User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Get fit with us! Join Team AppleNova on Fitocracy!
Page 1 of 6 [1] 2 3 4 5  Next Last Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-20, 23:18

(If you already Fitocricize, click here for Team AppleNova.)

Hey, you! Yes, you. We're three weeks into 2012! How are those new year's resolutions coming? If you're like most people, you've probably already dropped them. New year's resolutions often fail because they usually aren't very measurable, and because most people lack a group to both keep them accountable and show them support. Simply resolving to change your behavior is just not enough for the long haul. That's where Fitocracy comes in!

Fitocracy is like an RPG for real life. You get points for working out, and as you work out you level up and unlock achievement badges. Fitocracy also suggests specific fitness challenges, called quests, that can earn you bonus points. But the best part of Fitocracy is that it's multiplayer. If you join our AppleNova group, all your totally cool AppleNova friends can comment on your activities, give you props, and cheer you on. And push you, if that's what you want, but knowing that your workouts (or lack thereof) are recorded for all to see is usually motivator enough.

Fitocracy is designed for people of all body types and fitness experience — you can log everything from casual walks and shoveling snow to crazy weightlifting routines I don't even know about. You can keep your deets private, if you want, and you can join multiple groups — so if you're already in a group with your coworkers, you can still join Team AppleNova. If you haven't signed up for Fitocracy yet, you need an invite, but we have plenty of invites to go around, so just PM me (NOT BRAD) and I will PM you a link and passcode. Hope to see you there!

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2012-01-21, 00:02

I'm eating chicken tenders and mozz sticks while reading this....
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2012-01-21, 00:05

Have you tried Gym Pact?
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-01-21, 00:08

I'll give it a go, but my gym membership lapsed so it'll take me at least a couple weeks to get into working out again.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-21, 00:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I'm eating chicken tenders and mozz sticks while reading this....
Doesn't matter! I'm eating novelty Doritos as we speak.

I don't want anyone to think I'm some sort of healthy living guru or anything. I mean, okay, I'd like people to think that, but it's not accurate. I just started Fitocracising myself. My arms are literally twigs. But you don't have to be a fitness junkie to play; you just have to be willing to try new things and put in just a little effort to start. Because as with all fitness-related things, the more effort you put in, the more you get out of it. The nice thing about Fitocracy is the quasi-mystical way it encourages you to put more effort in.

Plus, it's actually sort of...fun.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-21, 15:14

It is kind of fun to level up after visiting the gym. I just wish they had more machine's listed because not all the things I use are in there. But as far as cardio and free weights go, it's all there.

I'm a week into my newfound gym habits and hopefully it can stick. I think this thing will help.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
AWR
Veteran Member

2012-01-23, 05:36

Thanks for the invite, Robo. I'm in and will chase a couple of early summer goals.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-23, 06:27

WOOOOOOOOOO

If anyone else wants to join, lemme know! I got ninety-nine invites and a bitch ain't one it'd be really cool if we could get some more girl power on our team!

Or guy power. Or non-binary genderqueer power! HINT HINT

El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-01-23, 14:08

I've also got ten invites but we can use Robo's first. Dudes got invite BLING.
SpecMode
Wait what

2012-01-25, 13:44

Quite amused by the group leaderboard. There's a 10K point gap between third and fourth place – Brad, you'd better step up your game!
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-01-25, 14:54

The point scoring (as mentioned by Murbot) is a little weird. The relationship between actually work put in and points scored can be a bit skewed. They seem to love Video Game based activities, for example...

I intend to use this discrepancy to stay one step ahead of Murbot at all times. Go Kinect!
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-26, 14:05

Our average level is now 6.00! Yay! Go team

I should be able to boost our average level up a little further later today; I wanted to work out yesterday but shit got crazy.

AWR
Veteran Member

2012-01-26, 14:23

Come on, Robo! Avg Level 7 here we come (or die trying)!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2012-01-26, 15:29

I have fallen off my massive push-up / pull-up regimen of Summer 2010 to Summer 2011 and I feel shame. Pass the Tim Horton's. I'm going out happy.

...into the light of a dark black night.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-26, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWR View Post
Come on, Robo! Avg Level 7 here we come (or die trying)!
I leveled up.

Also, YAY bwyatt is back. FIST BUMP FIST BUMP We kept bugging him on Twitter. We may be assholes, but we're effective assholes.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2012-01-26, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogs View Post
I have fallen off my massive push-up / pull-up regimen of Summer 2010 to Summer 2011 and I feel shame. Pass the Tim Horton's. I'm going out happy.
I know the feeling. My Fitocracy profile has been in the Zone of Shame for a while now. I've been staying at work until 8 PM or later a lot lately, and I have zero energy/motivation to do healthy things when I get home. One of these days work will settle down and I'll get back into a good routine, I keep telling myself. One of these days, Alice, ONE OF THESE DAYS.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-26, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I leveled up.

Also, YAY bwyatt is back. FIST BUMP FIST BUMP We kept bugging him on Twitter. We may be assholes, but we're effective assholes.
That's right!

But seriously on Monday when the trainer said I was going to want to be at the gym 3-4 days a week I thought he was crazy but tomorrow will be day three and I have to say he's right. It feels good. I have energy and when I'm tired I know it's not because I've been laying around on the couch for hours. And that's just two days!

So, here's to being effective assholes who continue to push each other!

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-26, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
tomorrow will be day three
DAMN IT

I was going to try to pass you.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-01-26, 22:27

Ok, I sucked today, but tomorrow, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Cardio got much easier once I realised that the machines at my gym will read video stored on my iPhone. So 45 mins of cardio = 1 Stargate episode.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-26, 22:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Cardio got much easier once I realised that the machines at my gym will read video stored on my iPhone.
Read...video? WHAT IS THIS SORCERY

Our machines beep. And the light overhead flickers, which makes my eyeballs want to explode.

And there's never any equipment wipes.

BUT.

It's free! And it's in my apartment complex! So I can work out and walk upstairs and shower there, at home, with my aromatherapy candles and exfoliating pumice. Which is important!

So.

¡Damned!

2012-01-26, 23:01

I may have to join just to bring everyone else's levels down.

I mean, I walk a lot. Does that count? I will never go to a gym, point, so am I not the person that should be in this?

I could stand to lose a bit before summer, but if I have to post dailies you'd find me a little absent. Is that still cool?

So it goes.
billybobsky
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2012-01-26, 23:24

Exercise fascists.
El Gallo
Formerly “MumboJumbo”

2012-01-27, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I may have to join just to bring everyone else's levels down.

I mean, I walk a lot. Does that count? I will never go to a gym, point, so am I not the person that should be in this?

I could stand to lose a bit before summer, but if I have to post dailies you'd find me a little absent. Is that still cool?
There are all sorts of activities and ways to track them. You can also track activities up to five days before the current day in case you are aware from the computer for a bit. I just wish I was awesome enough to remember to try some quests. I stumble upon a few of them just doing stuff but haven't remember what would get me some points in terms of doing specific things.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2012-01-27, 00:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsky View Post
Exercise fascists.
I look slick at the gym in my brown shirt, though.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-01-27, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Ok, I sucked today, but tomorrow, it's on like Donkey Kong.

Cardio got much easier once I realised that the machines at my gym will read video stored on my iPhone. So 45 mins of cardio = 1 Stargate episode.
Thata awesome. And here I thought our fancy HD tvs and iPod chargers were impressive.

And Robo, you might still carch up. Today is legs which means by the time I get to cardio they might not work anymore and I may just sit on the bike watching tv.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-01-27, 08:33

So I hit the gym for the first time in over a month last night. It felt great to just go work out. I started (for the 3rd time, I think) couch to 5K on the treadmill, so that's why my treadmill times are a little weird. The last bit (10 minutes, half a mile) was actually extra on top of the C25K routine. I logged all my treadmill time from my phone during the last set.

I only used one weight machine last night, and I feel like I could have pushed myself a lot harder if I'd had more time. Hopefully I'll get to go at some point this weekend too, but our schedule's looking pretty busy, and my gym closes at 7 on the weekends. (WTF is that all about? Fuck you, Planet Fitness.)

Busted out some crunches before work this morning too, just to get my head in the right place. I'm going to try to do some crunches and pushups every morning and every day at lunch, just so I'm doing something daily. Hopefully that will be enough to keep me motivated and going back to the gym.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-01-27, 09:39

For my birthday, I got myself a fitbit. It's another little doo-dad to help me get moving. I guess I should join this joint too, eh?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-01-27, 11:13

Stupid question: Is there an app for this? Is there a way to link it to Nike+? (I see there's a Runkeeper link but I prefer Nike+ for my runs and I only use Runkeeper for my rides.)

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-01-27, 11:21

No clue if there's a mobile app. There isn't on my Windows Phone, but it's not like that means anything. *sobs*

There's a mobile version of the web site, though.

torifile, are you "shrinkme"?

Wyatt
Veteran Member

2012-01-27, 11:32

Nope, they don't have an app. They were looking for iOS developers a little while back, though, so maybe something's coming soon?

The mobile version of the site works okay, but it's pretty sluggish on 3G. I have it added to my home screen (the only website I've done that with) and it's adequate for just logging stuff at the gym.

The only thing that really sucks about it is that it doesn't support multitasking (because it's a web app). So when I want to figure out my distance based on MPH and time on the treadmill, I have to switch over to my calculator app. When I go back to Fitocracy, I have to start all over. (This means adding multiple sets is a giant PITA.)

It's much less frustrating for weights, where you don't have to calculate anything.