User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Tab hi-lighting *everything*

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Tab hi-lighting *everything*
SledgeHammer

2005-08-12, 20:38

Until recently, when I was using Safari, and I hit the tab key, it jumped between any input boxes on the page and the address field and the Google field. A few days ago, for no discernible reason, it now cycles through, not only those fields, but also any form buttons on the site, as well as the back and forward buttons, all of my book mark bar book marks, and the close "x" and title on every open tab. What's happening? The "press tab to hi-light each item on a webpage" preference is still unchecked. I don't recall changing anything, but it's only been doing this for a few days. I don't know what happened, but it's really annoying. I was playing in Universal Access the other day, just for fun, so I checked to make sure I hadn't changed anything in there, but I hadn't, and it only seems to be affecting Safari anyway. Anyone have any ideas?
SledgeHammer

2005-08-12, 20:46

First of all, when I thought about it some more, I realized that it wasn't just safari, I had been noticing a blue ring around buttons in dialog boxes too. Second of all, It doesn't matter, because Brad solved my problem without even realizing it. I found the following in another thread I happened to be reading:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts

You'll find those specific shortcuts there (and more) and be able to change them if you like. You can also turn on/off tabbing between all UI elements.
I don't know how it got changed, because I hadn't been in Keyboard & Mouse for anything. But I went in, found the check box and solved my problem. So thanks Brad, if you see this.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2005-08-13, 02:34

Not that it helps you or anything now, but you may have also selected "Press Tab to Highlight each item on a page" option in the advanced menu in Safari's preferences.

Come waste your time with me
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-08-13, 02:41

Do I win the prize?

Man, I didn't even have to try! I rule.

About this, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer
I don't know how it got changed,
Did you see the keyboard shortcuts listed there? I bet you accidentally hit control-F7 and toggled that option without realizing it.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.