Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Boot Camp Help Pleaseeee

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Boot Camp Help Pleaseeee
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
moo

2006-10-24, 21:29

Hi I'm having ANOTHER problem trying to install windows...
I get to the blue screen that says
WELCOME TO SETUP
and it says

TO SET UP WINDOWS PRESS ENTER NOW

and a few other options

BUT I keep hitting ENTEr and nothing happens!
I've tried rebooting and everything, but it keeps stopping at this screen and
fifty ENTERs won't get it to move!!!

Any ideas on how to proceed?
Is there some weird combination of keys that I'm meant to press????

Thanks a bunch
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2006-10-24, 21:34

I've never done the bootcamp thing (no Intel Macs here... yet). But, if I were to guess... it might be a keyboard issue. Are you hitting 'return' or 'enter' (on the number pad)? Windows keyboards map them both to 'enter,' but Mac keyboards differentiate between the two. Try hitting the number pad 'enter,' and see if that works.
moo

2006-10-24, 21:36

Yeah I tried hitting the RETURN key and the ENTER key...
I even connected a USB keyboard...and still nothing
i'm using a macbook
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-10-24, 21:38

Plug in the USB keyboard before you start Bootcamp.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2006-10-24, 21:39

I had something like this too once. I think I solved it by booting with or without an external mouse. I know, strange.
moo

2006-10-24, 21:39

Well everytime i reboot now, it goes straight to this Setup thing, and not to Mac OS....
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-10-24, 21:40

hold option when booting up.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-10-24, 21:40

yea. it will try to boot off the CD until it successfully installs. Hold down Option to choose your OS X disk if you want to boot normally.
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-10-24, 21:41

Dang it windowsrookie, stop beating me to the punch! hehe

(waiting for 30 second anti-spam timer...)
moo

2006-10-24, 21:41

OK, I'll give booting in OSX a shot and starting Boot camp again - let's see how that goes...
Thanks
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-10-24, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby View Post
DAMN IT! (waiting 30 seconds...)

windowsrookie, stop beating me to the punch!
I've actually got some PC troubles right now, Trying to get a Dell to boot up. So I'm killing some time while I back up the HD.


Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

2006-10-24, 21:46

hehe. I edited to make things nicer. I didn't want to sound mean.
moo

2006-10-24, 21:56

ARGHHHHH!!!

STILL NO LUCK!

What could the problem be?
Maybe the Windows XP CD???
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

2006-10-24, 21:58

What computer are you using? What keyboard and mouse? Is it a leagal XP CD? XP pro, 64-bit, home?
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2006-10-24, 21:59

Quote:
What could the problem be?
Maybe the Windows XP CD???
is it SP2, or the original (SP1)?

Only SP2 will work for Bootcamp.
moo

2006-10-24, 22:01

I'm using a black Macbook. 1GB RAM
The external keyboard I plugged in was one of the Apple USB keyboard that came with my iMac.
I tried using the Macbook's keyboard normally as well...

The XP CD is a burned copy. I think it's professional.

I've done the install before on another Macbook with a burned XP copy...but I dunno, is that what you think it is?

I'm thinking it might be the CD...
I guess I'll have to try another one.
Sketch
Formerly “iceman009”

2006-10-25, 03:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo
so you don't know which version of Windows you are trying to install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo
I've done the install before on another Macbook with a burned XP copy...
Did it work on the other macbook? Again, we need to know whether you are trying to install Win SP2 or not.

MacBook with Super Glue...seriously though
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-10-25, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
You do have a license, right?
PKIDelirium
Veteran Member

2006-10-25, 12:16

Is it a Slipstream disc?
WindowsOnApple

2006-10-28, 16:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo View Post
Hi I'm having ANOTHER problem trying to install windows...
I get to the blue screen that says
WELCOME TO SETUP
and it says

TO SET UP WINDOWS PRESS ENTER NOW

and a few other options

BUT I keep hitting ENTEr and nothing happens!
I've tried rebooting and everything, but it keeps stopping at this screen and
fifty ENTERs won't get it to move!!!

Any ideas on how to proceed?
Is there some weird combination of keys that I'm meant to press????

Thanks a bunch
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First, ask yourself this question: Did you CHOOSE a partition to which to install XP when in the XP installer? If not, I am not surprised that the Installer wouldn't let you go on any further. You MUST select "C:" Use the up/down arrow keys to choose a volume. Then press the <Enter> key.

Some advice for installing XP using Boot Camp Assistant on Apple Intel PCs:
To install XP w/SP2 sucessfully using Boot Camp Assistant software:
1) Make sure all the necessary (i.e., the latest) Apple Firmware upgrades are installed for your particular Apple Intel PC BEFORE even installing Boot Camp Assistant. Also be sure your Apple is Intel-based. Boot Camp Assistant will NOT work with a PPC-based Apple.

2) Make sure the latest version of Boot Camp Assistant is installed (currently, 1.1.1)

3) Make sure you have an OFFICIAL (i.e., LEGAL) copy of Windows w/SP2 (either a Generic OEM copy or a "Full Retail" copy). To tell, look at the CD: It will have an edge-to-edge hologram in the actual CD itself, not printed on top of the CD.
This hologram will be extremely colorful, not "plain". You may use either XP Home w/SP2 or XP Pro w/SP2.

4) Make sure your copy of XP is NOT an "Upgrade" edition CD of XP. You will be unable to use this to install XP, since either an existing installation of a previous Microsoft OS must already be on your HD, or you must have a "Full Retail" or "Generic OEM" copy of a previous Microsoft OS disk. In addition, you MUST be able to exchange the XP installation disk with this previous copy of Windows during the installation. This means, unless your keyboard (third-party, not Apple) is able to open the DVD drive of your Apple, you will be unable to use such "Upgrade" disks of XP, since the CD Eject key of the Apple Pro keyboard is inaccessible once the XP installer begins. I currently know of no third-party keyboards with a CD Eject key which works in the XP installer. If anyone knows of one, please let me know A.S.A.P.

5) Make sure you follow Apple's and Microsoft's installation instructions TO THE LETTER. Do NOT try to "tweak" them. Do not decide you know better than Apple or Microsoft in this matter. You simply don't.

6) Make sure your XP partition is large enough to install XP (needs a minimum of 8GB). Do NOT take Apple's proposed minimum of 5GB as the size of your XP partition. Make it as large as possible, in fact. While it WILL install in 5GB, 5GB is simply too small, since XP uses Virtual Memory to a great deal. This means, the more free space it has on the HD, the better it will run, especially if you have 1GB or less physical memory. XP likes lots of room to live in and breathe. Don't like this? Tough. That's XP, so get used to it.

7) Do NOT try to install XP into ANY other partition than "C:". It won't install unless there is a C:" partition. This is the partition you create using BootCamp Assistant before starting the XP installer. Everytime I've used BootCamp, there have been
i) a 200 MB EFI partition [XP calls it "Unknown"]
ii) Another "Unknown" partition the size of your OS X partition AFTER using Boot Camp to create a partition for Windows.
iii) a small 100MB partition, labeled "Unpartitioned" in the XP installer [which I think is used to make the partition boundaries right, so DON'T mess with this partition], and
iv) the new partition you created for XP, labeled "C:",
in that order. So "C:" will be the fourth, and LAST partition on your HD.

*NOTE* XP will not create or format FAT partitions larger than 32GB, so if you want read/write exchanges between OS X and XP, you MUST create a FAT partition smaller than or equal to 32GB. You will NOT be able to even see your OS X partition from within XP, nor will you be able to write to NTFS volumes from OS X, so read/write-capable partitions for XP and OSX file exchanges MUST be FAT.

You won't even be able to see the OS X partition from within XP unless you use a third-party utility under XP, such as MacDisk. You will be able to see, read, and write to an XP partition from within OS X IF it is FAT (or FAT32).

I myself use a small 32GB FAT32 partition on a portable USB drive as my file exchange partition, and formatted the XP partition on my OS X disk as NTFS.

Hopefully, this will help you to avoid the pitfalls of installing XP on your Apple Intel PC.

P.S. Either MS Windows XP, Vista, any other version of Windows, any Intel version of Linux or Unix will install EASILY (using their native installation disks) on Apple Intel PCs which have the LATEST Apple Firmware fixes, as the EXCLUSIVE OS on the HD, with absolutely NO TROUBLE AT ALL. I know this personally, since I have installed XP and Vista both as the exclusive OS on the HD, without OS X being installed, and without an EFI partition existing.

However, for the convenience of being able to upgrade my Apple Intel iMac's hardware, I have since reinstalled OS X, since once a different OS is installed as the exclusive OS on Apple Intel PCs, it is not possible to install Apple Firmware upgrades without reinstalling OS X "clean" (thus wiping out your third-party OS). I do have one or more versions of Windows installed as secondary OSes.

Last edited by WindowsOnApple : 2006-10-28 at 17:08. Reason: a few incorrect parts.
Niall

2006-11-15, 17:09

Hi Folks,

I'm having exactly the same problem as this - window installation is stuck at the same point. By the looks of the Apple support forums there are no quick fixes for this, but can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks in advance
Niall

Edit: I have a license.

Last edited by Niall : 2006-11-15 at 17:21.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2006-11-15, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
You do have a license, right?
LOL sure he does
Niall

2006-11-15, 20:27

Gents,

For the record, unplugging the Mighty Mouse did the trick.

At the back of the Boot Camp instructions it suggests plugging the MM into your usb keyboard rather than direct into the computer.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2006-11-15, 21:18

Speaking of Boot Camp...

I spent the afternoon and evening getting Parallels
up and running on all of the Macs in a lab. I set up Windows, updated
it, added basic software like Firefox 2.0, Instant Messenger, iTunes,
Napster, Windows Media Player 10, Quicktime 7, and Flash. This is up
and running on every single machine in the room. I had no problems.

Parallels is a go.

Boot Camp is another story: I installed Boot Camp on an iMac to see
how it would go. The software installed flawlessly, however after
rebooting, I could not get Boot Camp to recognize the Windows XP disc.
It kept insisting that I needed to wait a moment for the disc to
mount, but it had already been mounted for several minutes. After
another reboot, still no success. This is the same disc I used for
Parallels without issue. I'm not sure how I should proceed here?????????

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-11-16, 00:56

Are you trying to install Boot Camp and Parallels on the same Mac? It's possible to do this, but it takes a bit of monkeying around to make it possible. I recall Chucker writing something about this a few days ago.

"Virtually bursting with adequatulence."
solinari6

2006-11-16, 10:31

I had a weird keyboard problem when I installed bootcamp. It wouldn't recognize any of my keystrokes. My mac keyboard came with a USB extension cord thingie. I got around the problem by taking off the extension cord, and plugging the keyboard directly into the mac. Then it worked fine.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2006-11-17, 21:02

If you partition your HD for bootcamp, but fail to install Windows because you're a bit of a tool and didn't realize you need SP2, can you un-partition the HD? Can I still install Windows once I buy a SP2 disk? How would I do that? (I know I can't get an upgrade disk).

Thanks!
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-11-17, 21:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
If you partition your HD for bootcamp, but fail to install Windows because you're a bit of a tool and didn't realize you need SP2, can you un-partition the HD?
Yes, by running Boot Camp Setup Assistant again.

Quote:
Can I still install Windows once I buy a SP2 disk?
Yes, by running it yet again.

Quote:
(I know I can't get an upgrade disk).
No, but you can slipstream your existing disk to add SP2.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2006-11-18, 01:04

Thanks for the help chucker!
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2006-11-21, 18:07

Quote:
No, but you can slipstream your existing disk to add SP2.
How would one go about doing that?