torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2012-03-17, 15:25

The extra RAM is an unspoken benefit.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-17, 15:32

True. I forgot. RAM was doubled, processor remains same.

If someone has an iPad 2, uses it enough to where it matters AND can get into a new one for less than $100-200 of their own money, why not? That would be my general rule of thumb.

Yontsey seems to fall into that, with gift cards and a good resale price for his 2.

YMMV, of course.
Quagmire
meh

2012-03-17, 16:03

Talk about an impulse buy... Was at the mall today to buy more shampoo and conditioner. Flew by Apple Store just to check out the new iPad. Then the cogs started turning in my head. My school is working out a policy so we could use iPads as an EFB like the airlines are starting to now so hopefully soon I will be able to use it for my approach plates, etc. My 17" MBP has pretty much become a desktop so want something a bit bigger than my iPhone to use for the internet. Also, my MBP's battery lasts only around 3:30 hours( worse if watching a movie) on battery. So the iPad's 10 hour battery is very appealing. Plus, with Verizon hotspot is free with the data plan. So now I can remove the hotspot from my iPhone 4 plan save the $15 off my bill. So now I can activate/cancel the Verizon plan whenever I don't need it where if I kept on changing data plans on my iPhone, that would mess with my contract and when I was eligible to upgrade( since I am still in the old process of how AT&T did upgrades based by the bill).

So now I am a proud owner of a new iPad 32 GB Verizon LTE Black. And holy crap LTE is fast. I only get 2 bars at my parents house and I get 10-14 Mbps down which ~2x faster than I get on my iPhone 4 with full 3G service on AT&T. Though I already have used 100 MB in a matter of 10 minutes. Got to watch my usage now....

giggity
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-17, 16:48

Yeah, LTE really is fast. Here's what I got earlier today in Berkeley, CA.

Last edited by screensaver400 : 2012-03-17 at 20:02.
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-17, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
True. I forgot. RAM was doubled, processor remains same.
I'm not sure how much of a problem this was with the iPad 2, but pages reloading when switching between tabs in Safari drove me nuts with my original iPad. I have no such issues with the new one, and I'm sure the extra 768 megabytes of RAM has something to do with that.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-17, 17:01

I use my iPad more than any other electronics product — probably more than any other product, period. It's the first thing I reach for in the morning and the last thing I set on my nightstand at night. It's almost eerie how fast I've come to rely on it for, well, everything. It's hard to remember what life was like before my iPad gave me the world at my fingertips.

I'd upgrade my iPad every year if I weren't so broke. When you use a product for so much, even seemingly minor improvements and speed boosts (not that there's anything minor about the jump to the retina display) add up to a surprisingly big improvement to your life, over a year. I'd consider that a few hundred dollars well spent. Most people have spent more money on less.

Even if you were to not sell each model at the end of the year, and instead just give it to someone or something, you could still get three new iPads for the price of one decently-spec'd iMac or MacBook Pro, and you'd probably use the iPads more (nobody thinks they will, but once they get one...). And nobody acts like replacing your Mac every three years or so is hopelessly extravagant. (My mini turns three years old this month, and it feels ancient. And I upgraded the RAM when I got it! And it's not even running Lion!)

Apple products used to cost more than their competition, and the way I'd always explain my reasoning for paying the premium is that over the course of three years or so, everything being even just a little easier and hassle-free adds up to a sizeable benefit (so many saved headaches!) that is worth the extra money. Now, of course, Apple's competitors are struggling to match their pricing, and they're so far ahead in the tablet space that for a lot of people the "baseline" isn't a PC but the iPad they already have. But the logic still applies: all the "little things" really add up on a product that you use every single day.

A new iPad, even if you get a fancy 32GB LTE model, is less than two dollars a day for a year. (And again, that's assuming you don't sell your old model.) Tons of people blow more than two dollars a day on crap that probably wouldn't improve their life as much as the new iPad would (smokers, I'm looking at you ). I'm not judging those people or anything, because that's pretty much everyone. I'm just saying that in modern America, two dollars a day is nothing for something like the new iPad. It's not even the cost of cable, or a gym membership you don't use. It's not even a coffee on your way to work in the morning. It's a soda on your lunch break, maybe.

Bring water, and boom — there's an iPad.

I don't mean to sound all spendthrift or anything, because in real life I'm actually not, but I think people (not here, just in general) might be holding onto this subconscious "it's an Apple computer, so it must be a big major purchase" thing. I mean, the iPad is just so good, and it does so much, it's like the new Mac, right? Except it's not a Mac. It's a third of a Mac, price-wise. It's just crazy.

It's closer to the iPod in price.

I wouldn't have purchased my day one iPad if it was more expensive. I was comparing its value to that of a netbook. But now that I have one, Apple has me by the balls. If my iPad broke and they had some weird rule that iPads cost twice as much for me and me alone, I'd still have to buy a new one. It's just worth so much to me. It's so many of my other things, folded into one.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-17, 17:21

I have to agree with Robo. This iPad is the most incredible thing I've ever used. I found myself over the last two days sitting on the couch reading my Flipboard magazine, drawling stupid doodles like I'm in high school again in Penultimate, and just having a good time with electronic device like I have never had before. Given the cost, this is the most incredible gadget on the market today. I'm clearly hooked and will continue to upgrade as my budget allows.

And to give some context, I used dictation on my new iPad to type this post.

Simply amazing.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-17, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcfsu View Post
I have to agree with Robo. This iPad is the most incredible thing I've ever used. [...] I'm clearly hooked and will continue to upgrade as my budget allows.

[...]

Simply amazing.
You're in that honeymoon phase, I see. But you haven't discovered the best part yet. The best part is when you're still using the iPad a month later and that honeymoon phase hasn't ended. And then when you're using it a year later and totally take it for granted and can't imagine not having one.

I was worried I would get bored with my iPad. But I haven't. What else has surprised me...I didn't think I would use it for as much as I do. I thought Apple's claims of it being a better browsing device were kind of bullshit. Better than a Mac? How could it be? Macs and PCs are what web sites are made for. But it is! Everything feels so much more immediate with the touchscreen. (The analogy I used when the iPad first came out was that going back to using a mouse and keyboard suddenly felt like trying to have sex with pants on, which still strikes me as the perfect analogy, if I do say so myself.) It's not just a good browsing device, it's like a web enhancer. I like browsing the web even more on it, which is kind of scary.

Also, I'm surprised at how fast Apple has improved the iPad. I'm not talking about hardware here, although that too. But just looking back at the device I bought back in April 2010, it was so different. It was so much lesser! It didn't multitask. It didn't have iLife. The big thing Apple was showing off for it at launch was iWork, as if that's going to toast anyone's waffles.

Really, the best compliment I can give to the iPad is that Apple totally deserves every last cent of the huge success it has been for them. Which is a lot. I remember thinking, "they're going to take over the world with this thing." I started feeling a little sorry for Microsoft. They were totally screwed, and they didn't know it yet. By this time next year, I think they might.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Chinney
Veteran Member

2012-03-17, 20:10

I saw a comment in a media report this week saying that it was inaccurate to say that other tablets were playing 'catch-up' to the new iPad: the correct observation would be that other tablets were still playing catch-up, and not very well, to the iPad 2. And that is both in technology and sales. The second best selling tablet over the next year is not likely to be a Samsung, HTC, or their like. It is likely to be the iPad 2.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-17, 20:27

Exactly.

Robo's making me reconsider my Dad's offer...
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2012-03-17, 20:47

You know you want it...............give me my precious.........we wants it.........my precioussssssss................................... .
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2012-03-17, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinney View Post
I saw a comment in a media report this week saying that it was inaccurate to say that other tablets were playing 'catch-up' to the new iPad: the correct observation would be that other tablets were still playing catch-up, and not very well, to the iPad 2. And that is both in technology and sales. The second best selling tablet over the next year is not likely to be a Samsung, HTC, or their like. It is likely to be the iPad 2.
Last I checked, on AT&T the three best-selling phones were the iPhone 4S, the iPhone 4, and the iPhone 3GS. (And hey! It's a hell of a freebie.)

Obviously there are many more different models of Android phones and tablets, so looking at the best-selling individual models will always put Apple in a better light. (Note: BlackBerry doesn't have this excuse!) But the fact that no single Android phone can outsell even the older iPhones, and the very reasonable assumption that this will also hold true for iPads, seems to suggest that while Android might be doing okay for Google, it's doing less than okay for the handset manufacturers, who are each fighting for scraps in a sea of undifferentiated product.

Microsoft plant or no, one can easily understand Elop's reasoning for steering Nokia to less bloody waters.

I'm pretty sure the executives of every Android "alliance member" are privately kicking themselves for not creating their own OS while they had the chance. (Some of them are kicking themselves publicly — such as Sony's recent musings that they could extend the Vita's OS to phones.) Obviously, the market wouldn't be able to support dozens of different OSes, but for the larger players that could succeed, the benefits in terms of market differentiation and user lock-in would be huge — the 30% they'd get for every app sale on their platform would just be icing. But alas, they entire industry was seemingly caught totally off guard, even though everybody knew Apple was building a phone and disrupting markets is pretty much what Apple does.

(Incidentally, if Sony was to make a go of it with their own platform, I'd give them better than even odds of succeeding, where by "succeed" I mean "do better than they are doing now, with an undifferentiated Android offering." (I don't think they'd catch up to the iPhone, or anything. That ship has sailed.) I don't think the masses are as loyal to Android as tech-blog crusaders would like. Most non-technical users seem to still be treating their Android phones as feature phones with better browsers. They're still not really buying into the platform, in other words, and could thus be swayed by a phone that felt better.)

Quagmire
meh

2012-03-17, 22:40

Since Apple doesn't show the usage/standby times on the ipad(seriously Apple?) I am not sure how is my battery life is so far. I'm down to 87% charge in light use. I notice a 1% drop about every 6-7 minutes so far. I believe that is good, is it?

I wish apple would allow us to track our usage time to see how close I am to their estimated time.

giggity
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2012-03-17, 23:43

Don't expect the first few charges to last as long, lithium ion batteries perform best after 5-10 charge cycles.
jdcfsu
Veteran Member

2012-03-18, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Don't expect the first few charges to last as long, lithium ion batteries perform best after 5-10 charge cycles.
If that's the case, then color me impressed. I spent a large bit of yesterday playing on the iPad and managed to only consume 40% of the battery. That was after my first full charge. This is a wifi only model.

90% of statistics can be made to say anything 50% of the time.
Website | Twitter
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2012-03-18, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
Has anyone upgraded from the iPad 2? I've been debating it because Best Buy has a few in stock and I have $100 in gift cards. Just wondering if it's worth it or if I should just wait til the 2013 update.
I did. I love it. I really only did it for the display, but that alone is worth it for me, because I read a ton.
Quagmire
meh

2012-03-18, 10:32

You don't truly appreciate the new iPad's retina display until you look at photographs. Granted pictures from my iPhone 4 don't look that amazing on it, but pics from my Nikon D60? Holy crap. Especially my pictures from baseball games..... It's so clear it is like you are still there. I am speechless at how they look on the new iPad..... Yes text is now super crisp and everything. But for me, seeing my D60 photo's on it is the best thing about the new screen.

giggity
Jason
Veteran Member

2012-03-18, 11:01

I also finally bought an iPad for the same reason. I only waited until now because I wanted a retina screen. It's mainly for reading novels and stuff.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-18, 11:05

Anyone noticing that the iPad gets warm after some use? I'm just surfing around right now and it's definitely putting out some heat.
Quagmire
meh

2012-03-18, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
Anyone noticing that the iPad gets warm after some use? I'm just surfing around right now and it's definitely putting out some heat.
Lower left hand corner right? That's the A5X and quad core GPU working to power that display. Though I haven't personally felt it get warm on mine. But, seems to be a common observation.

giggity
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-18, 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Lower left hand corner right? That's the A5X and quad core GPU working to power that display. Though I haven't personally felt it get warm on mine. But, seems to be a common observation.
It's actually across the entire back of the device. It may be warmer on that side but the entire back is warm enough to make my hands sweat some.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
Quagmire
meh

2012-03-18, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
It's actually across the entire back of the device. It may be warmer on that side but the entire back is warm enough to make my hands sweat some.
So far I only have hard about the lower left area getting warm.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-18, 11:58

Yontsey, how much thickness does the dodo case add to the iPad? Both when closed/being carried and when folded open to be used? Does it work well with the sleep/wake magnets? I think I want something to protect the back since the smart cover doesn't do it.

screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-18, 21:05

Tori, you might take a look at the Yoobao cases, specifically the iSlim and iMagic (silly names I know). Because the back is molded and follows the curves of the iPad, they seem slimmer than the Dodo style cases do. They're not yet available for the new iPad, but should be soon.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-03-18, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by screensaver400 View Post
Tori, you might take a look at the Yoobao cases, specifically the iSlim and iMagic (silly names I know). Because the back is molded and follows the curves of the iPad, they seem slimmer than the Dodo style cases do. They're not yet available for the new iPad, but should be soon.

This looks... pretty nice. Thanks for the heads up!
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

2012-03-18, 21:39

Ok. This heat thing seems abnormal to me. In addition to the heat, I'm noticing quite rapid battery drain. Over 20% gone in about 1.5 hours. Just some web surfing and typing on wifi. No video or anything too intensive.

Quagmire
meh

2012-03-18, 22:18

Looks like you got a dud torifle.

I love the battery on the new iPad. I was at 79% back around 3 pm when I last used it. Put it in sleep mode and came back at 11 pm and it still was at 79% power.

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2012-03-18, 22:24

Maybe try a reset and fresh setup?
screensaver400
Veteran Member

2012-03-19, 00:36

20% in 1.5 hours seems a little high, but not too crazy. You'd expect to use up about 10% per hour, if the device gets 10 hours of battery life. Your battery just might need to be calibrated... The full recharge, full discharge cycle.