AppleNova Forums » Purchasing Advice »

Electric shavers

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Electric shavers
Page 2 of 2 Previous 1 [2]  Thread Tools
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-12-20, 13:58

Hey torifile, how did that shaver work out?
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-12-20, 23:04

So far so good. I've skipped a day shaving on a couple of occasions and that type of growth would ordinarily be a blood bath for me with a razor - I have no idea why - and it's been smooth both times. I haven't shaved at all this weekend so I'll see how it does on the third day.

But overall, I've been pretty impressed. Not as close as a razor but much less irritation. It does still, inexplicably, miss a few hairs on my cheeks and neck but I just let go of that. Unless you're really close to my face, you probably wouldn't know it.

And now to ugly up the thread a bit:

The problem with most electrics is that my hair tends to curl into the skin on my face so it requires some pressure and going against the grain to actually even cut it and they don't seem to do well with that type of hair. This one seems much better thus far.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2009-12-21, 14:15

The shaver is still impressing me. No irritation and a pretty smooth shave this morning. So far, thumbs up!
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-12-21, 16:36

Good to hear Torifile. I’m glad that it has worked out for you. For the odd stray hair ‘left standing’ just use the long hair trimmer, and then go over it with the regular electric shaving head. That takes about 20 seconds, right at the end. In any event, missing a spot also can happen with a blade, although the reason for it and ultimate effect is a bit different.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2013-03-29, 14:51

My Panasonic electric shaver gave out a couple of weeks ago, so I had to buy a new shaver. I had two Panasonic models over the last 10 years and was fairly happy with them. I especially liked the first one, which was the top of the line model at the time. I cheaped out a bit on the second one, and bought the second-tier Panasonic, and was not quite as happy with it. I go back to my recommendation earlier in this thread to buy top of the line. When it comes to shavers, it does make a difference.

The one thing that none of my electric shavers has done all that well is the neck part of the beard. My neck hairs lay down flat and can be difficult to get at. After reading some reviews, I saw a lot of recommendations for the latest generation of Phillips rotary shavers - the 3D SensoTouch line - so I decided to give it a try. I have been very pleased. It is the first shaver that has easily taken care of the neck part of the beard, while doing the rest very well also. Another feature is that it is much quieter than any other electric shaver that I have had.

Last edited by Chinney : 2013-03-29 at 20:17. Reason: grammatical error
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2013-03-29, 17:39

Good to hear, I have the same problem with neck hair. My electric shaver, a Panasonic, is now well over 10 years old, but I have been thinking of replacing it. When it comes to this stuff I generally go by the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" moto, but it is showing it's age. The battery doesn't hold a charge very well anymore (shocking I know), so it's time is coming.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-29, 20:44

Which model did you end up actually getting? I'm in dire need of a new one. I've been using Norelco cordless for about 7 years now. I've also only replaced the heads on it a few times. Anyway, I'm considering a newer one but may only need new heads instead.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2013-03-29, 21:09

Hi Turtle,

This is the exact model that I bought:

Model details here: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ.../10146382.aspx

It is a bit pricey, but worth it in my opinion.

I hope that you and Freewell are doing fine. I think about you often and the difficult year that you must have had last year.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-29, 21:31

I didn't realize Norelco was a Phillips product. This is the model I'm considering replacing.

The reviews all rave about it as much as I used to. My charge still holds for a really long time. Makes me consider new heads again after reading the reviews. I know it wasn't cheap, likely about as much as the one you posted.

About us, we are doing awesome! Clean bill of health BTW! Still going through the treatment for longterm (2 years total) with a much easier drug. Thanks to low LDH numbers means good news for us!

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2013-03-30, 09:33

Yes, as it turns out, Norelco is just (or at least has been) the brand name that Philips has used in the USA. Explanation from Wiki:

Quote:
From the early 1940s, Philco was legally able to prevent Philips from using the name "Philips" on any products marketed in the USA, because the two names were judged to sound similar and that it may cause litigation. As a result, Philips instead used the name Norelco, an acronym for "North American Philips [electrical] Company." Philips continued to use that name for all their US products until 1974, when Philips purchased The Magnavox Company. Philips then relabeled their US consumer electronics products to the Magnavox name, but retained the Norelco name for their other US products. When Philips bought Philco in 1981, Philips was able to freely use the Philips name for all of their US products, but they chose to retain the Norelco name for personal care appliances, and the Magnavox name for economy-priced consumer electronics.

One reason for retaining the Norelco name for personal care appliances was that a shift to the Philips name could have alienated those US buyers who were reluctant to purchase foreign brands. The market share of Philips, a European company, was very low in the US compared to other countries; with their Norelco and Magnavox brands, they were able to get a larger market share.

Eventually, to improve Philips brand recognition in the USA, Philips began branding their shavers "Philips Norelco" in 2005. The Philips Norelco co-branding will allow for an eventual phase out of the Norelco name in favor of the Philips name.

Anyway, if your older shaver is still great, but just needs a new shaving head, then you should get that replaced. I know that for the shaver I just bought Philips recommends replacing the head every two years. I don't know how necessary that actually is, or if it is just Philips 'recommending' that Philips earn higher profits. Presumably, though, those shaving heads do eventually wear out. When did you last replace yours?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2013-03-30, 10:40

Well, it's been so long that I can't recall when it happened. So it's certainly time to change them out. I'm going to head out and get some today.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-11-22, 20:44

So, I ended up getting a new razor! However I can't open it until Christmas.

Philips Norelco SensoTouch 3D with NT 9110 Trimmer

I'm looking forward to see how it shaves.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-04-14, 18:06

I've had the same model - minus the trimmer - for more than 2 years now, and have been very happy with it. Philips (Norelco) suggests that you replace the shaving head every year, but I have gone 2 years on the initial parts without noticing any real deterioration in shaving quality.