Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Can't delete music from iPhone

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Can't delete music from iPhone
Wrao
Yarp

2014-09-02, 10:47

There are about a dozen songs on my iPhone that are definitely on my phone(they'll still play even if I turn off all connectivity, so it's not a streaming thing) but they do not show up in iTunes and I can't swipe to delete them. The common thread with each of these songs is that I used the cloud to download them to my phone from my iTunes library. Every other song that I put on my iPhone manually can be deleted, but these cloud ones cannot, except they're not in the cloud (anymore) they're *on* my device. It's annoying because most of the songs are songs I just wanted to listen to once -- hence why I pulled it from the cloud -- and now they are just taking up space that I'd rather use for something else.

Anyone encountered this or know any solutions?

iPhone 5S, iOS 7.1
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-02, 10:56

I’m encountering a somewhat similar problem with TextEdit files autosaved in the cloud that I simply cannot get rid of. These things show up in Spotlight and can be opened at will but resist deletion and furthermore cause TextEdit to crash on a regular basis.

Suffice to say I had approximately zero confidence in iCloud even before the latest fiasco with the celebrities. Bugs galore.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Wrao
Yarp

2014-09-02, 11:04

Yeah. The whole setup seems to be designed from a "always on, always connected, set it and forget it" mindset. Apple has always had their fair share of "our way or the highway" mentality and "we know what's good for you" with their designs, and I guess overall they've been right-ish or done a good enough job with things that matter to me that I tend to give them a pass, but I dunno, stuff like this just seems really badly thought out in an institutional level. I start to see Apple a bit more just another dumb company extolling features and capabilities over usability or any sense. I've never warmed to iCloud overall but some of the peripheral features are easy enough(like photo stream and re-downloading purchased music) this sort of stuff just makes the whole thing seem bad.

Another quirk of iTunes/iPhone I noticed recently is that regardless of what music is actually playing, if I tilt the phone to landscape mode it shows the album for this one Madonna song that is on my phone(and is also un-delete-able) ?