Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

iTunes Library Issues

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iTunes Library Issues
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-30, 13:49

My problem lies within the size of my library. I have a very heft library and it is filling my PowerBook very quickly. I have filled me 80gig drive down to 11 gigs left, and I am seriously contemplating getting an external hard drive in order to facilitative this growing music collection. So my question lies here, can I split my library up, so that I have a majority of music on my external, and a couple gigs still on my internal so that I can carry it with me. I want to be able to have some music on the go, but not necessarily all of it. Is this in any way possible, and would iTunes support it actively? As in, if I had the hard-drive hooked up, but then disconnected it, would the songs on the playlists from the external grey out or anything, not just provide me with the broken link error? Has anyone ever encountered this?

If it matters I am running a 1.25 Ghz 15" PB, with 10.3.5.

Thanks for your support!

User formally known as Sh0eWax
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-30, 13:53

Any time I've used iTunes with an external removable drive, the files have always remained with the broken link errors when the drive is unmounted.

I've never seen a better option.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-30, 16:16

torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-08-30, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
My problem lies within the size of my library. I have a very heft library and it is filling my PowerBook very quickly. I have filled me 80gig drive down to 11 gigs left, and I am seriously contemplating getting an external hard drive in order to facilitative this growing music collection. So my question lies here, can I split my library up, so that I have a majority of music on my external, and a couple gigs still on my internal so that I can carry it with me. I want to be able to have some music on the go, but not necessarily all of it. Is this in any way possible, and would iTunes support it actively? As in, if I had the hard-drive hooked up, but then disconnected it, would the songs on the playlists from the external grey out or anything, not just provide me with the broken link error? Has anyone ever encountered this?

If it matters I am running a 1.25 Ghz 15" PB, with 10.3.5.

Thanks for your support!
Say hello to iTunes Library Manager.

It works.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-30, 21:25

awesome I'll try it. Thanks
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2004-08-30, 21:44

Well, I used it, and it is basically what I want, I would just like it to be more of a plugin, so that I could revert libraries without having to open the program up and stuff.

User formally known as Sh0eWax
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2004-08-30, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0eWax
Well, I used it, and it is basically what I want, I would just like it to be more of a plugin, so that I could revert libraries without having to open the program up and stuff.
i know. It's got its drawbacks but it does the job. :/ Not ideal but oh well.... there really should be an easier way to do it.
Hawk

2005-03-29, 03:41

Here are my thoughts on this issue.

You have a laptop that has a small amount of music on the internal hard drive. You have an external hard drive that contains all the other music you would have. In my case, I have a software RAID'd pair of 250's. The cool and slick thing would be for iTunes to recognize the external when it's plugged in just as it sees the iPod. Have it show up as a source on the left. That way there wouldn't be a need to switch libraries which doesn't work as well as the iPhoto library manager does.

I'm sure the external could he hacked to be seen like an iPod, but the music on the iPod is not organized in artists folders like the normal library is.

Any thoughts?