Password
AppleNova Forums » Feedback »

changing the forums...

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
changing the forums...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-25, 01:11

This site is well designed and easy on the eyes. I like it a lot and I do enjoy being part of the community here ... as I do at the original AI.com.

However, I think that "here" is too similar to "there" and was wondering whether a reorganisation of forums would be in order - to help differentiate this place from that place and to provide something distinct to the membership here.

Don't get me wrong - I like the current forum divisions... but they're the same as AI.com (aside from the "Viva La Revolucion" forum).

So, are there any forums that people are interested in?

I know some were requesting a programmers forum and that would be good. (maybe it could be called "geekspeak" - no offence, just a cute moniker to describe the place.)

I would also like to see a forum devoted to the HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) to handle all things about UI design, ergonomics and usability issues. It would also be the place to discuss monitors, mouse recommendations and furniture.

We may even want to change some of the forum names - perhaps AppleOutsider could become no limits and General Discussion could just become what should I buy? A lot of the other topics in GD could easily fit into "no limits" and this would focus "what should I buy?" just on Apple purchasing advice and similar discussions? At the same time, do away with current hardware (where do people go to discuss iMac rev A's?) and call it Apple nostalgia - b/c, let's face it, once you take it off the showroom floor... it is obsolete! Perhaps we could also have a sticky in this fourm with a link to Mactracker or a cool history site. We could also use this place to discuss pre-OS X Apple software as well.

So - my lineup suggestion:
APPLE
Code:
Apple faction - speculation of future Apple hardware Apple nostalgia - current and old Apple hardware/software Digital Hub- iLife, iPod and iTMS, as well as .Mac & iSync Mac OS X - cheetah, jaguar, panther, tiger - talk about the big cats in here what should I buy? - purchasing advice
SPECIAL INTEREST
Code:
HCI - UI design, ergonomics, computer set-ups and 3rd party peripherals cool apps - news and tips related to 3rd party software geekspeak - programmers talk shop
SUPPORT & FEEDBACK
Code:
Genius Bar - Be nice ... help others with tech support questions Suggestions - got an idea or complaint? ... post us a note
ENTER AT OWN RISK
Code:
no limits - unmoderated discussion ;)

That are now 11 forums, but with space for two new forums and some reorganisation and consolidation of others.

Any thoughts?

All I want is a simple life
twitter

Last edited by Mac+ : 2004-05-25 at 01:16. Reason: typos - hate 'em
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-05-25, 01:46

We were just talking about that in the moderator forum. But we're going in a totally different direction. Since we have a SMALL community, we're shooting for a SMALL number of forums.

Basically, the admins have been thinking of doing this for a while but haven't gotten around to it. I noticed that the Current Hardware forum (which I moderate, in addition to General Discussion) is totally stagnant, and every thread could have been posted in GD as well without being off-topic.

Here's what we're thinking:

Speculation - Future hardware and software (Apple and 3rd party, replaces Future Hardware)
Apple Tech - Discussion of current Apple hardware and software
3rd Party Tech - Discussion of current third-party hardware and software
General Discussion - Discussion of tech-related things that don't fit into other categories
Tech Support - Just like Genius Bar, but with a name that jumps out to people who need help and have never been here before.
AppleOutsider - What it is now. Moderated non-tech related discussion. Might get a different name.
Feedback - Same as Suggestions, but with a broader name.

If you want a place to discuss the more involved stuff, you can just post it in the forum that fits it best rather than having an entire forum dedicated towards programmers. But I'll ask the guys if they think we should have a programming forum. If we do, we'll only have one. I doubt we'll make three forums dedicated to programming and interface design.

BTW, thanks to Brad and FFL for coming up with these. I hope you guys don't mind that I'm posting it here too - just want to make sure we have good communication among the admins, mods, and forumgoers.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-25, 03:29

OK - I'm cool with SMALL community & SMALL forums.

I think pscates outlined his ideas for a succinct forum reorganisation somewhere... link. But here it is as well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates
OS X
Digital Hub
Hardware
Software
General Discussion
Genius Bar

Six, tightly-focused forums (easy to keep track, moderate, navigate, bounce around, etc.) ...[snip]...
As for what you presented us with Luca, I don't like the idea of GD (too nebulous) and I think Apple Tech should encompass older Apple products as well - not just current.

I also think that a case can still be made for Digital Hub remaining (perhaps being renamed) and including the stuff I mentioned in my post: iLife, iPod and iTMS, .Mac, iSync. Perhaps it could also encompass other stuff such as printers and cameras, but then you dilute the Apple-ness of the forum and open it up too much. Other people's thoughts?

Anyway, still open for more discussion, I hope!

twitter
Defiant

Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant  
2004-05-25, 04:30

I like the suggestion, Luca. However, don't forget AppleOutsider. I'd really like to do this different this time, and I've already made a thread about it. You've seen it: Deciding on AppleOutsider now, before we have the mess again. Please don't let that feedback go unnoticed.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-05-25, 05:42

Yeah lets have a forum called:

"I am wearing my flame-retardant suit, bring it on, bitch!"

That way you can't say that you were not warned before you posted
Wickers
is not a kind of basket

2004-05-25, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega
"I am wearing my flame-retardant suit, bring it on, bitch!"
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-05-25, 08:51

Alex Ross is amazing.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2004-05-25, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
BTW, thanks to Brad and FFL for coming up with these. I hope you guys don't mind that I'm posting it here too
Curses, I wanted to post them first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
I don't like the idea of GD (too nebulous) and I think Apple Tech should encompass older Apple products as well - not just current.
GD has worked perfectly as it is now. What's too nebulous about it? It would be the same as it has been, maybe with just a few less threads since there's a place for non-Apple hardware. And as for "current" products, well, like with the dotcom that just means products that have already shipped and actually exist; it is the foil for the "future" products.

Quote:
but then you dilute the Apple-ness of the forum and open it up too much.
Which is why I proposed to separate Apple and non-Apple discussions regarding hardware and software.

Also, let me say that the reason for consolidating the hardware and software together is that historically the hardware forum has been lightly trafficked outside of product releases. On top of that, new users confusingly use it as a tech support forum. Digital Hub has received plenty of traffic, but it's a mixed bunch. Some of it is about Apple's iPod and iLife apps and some is about phones and cameras and PDAs. They fit together if you want them to, but it doesn't always seem to be a natural conglomeration.

AppleInsider.org is still a young community. The last thing we want to do is oversaturate the site with forums ala MacNN and thin out the already small number of threads. Reorganization and consolidation is in everyone's best interests here.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-05-25, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The last thing we want to do is oversaturate the site with forums ala MacNN and thin out the already small number of threads. Reorganization and consolidation is in everyone's best interests here.
the first line of my previous post...
Quote:
OK - I'm cool with SMALL community & SMALL forums.
Quote:
And as for "current" products, well, like with the dotcom that just means products that have already shipped and actually exist; it is the foil for the "future" products.
Don't follow this exactly, but if you mean that Apple Tech will be the forum for all hardware and software that are not future based, then I presume this means anybody with a Performa or, dare I say it, a Mac+ who wants to build a Macquarium or get info on such projects should post in Apple Tech.

Quote:
GD has worked perfectly as it is now. What's too nebulous about it?
referring more to its definition, than its inclusion as a forum. It's very Zen like in that its defintion is the absence of a specific definition. Perhaps a more focussed descriptor would direct the newbies what exactly to post there? Or maybe that's being too pedantic? :shrugs:

Quote:
Which is why I proposed to separate Apple and non-Apple discussions regarding hardware and software.

Also, let me say that the reason for consolidating the hardware and software together is that historically the hardware forum has been lightly trafficked outside of product releases. On top of that, new users confusingly use it as a tech support forum.
Made a mental note of that and thought it sensible, so I didn't comment on it.
Quote:
Digital Hub has received plenty of traffic, but it's a mixed bunch. Some of it is about Apple's iPod and iLife apps and some is about phones and cameras and PDAs. They fit together if you want them to, but it doesn't always seem to be a natural conglomeration.
Yeah, I'm oscillating a bit about this still - hence my previous post... but I do see it as a core part of Apple's recent strategy, which I felt could still warrant it being a forum in its own right. I personally like the idea - but at the same time, I can also see that 3rd Party Tech could potentially cover it.

Having just written that where do I post how to get my new digital camera to work with iPhoto? Or my new phone to sync with Address Book? Are these to go in 3rd Party Tech or Apple Tech? Or perhaps they're both meant for Tech Support? I can see "three" sides of the coin here... perhaps others have an idea on how to best define this area?

Anyway, it seems like you guys have already decided on how you'd like the forums presented. :/
No doubt, people will continue to post.

twitter
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-05-28, 15:57

I think that in the new lineup, we should spil third party thech into Software and Hardware.

And any typos in this are because the text box isn't working right now.
HOM
The Elderâ„¢

2004-05-28, 16:18

I like the simplified and streamlined approach. Only suggestion I have is to split OSX away into it's own forum. But it's minor so disregard if it doesn't fit into The Master Plan.

CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

¡Viva La Revolucion!
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-05-28, 18:36

I agree with HOM on the OS X forum, if not, a software forum at least instead of lumping software and hardware into one forum.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-06, 00:25

Moogs had a good idea in this thread to change the name of the AO forum to RDF - or RealityDistortionForums... I reckon that's a winner!
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2004-06-06, 00:43

This might be the URL you are after:

http://forums.appleinsider.org/showt...=5690#post5690
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-06, 01:31

Exactly! Thanks Omega.

Thanks for the tip about searching for other posts and then copying down the url, but I just wish there was an easier way to do this than having to check the poster's profile first. :shrugs:

twitter