User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Text Editor
dfj225

2004-08-04, 15:05

Hello,

For a few days I have been looking for a good, free text editor to edit HTML and PHP with. So far I haven't really come up with something that I really love. For Windows, I used to use EditPlus, which did a great job. However, I have been unable to find something similar for OS X. What I'm looking for is something that will have syntax highlighting and hopefully some tools to insert HTML code, do hex colors, stuff like that.

Thanks in advance,

~doug
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-08-04, 15:15

Have you used TextEdit for OS X? It's included with every computer now. Great little app. Not sure if it does all the stuff you need it to, but there's only one way to find out. It's sittin right there in your Applications folder.

Come waste your time with me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-04, 15:25

Try SubEthaEdit.

I do it for nearly all of my coding needs... HTML, PHP, CSS, Java.
dfj225

2004-08-04, 15:26

Text edit, while it would get the job done, doesn't really have all the features I'm looking for. I don't believe that it will keep track of tabbing, will highlight source, or has any tools for HTML, but thanks for the suggestion
dfj225

2004-08-04, 15:28

Humm...I think I've come across that in my search. It will probably end up being high on the list of programs I try. Do you know if there is some sort of plug-in (or it could even be an included feature, I don't know) that will give me html tools?
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-08-04, 15:38

No, SubEthaEdit is intended for people who already know the language. You won't find any add-on for additional "HTML tools" as you mention.

There's also Taco HTML Edit. While the UI isn't the prettiest by a longshot, it does have a lot more HTML-specific features. I've used it before, but I prefer SubThaEdit's minimalist interface and ability to handle other programming languages.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mr Beardsley

Send a message via AIM to Mr Beardsley  
2004-08-04, 17:36

Count me as another fan of SubEthaEdit. I use it for all my HTML/CSS needs.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-08-04, 18:55

Another for SubEthaEdit. It has a permanent spot in my dock.
dfj225

2004-08-04, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
No, SubEthaEdit is intended for people who already know the language. You won't find any add-on for additional "HTML tools" as you mention.

Yes, well I already do know HTML, but to me it is easier to just click a single button to insert some of the longer tags and then fill in the attributes. However, I will give SubEthaEdit a try.