AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Spider Solitaire for Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Spider Solitaire for Mac
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-11-08, 14:24

Quick Question, is there a suitable version for Mac (free)?

Also, hearts, and the other lot that my mum doesn't shut up about.

Mac+
9" monochrome

2006-11-08, 16:51

Try doing a search here ... http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/
rollercoaster375

Send a message via AIM to rollercoaster375 Send a message via MSN to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Yahoo to rollercoaster375 Send a message via Skype™ to rollercoaster375 
2006-11-08, 18:15

There's actually a project that originated here (AppleNova) to create a native version of Spider.
emptyreality

2006-11-08, 21:10

If you're a firefox user, there is an excellent card game extension here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1562/
It has spider solitaire and over 30 others.
joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-11-08, 23:25

OMG I was just thinking the same thing!
arnoct

2006-11-09, 11:38

I'd be interested in one too... Seriously, Spider Solitaire is so much more fun than normal solitaire. Anyone who knows me IRL knows how much I despise solitaire
LudwigVan
Veteran Member

2006-11-09, 23:22

Ah, Spider. The chess of the Solitaire family.

I agree with the others in that Klondike can get old real quick.
arnoct

2006-11-10, 10:46

My rant about klondike:

It's not that klondike gets old... Everyone--everyone--plays it, but nobody fucking likes it. Nobody wakes up in the morning and says "you know what? I think I'm going to play some solitaire." Nobody goes out of their way to play solitaire. People play solitaire because they don't want to work. That's the only reason. And everyone secretly hates the game. You know what I mean, you go and play 400 games of solitaire, and you win like 2, and every time you win you're like "FUCK this game!" ...but three minutes later you don't want to work anymore so you load it up again and lose again. And when you finally win, you feel like you won the lottery--but then you realize you just won against yourself. And then you realize you just lost a game 398 other times against yourself. And don't get me worked up about coworkers, oh my god. "Hey, Bill, did you get the reports I sent you? I sent them today. You did? Oh good. I was wondering if we can--three on the four." And it's at this point you want to just find the sharpest implement of pain you can, find their family and murder them all. You don't want to hurt them physically, you want them to feel it in their heart. You want them to hurt so badly, feel so depressed, you want them to die of loneliness, because if there's one thing you hate, it's someone else telling you how to play with yourself.

Last edited by arnoct : 2006-11-10 at 10:47. Reason: edited for comedy
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2006-11-10, 10:55

Kinda like pretzels.
ragedriven

2006-11-18, 13:26

my mom is super addicted to xp's spider solitaire, yet she decided to get a mac mini or whatever this thing is. I've been searching in vain to find a spider solitaire that works for this thing. The firefox extension doesn't install, it says to check the java version....i think this is tiger? not sure, it won't let me reinstall java, the apple java site has no download link, i'm going to seriously recommend to her to return this piece of crap excuse for a "PC"
Windowsrookie
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Windowsrookie Send a message via MSN to Windowsrookie Send a message via Yahoo to Windowsrookie  
2006-11-18, 13:33

So you want her to return a fantastic computer because you don't know how to install something?
Ryan
Veteran Member

2006-11-18, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedriven View Post
my mom is super addicted to xp's spider solitaire, yet she decided to get a mac mini or whatever this thing is. I've been searching in vain to find a spider solitaire that works for this thing. The firefox extension doesn't install, it says to check the java version....i think this is tiger? not sure, it won't let me reinstall java, the apple java site has no download link, i'm going to seriously recommend to her to return this piece of crap excuse for a "PC"
Did you run Software Update? It's in System Preferences.
Enki

2006-11-18, 17:47

Don't even need to do that.

Cards runs fine on Firefox 2.0 here, messing with a Java reinstall is only asking for trouble. Cards did have issues once upon a time according to the add-on remarks, but all works straight up now. I just installed on a virgin Ff 2.0 (downloaded minutes ago) and nary a hitch.

Try again with a fresh Firefox 2.0 download. If you still have issues you probably have some sort of add-on conflict, which would make it a Ff issue, not a Mac issue. Then you need to try install with other add-ons disabled.
colivigan
Veteran Member

2006-11-18, 17:47

Following the excellent advice of Mac+ , I found Classic Solitaire and mondo solitaire, among others (a search for "solitaire" returned 342 hits).

Classic looks like a shareware app, while mondo is a free Dashboard widget.

Disclaimer: I have not tried either.