Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Please do provide the log...
Here is Finder crash log you requested.

http://download.yousendit.com/3CFF3F131B9356F0
agnivarsh

2007-01-20, 20:46

Quote:
That's a known issue. You can, however, hold the option key when rebooting and select your Windows partition there.

Startup Disk doesn't recognize that your NTFS partition is mounted. I don't know if we can fix this.

Chucker, is this why I am having the following problem? Any way i can fix whatever went wrong so that i can boot up into vista again?

I installed the latest versions of macfuse and ntfs-3g from this forum and was delighted to see my vista ntfs drive (macbook pro with 3 partitions osx, hfsdata and ntfsvista) mount r/w. I tested to see if it works by deleting a temp file and everything was fine.
Now when i reboot into vista (i use refit for the dual booting) it starts loading vista and then crashes (i cant see the bluescreen error message because it reboots too fast). I tried booting in safe mode - and it crashes after it loads the file crcdisk.sys. From what i learned crcdisk.sys is a Disk Block Verification Filter Driver. I figured I might be able to fix this by booting into the vista install dvd to perform a repair - but when i boot from it the dvd doesn't even recognize the partition to be ntfs formatted. This is strange because osx still sees it as ntfs and i can see and access all the files on it from within OSX.
So I have a couple of questions:
1) What could I try to fix this problem? Could macfuse or ntfs-3g have done something to the partition to make it unreadable by windows?
2) What is the method to completely remove macfuse and ntfs-3g (especially if i installed using the pkg installers)?

Greatly appreciate any help!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-20, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude View Post
I had a hell of a time adding .ntfsreadonly file to ntfs partition. Under Tiger, it always errors with "only reserved for system file".
Yeah, you can't do it in Finder, sadly.

Quote:
Nano didn't help either.
Just doing 'touch <drag volume here>/.ntfsreadonly' should have worked.

Quote:
The method works, however, there are some anomalies. The first is that all drive mounted with ntfs-3g doesn't tell me how much space I have left (zero capacity) anymore,
That's a bug that sometimes occurs, and one of the things that b007 hopefully fixes.

Quote:
and the first minute of boot, copying any file to an ntfs-3g file system will say "not enough disk space" even though i have 10gig available.
Probably related to the above. It's just out-of-sync information on the Finder's part. It'll be fixed eventually, no worries.
mickles

2007-01-20, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Like A Rock View Post
Thanks Chucker! Now do you know how to fix the shut down problem I'm having? It takes extra time to shut down. I get the black loading circle over the blue screen for about 30-45 seconds before actually turning off. Does anyone else have this problem?
With regards to the slow shutdown, this is the error message that pops up while it's waiting:
ntfs-3g [xxx] didn't act on SIGTERM
ntfs-3g [yyy] didn't act on SIGTERM

Where xxx and yyy are two different 3 digit numbers that appear to be random, at least to me.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-20, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnivarsh View Post
Chucker, is this why I am having the following problem? Any way i can fix whatever went wrong so that i can boot up into vista again?

I installed the latest versions of macfuse and ntfs-3g from this forum and was delighted to see my vista ntfs drive (macbook pro with 3 partitions osx, hfsdata and ntfsvista) mount r/w. I tested to see if it works by deleting a temp file and everything was fine.
Now when i reboot into vista (i use refit for the dual booting) it starts loading vista and then crashes (i cant see the bluescreen error message because it reboots too fast). I tried booting in safe mode - and it crashes after it loads the file crcdisk.sys. From what i learned crcdisk.sys is a Disk Block Verification Filter Driver. I figured I might be able to fix this by booting into the vista install dvd to perform a repair - but when i boot from it the dvd doesn't even recognize the partition to be ntfs formatted. This is strange because osx still sees it as ntfs and i can see and access all the files on it from within OSX.
So I have a couple of questions:
1) What could I try to fix this problem? Could macfuse or ntfs-3g have done something to the partition to make it unreadable by windows?
2) What is the method to completely remove macfuse and ntfs-3g (especially if i installed using the pkg installers)?

Greatly appreciate any help!
Hm, I haven't tested things with rEFIt, actually. I'm using Windows Vista myself and haven't run into this kind of problem. NTFS-3G is quite reliable, so this shouldn't be happening.

I would suggest that you backup the entire NTFS partition (after all, you say you can access its files just fine from within OS X), erase it (again, in OS X; use 'diskutil info' to find out the partition's identifier, then use 'diskutil eraseVolume NTFS-3G "My Vista Partition" theIdentifierGoesHere'), and copy all data back.
chucker

2007-01-20, 21:55

Quote:
Here is Finder crash log you requested.

http://download.yousendit.com/3CFF3F131B9356F0
Interesting. It sounds like it could, in fact, be related to the same race condition. .007 might fix this.
Built Like A Rock

2007-01-21, 01:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickles View Post
With regards to the slow shutdown, this is the error message that pops up while it's waiting:

Where xxx and yyy are two different 3 digit numbers that appear to be random, at least to me.
hmmm, so there currently isn't a solution available? Thanks.
Chrysaor

2007-01-21, 17:09

I am getting slow shutdown with same "ntfs-3g [xxx] didn't act on SIGTERM" error also.
r.d.flynn

2007-01-22, 10:54

Hi,

First of all, many thanks for the compiled versions of FUSE and the NTFS implementations - it's a really useful service you've got going here, please keep it up!

I have a support request if that's OK. I've got FUSE working fine and have my Bootcamp partition (19GB NTFS) mounting automatically on restart, which is great. I want to have the option, however, to re-mount using the OS X NTFS mounter, and I can't figure out how to achieve this.

The reason I want to do this is because I also run Parallels, which can use the Bootcamp partition as a virtual machine. However, as FUSE mounts the Bootcamp partition on start up, I'm guessing it does not appear to OS X in the same way as it does when OS X mounts it - and therefore I can't use the Bootcamp partition option in Parallels (it's greyed out in the options).

Am I missing something here or is it a simple case of unmounting the FUSE partition and re-mounting with OS X? And if that's the case, how could you do that?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan
chucker

2007-01-22, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.d.flynn View Post
Am I missing something here or is it a simple case of unmounting the FUSE partition and re-mounting with OS X? And if that's the case, how could you do that?
Well, one way to do this is described in an earlier post of mine at http://forums.applenova.com/showpost...&postcount=149

In the future, we'll hopefully be able to make this a little easier.
r.d.flynn

2007-01-22, 14:59

Hi Chucker,

Thanks for the info - I must have missed that before!

I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the quick reply!

Ryan
agnivarsh

2007-01-22, 15:13

Thanks chucker. I am going to try that. Also, what is the best way to completely uninstall macfuse as well as ntfs-3g (if the need arises)?
chumsdock

2007-01-22, 20:28

Another, internal NTFS drives, like the vista drive now on my Macbook, are also seen as ejectable drives. So when I use a "Eject All Removable Drives" applescript I'll have it unmounted. Also it's wierd to see a eject button on Finder sidebar.

Perhaps I care too much, it's working great now, thank you.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-22, 23:06

Alright, with the recent release of MacFUSE 0.1.7, it's no longer necessary to use our custom MacFUSE package, and a lot of the problems discussed here have been resolved.

In order to remove the files we've installed, I've uploaded an uninstaller that is very rudimentary. Make sure you reboot your machine after running the uninstaller, as it's possible the old FUSE kernel extension will still be loaded.

This will uninstall BOTH MacFUSE and NTFS-3G. If you only wish to uninstall MacFUSE or NTFS-3g, run the command as follows:
Code:
$ ./Uninstaller.command / MacFUSE
To remove NTFS-3g, specify NTFS-3g as the second argument. Just double-clicking the command will remove both.

Here's the uninstaller: Uninstaller.dmg.

I will be back with an updated NTFS-3G installer sometime in the near future (a day or two) that will include:
  • Basic usage documentation
  • Automatic locale detection support (via .ntfs-locale)
  • Automatic pass-through support (via .ntfs-readonly)
And things that I'll try to do (but make no guarantees), given the new features we have:
  • Resolve Finder issues using new MacFUSE notifications
  • Resolve shutdown issues, but it may not happen

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2007-01-22 at 23:21. Reason: Simplifying the command-line code
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-22, 23:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaor View Post
I am getting slow shutdown with same "ntfs-3g [xxx] didn't act on SIGTERM" error also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickles View Post

I think I know the cause of the shutdown issues. OS X tries to kill ntfs-3g before it tries to unmount the NTFS volumes, so the processes won't die. A correct solution may be significantly complicated, so we'll see.

Can someone post more information about where the SIGTERM errors appear? The numbers are PIDs (process numbers), and aren't relevant. If someone could PM me more detailed information, it will help me find the correct place in the shutdown process to make sure our NTFS volumes get unmounted. Thanks!

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-22, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnivarsh View Post
Thanks chucker. I am going to try that. Also, what is the best way to completely uninstall macfuse as well as ntfs-3g (if the need arises)?
See my recent post on the matter; with the new release of MacFUSE, we can just use their installer, and the MacFUSE packages here need to be uninstalled.
chucker

2007-01-23, 01:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post
I think I know the cause of the shutdown issues. OS X tries to kill ntfs-3g before it tries to unmount the NTFS volumes, so the processes won't die. A correct solution may be significantly complicated, so we'll see.
Perhaps we can patch ntfs-3g to watch for SIGTERM and unmount in that case?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-23, 01:17

Quote:
That was the first solution that came to mind, but it seems a little bit unclean. Mostly because we'd want to ignore SIGTERM as it usually does, unless the system is shutting down. Because clearly NTFS-3G doesn't want to die if a user accidentally sends it SIGTERM. Also, I'd like to minimize the patching of NTFS-3G, so if there's a way to script the unmount operation outside of NTFS-3G, I'd prefer that.

I'm also afraid making NTFS-3G issue the umount command during a SIGTERM handler would create a deadlock condition, where ntfs-3g is stuck in its SIGTERM handler, and will therefore not respond to the umount command when it comes from the kernel.

We'll see how it goes.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-23, 01:26

Also, it looks like all linking (except to libfuse) needs to be static now. I'll have to figure out how to get that working in my build process, so I might be delayed a little more than I originally anticipated.

I'm accustomed to entirely-static linkage or entirely-dynamic linkage for autotools software, but not partial. Maybe if I only generate static libraries for all dependencies except libfuse, it will automatically link properly. Any ideas?

chucker

2007-01-23, 01:26

Quote:
That was the first solution that came to mind, but it seems a little bit unclean. Mostly because we'd want to ignore SIGTERM as it usually does, unless the system is shutting down.
Perhaps launchctl can be used to query whether the system is shutting down?
dude

2007-01-23, 09:28

Thanks a bunch for the helpful replies guys. It's been said before, this isn't for the faintest of hearts. Imo, MacFUSE/NTFS-3G shouldn't even be called a beta yet. I'm also worried that all Windows file systems are mounted even when it experiences a dirty dismount. ie. crashes or ext drives not unmounted properly. This can cause some problems as I have experiences with Linux/Fuse/NTFS-3G under virtual appliance.

I'm always looking for the next NTFS-3G package more compatible with the latest MacFUSE 0.1.7 since even working on a separate test partition can/might damage the mbr.

chucker

2007-01-23, 09:54

Quote:
Thanks a bunch for the helpful replies guys. It's been said before, this isn't for the faintest of hearts. Imo, MacFUSE/NTFS-3G shouldn't even be called a beta yet.
Well, in terms of reliability, I'd say it's actually quite mature. I haven't had any problem losing data; indeed, the NTFS-3G people continuously do thorough tests.

So, the problems lie in ease of use and some lacking abilities, but as far as I can tell, there is little need to be scared. Backups, of course, are always, always warranted, no matter what.

Quote:
I'm also worried that all Windows file systems are mounted even when it experiences a dirty dismount. ie. crashes or ext drives not unmounted properly. This can cause some problems as I have experiences with Linux/Fuse/NTFS-3G under virtual appliance.
Can you describe this hypothetical situation in more detail?

Quote:
I'm always looking for the next NTFS-3G package more compatible with the latest MacFUSE 0.1.7 since even working on a separate test partition can/might damage the mbr.

Patience. I get that everyone wants to have this capability ASAP, as the read-only NTFS support was really one of Boot Camp's greatest nuisances. But this has barely been here for two weeks, so things are only starting to unfold, and that considered, we have gotten rather far as it is.
dude

2007-01-23, 10:11

Quote:
NTFS-3G people continuously do thorough tests.
Yes, I use it religiously on a different platform

Quote:
Backups, of course, are always, always warranted, no matter what.
I can't imagine having to back up a 500gig drive

Quote:
Can you describe this hypothetical situation in more detail?
Sure, I have the ext drive mounted under Linux and purposely crash (unplug the power). Take the ext drive to a Mac system and it still monts the drive as if it was normally unmounted properly.

edit: I take it back to the Linux box and NTFS-3G complaines that it's dirty and have to either fix it by unmounting it properly under Windows or run chkdsk on it. Either way, yo only have the option to mount it with normal NTFS driver (r/o).

Quote:
Patience....
Naa, not trying to hurry anything along at all. I'd rather have something work properly than something go really wrong tying to rush it. Just saying I'm always watching this thread and the dev site .
ruphus13

2007-01-24, 03:04

Hi - I downloaded the dmg from Google's site, and set it up. Did the same for the sshfs dmg. I can mount a remote drive but get a permission denied when I actually try and list the directory which contains the share. I cannot cd into the share either.

As root, I can browse and access the share just fine.

The user (not root) is the owner of the share, but I get an error saying "ls: ssh_mount: Permission denied" when I run an ls -l in the dir that contains the share.

Any suggestions?
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-24, 03:16

Quote:
I did some basic research, and it looks like we can create a StartupItem that will get called on startup (no-op) and shutdown (unmount), which will allow us to properly unmount volumes instead of causing the SIGTERM stall. An alternative is getting MacFUSE to have fusefs.kext listen for shutdown/restart events and unmount volumes from there. For now, a StartupItem will work as a stop-gap until (if) MacFUSE decides a kernel-based automatic unmount is better.

I think I'll make the startup item NTFS-3G agnostic, so that it will automatically unmount any FUSE volume, because I doubt the underlying issue is really NTFS-3G specific. Thus, I'll end up having two packages to install, one for the NTFS-3G wrappers, and one for the FUSE StartupItem.

It's late here, so I'm going to sleep. Hopefully I'll get this done right tomorrow.

chucker

2007-01-24, 03:22

Quote:
I did some basic research, and it looks like we can create a StartupItem that will get called on startup (no-op) and shutdown (unmount),
Nitpick: StartupItems are deprecated in favor of LaunchDaemons, I believe. (And LaunchAgents.)

Quote:
which will allow us to properly unmount volumes instead of causing the SIGTERM stall. An alternative is getting MacFUSE to have fusefs.kext listen for shutdown/restart events and unmount volumes from there. For now, a StartupItem will work as a stop-gap until (if) MacFUSE decides a kernel-based automatic unmount is better.
Implementing this in the kext isn't very clean, IMHO, so I don't think the above would be a stop-gap at all. Sure, it would require an additional daemon, but then again, it would keep stuff out of the kernel.

Quote:
I think I'll make the startup item NTFS-3G agnostic, so that it will automatically unmount any FUSE volume, because I doubt the underlying issue is really NTFS-3G specific. Thus, I'll end up having two packages to install, one for the NTFS-3G wrappers, and one for the FUSE StartupItem.
*nod*
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-24, 03:35

Quote:
Implementing this in the kext isn't very clean, IMHO, so I don't think the above would be a stop-gap at all. Sure, it would require an additional daemon, but then again, it would keep stuff out of the kernel.
I was looking here, but saw no mention of deprecation. Perhaps discouraged when launchd could satisfy your needs, but not deprecated from what I could tell.

The StartupItem wouldn't actually launch a daemon, so there's no need for a launchd daemon or agent. It would just use the ServiceStop() function to know when the system is shutting down, and unmount volumes.

A launchd daemon would also be a viable solution, but would be more complex. However, in the long run, that might be the best plan. The best method to detect FUSE volumes still evades me, so a daemon that watches for info from DiskArbitration might turn out to be useful. Just thinking aloud.

chucker

2007-01-24, 03:41

Quote:
I was looking here, but saw no mention of deprecation. Perhaps discouraged when launchd could satisfy your needs, but not deprecated from what I could tell.
Hm, maybe they'll deprecate it in Leopard.

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...0001791-105869 says:
Quote:
If your software includes a custom daemon and runs in versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.4, use a startup item to launch the daemon. A startup item is a bundled shell script or executable binary that runs once when the computer first boots (see “The Boot Process”).

If you have custom startup items, you should install them in the /Library/StartupItems directory. Apple startup items are located in the /System/Library/StartupItems directory, although most of them have been stubbed out in Mac OS X v10.4 and later and replaced by launchd-compliant versions. The stubbed out versions remain for the benefit of other startup items that have dependencies on them.
I don't believe Apple intends to keep maintaining SystemStarter, or rolling its functionality into launchd, so StartupItems probably won't work in the long run. Doesn't really matter in this case, though.

Quote:
The StartupItem wouldn't actually launch a daemon,
A LaunchDaemon doesn't necessarily run a daemon in the sense that it keeps a binary or script running all the time. The term is a bit misleading in that regard. It is merely a thing that gets invoked upon a particular event (e.g., "system is about to shut down").
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-24, 21:09

Chucker, after reading around, it looks like the only way to accurately probe for mounted FUSE volumes involves getmntinfo(), which doesn't work with the StartupItem shell script idea.

So I've got the daemon written to unmount volumes on SIGTERM (what launchd items get sent on shutdown), scanning for both volumes mounted through DiskArbitration, and volumes mounted by the user.

Once I've got NTFS-3G compiling using static libraries (following the MacFUSE conventions for 0.1.7), I'll give the daemon a test run and unleash it here if it works. I've got homework for now, but hope to have something more substantial later tonight.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-25, 04:09

UPDATE: I have my new tools ready, called fuse_daemon and fuse_wait.

fuse_daemon is a launchd daemon that does absolutely nothing until it receives a SIGTERM, which indicates a system shutdown. User-initiated signals are SIGINT and SIGKILL (from Terminal and Activity Monitor), so it's fairly safe. It should correctly unmount FUSE volumes that were mounted through DiskArbitration, as well as volumes that were mounted by hand.

fuse_wait provides a thin wrapper around mounting programs. Basically, it constructs a listener for the "filesystem mounted" event from MacFUSE, then launches the mount program (such as ntfs-3g), and waits for the notification or timing out before it quits. The invocation looks like this:
Code:
fuse_wait /path/to/mountpoint 5 ntfs-3g ...
The mount point is duplicated, so that fuse_wait needs no knowledge of how individual mounters order or accept parameters. The second argument, 5, sets the timeout before fuse_wait will return with an error (-1). The minimum timeout is 5 seconds, but you can ask to wait longer. The third argument and everything after is treated as the mount command. fuse_wait always exits with the same value that the mount program does.

It's late here, but I've redone all the compiling with -O2 optimizations enabled (might help speed issues). I have NTFS-3G 20070118, and no longer need special MacFUSE builds. I also need sleep, but tomorrow I'll crank out installers for the new "FUSE Tools" package (since everyone can benefit from those, not just NTFS-3G), and the new NTFS-3G package that makes use of them.

I'll publish everything once I've tested it tomorrow.