impressive is how quickly they've gotten to the point where their pricing is disruptive as well. The Model X is priced competitively with the less capacious, slower, and (oh yeah!) gasoline-powered Acura ZDX. And they seem to share Apple's attention to detail as well, like how they hide their charging ports behind a part of the headlights that automatically opens when you approach it with the power cord. And they're far more attentive to the buying experience than most in their industry; they prefer to sell their products through their own carefully considered corporate-owned stores. Sound familiar?

Like Apple, they're also seemingly unstoppable: they also announced that another new vehicle will be coming in 2014. Three new vehicles in three consecutive years is crazy impressive for a company as young and small as Tesla. They make the titans of their industry seem slow and lumbering; I guess that's why they really remind me of Apple.

kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2012-02-10, 11:07

Tesla won't be considered the of cars until they actually start shipping cars that they've built themselves on their own platform.

They're getting there. But at the same time, it seems like a lot of vaporware at this point.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Eugene
careful with axes

2012-02-10, 22:22

I'm with Robo and convinced the Model S is going to be a resounding success. Even the $50K base model should be plenty for most bay area commutes. Tesla is going on a hiring binge here...
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-02-11, 00:13

Tesla really is an interesting company. But those gullwing doors are completely impractical if you park in a garage. Just sayin'.
addabox
Veteran Member

2012-02-11, 00:51

Quote:
Tesla really is an interesting company. But those gullwing doors are completely impractical if you park in a garage. Just sayin'.
They require less lateral clearance than normal doors and only go up to about 8', which ought to work for most any garage.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-02-13, 17:24

I picked up my CTS-V wagon today. I have to say, Cadillac has made absolutely massive strides in terms of quality and driving experience. I love the way this car handles, it's way better than its massive curb weight would lead you to believe. It actually feels taut and nimble, not heavy or floaty like the Cadillacs of yore.

The cabin is well insulated, it's very quiet and upscale inside. Maybe not quite as nice as some Audi, BMW and Mercedes interiors, but it's up there. The sound system is awesome and it plays very nice with my iPhone. In fact GM's hands free voice control system actually lets you tap into Siri using voice commands, and from there you can just talk to Siri directly through the car's mic and speakers.

Most of all though it has what I consider all the necessary qualities for a great touring car. Great power, balanced and responsive handling, and quiet and smooth when you want it to be. I can't wait to take a long road trip in this thing.

IMO one of the best things Cadillac has done is tune these cars on the Autobahn and the Nurburgring. Because of the crazy bumps and turns on the 'ring, they were able to tune the suspension to handle it without getting upset. As a result, it is very hard to get this car out of sorts, even at high speeds. It's just really stable, and it responds way better than you would think a car this big and heavy should be able to.

I really like it. This is a fantastic car, one of the best GM has ever made IMO. It is seriously that good. And it's completely bonkers. Nobody in their right mind would make a car like this, it's ridiculous! I'm glad somebody at Cadillac was insane enough to do it.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-02-15, 23:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly View Post
I picked up my CTS-V wagon today. I have to say, Cadillac has made absolutely massive strides in terms of quality and driving experience. I love the way this car handles, it's way better than its massive curb weight would lead you to believe. It actually feels taut and nimble, not heavy or floaty like the Cadillacs of yore.

The cabin is well insulated, it's very quiet and upscale inside. Maybe not quite as nice as some Audi, BMW and Mercedes interiors, but it's up there. The sound system is awesome and it plays very nice with my iPhone. In fact GM's hands free voice control system actually lets you tap into Siri using voice commands, and from there you can just talk to Siri directly through the car's mic and speakers.

Most of all though it has what I consider all the necessary qualities for a great touring car. Great power, balanced and responsive handling, and quiet and smooth when you want it to be. I can't wait to take a long road trip in this thing.

IMO one of the best things Cadillac has done is tune these cars on the Autobahn and the Nurburgring. Because of the crazy bumps and turns on the 'ring, they were able to tune the suspension to handle it without getting upset. As a result, it is very hard to get this car out of sorts, even at high speeds. It's just really stable, and it responds way better than you would think a car this big and heavy should be able to.

I really like it. This is a fantastic car, one of the best GM has ever made IMO. It is seriously that good. And it's completely bonkers. Nobody in their right mind would make a car like this, it's ridiculous! I'm glad somebody at Cadillac was insane enough to do it.
Did I miss the pics, or are we still waiting?
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-02-16, 12:01

*sigh*

Today is a sad day. I've gotten old enough it's time to sell my RX-8. I'm picking up a used Prius as its replacement.

I have a feeling this is going to be a noticeable shift in driving fun, but at least I won't have to pay for as much fuel.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-02-16, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
*sigh*

Today is a sad day. I've gotten old enough it's time to sell my RX-8. I'm picking up a used Prius as its replacement.

I have a feeling this is going to be a noticeable shift in driving fun, but at least I won't have to pay for as much fuel.
!!

There are so many other cars you could get besides a Prius. Why would you do that to yourself?
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-02-16, 12:55

Dude. That's like dumping a hot, high-maintenance girlfriend to date her milquetoast, celibate sister. Date outside the family!!
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-02-16, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
*AHEM*

Yes. Pics or it didn't happen.
addison
Formerly “AWM”

2012-02-16, 13:02

Quote:
!!

There are so many other cars you could get besides a Prius. Why would you do that to yourself?
I agree but at least he won't have to check the oil every 250 miles anymore.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2012-02-16, 13:11

Well, Argento wants to buy my car, and if I'm going to sell, I'd rather sell to someone who will enjoy the car.

As for buying a Prius, I'm dropping close to $250 in gas each month right now, and my sister has a Prius that she has to sell. I'll shave minimum of $100 a month alone in gas, so the car is basically $150 or so a month. Hard to beat that for a 2010 car that will break 40 MPG routinely.

I don't expect gas prices to go down any time soon, so figure the Prius will be drivable for at least another 5-6 years then I'll look to sell it.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-02-16, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by murbot View Post
Yes. Pics or it didn't happen.
Sorry! It's been raining all week, it's dark when I get home from work, it still has bugs on it from its trip across country, etc. I'm going to get it washed this weekend, then I'll be able to get some decent pics of it. If it's not still raining.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2012-02-18, 18:34

OK I went outside and got some pics. I ran it through a car wash and had the windows tinted today, then got a few pics.

Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-02-18, 20:27

OMG *drools*

I love your vanity plate, btw.
murbot
Hoonigan

2012-02-18, 20:45

Whoa. That Is a seriously nice looking car, man. I *really* like it. I could see myself in that car easily.

Vanity plate is neat too. Heh.