User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » GamingNova »

MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MC: Maps! Welcome to your world!
Page 15 of 25 First Previous 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19  Next Last Thread Tools
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-16, 23:15

Map updates are running now. Having to do them completely over because of the version change from 1.7.4 to 1.7.9. Players and beds will still not work because the software isn't updated for the new data scheme used by them.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-19, 17:49

So, I was doing some cleanup stuff today and decided I wanted to have a look at this new Mob farm. Pretty cool, actually. Bruce is anything if not industrious!

Anyway, Grey was down there and mentioned that, with the portals in "off" mode, monsters were spawning in there in pretty large numbers and he would come back later and light the area.

Well, I was bored, so I went ahead and did that.

Also, I went ahead and put the portals back together (replacing the obsidian and glass) but left them unlit. Perhaps we will find there was little wisdom in that idea for now, but, whichever. I suppose if they spontaneously ignite, then it's on me.

Anyhow, the collection area at the bottom is no longer catching bad guys, since none are spawning.

Bruce used trapdoors across the length of each portal at the bottom. I popped them up to form paths across the chasms to make torch-placing easier. Should be no problem to remove the torches and open the trapdoors in the future. Or something …

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-19, 18:28

Cool, but do not light those portals again please. It does sound pretty interesting though and I wouldn't mind seeing it. Mind taking screen captures at some point of it?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-19, 21:46

I have no plans to light the portals. I know they're causing Beast to barf. I'll see about some screen shots.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-05-19, 21:52

It wasn't just Beast, it was anyone viewing the maps with portals visible.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-05-20, 12:55

The portals are 23x23 and there are 92 of them—23 in each of four bays—visible through the glass gaps). The portals are rimmed with glass on the sides and open trapdoors at the bottom. I closed the doors in rows to facilitate lighting the space. The collection area is dark as night, but it does not need lighting as it is built using half-slabs. The "roof" is only one block deep, but no spiders can spawn there as the "floor" of the area consists of one block obsidian, one block empty, one block obsidian, etc.

There are Youtube videos galore that discuss this type of trap, so if you want to see what's going on, just hit Youtube and type "Minecraft Pigman farm" in the search.

Screenshots of Bruce's Pigman farm.

Quote:
Looking down from the top:

Quote:
Looking across the "roof":

Quote:
The Water collection area under the "floor":

Quote:
The "kill the bad guys / sorting area:

FYI: My maths tell me there are 8464 blocks of obsidian in play.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-01, 20:39

The maps are having a challenge for some reason. Not sure what changed but I'm getting an error on every attempt to run the maps. I'll try to work on it this weekend so it updates for everyone.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-03, 19:52

So the issue is with a piece of art that someone put up. Seems to be a known bug with the generator. So I'm looking for a new one since this one has been all but abandoned. I keep hoping it will pick up again but looks like I'm going to search out a new one.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2014-08-03, 21:18

Could we all take our artwork down?

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-03, 21:22

Well, if someone knows they put it up after the last successful render that would be the likely culprit.
Code:
Render Stats Render time: 44 minutes 36 seconds Peak memory usage: 9.6Mb Created on Thu, 31 Jul 2014 Created at 09:45 EDT
It started failing after that build. So someone on midday before 1500 on Thursday, it was you.

Edit: for now, I'm replicating the archive of the Thursday map gen to here: http://mc.applenova.com/biomeapalooza/

Last edited by turtle : 2014-08-03 at 21:37.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-08-04, 06:33

Crap, that may have been me. I used some signs to hang Vigo over a hole I wanted covered. I'll take him down.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-08-04, 06:35

Try it now, Vigo is down.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-08-05, 14:12

Turtle, any luck after i took down that painting?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-05, 17:50

Sorry I hadn't gotten to it until now. Actually, that looks to have solved the problem. It's rendering the maps now! We should see within the next 2 hours the full completed results.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-05, 20:15

Maps are definitely back. Not sure why your picture made the difference, but it did.
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-08-06, 12:40

This is where i had the picture hanging:

I wanted to cover the hole on the one side and make it look like a wall on the other. Apparently it was too much for the maps
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-08-20, 18:48

Maps appear to have ceased updating. Probably not critical to life itself, but very important to quality of life!
kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-08-20, 21:55

Boy, lodge a complaint and the problem is solved. You guys have some FANtastic customer service!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-21, 20:53

I didn't notice Beast had locked up so it stopped making the maps. This was my first real chance to get on the forums. Beast has been giving me a fit lately and I need to upgrade his hardware. In the mean time, I'm going to move the work to Lenny running CentOS 7 as a bit of a test platform.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-08-26, 22:42

I think Beast is rebelling. Perhaps its time for tar and feathers?
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-27, 18:14

Yeah, still being mad at me. I have started the processes over again with a hard reboot and all is well again at this point...for now.

I actually have 12GB of RAM coming for Lenny so I can make it run as the Map maker for us. Once that gets here I'll try to get it in full service. The 4GB in it right now is not enough and it just errors out.

kscherer
Which way is up?

2014-08-27, 18:33

I don't believe you. Bill Gates says we'll never need more than 1 byte of RAM!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-08-27, 19:23

Just like we don't need more than 512,000 BGP routes either right.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-10-13, 21:34

I'm putting Varnish on my fronted server tonight. I'll be configuring it in the coming days since I doubt I'll get it done tonight. Should this work like I'm expecting it to, Maps will be a little bit faster. It will also allow me do forwarding of specific web sites to different servers in my house.

This is going to let me take the load off of my main web server that is actually one massive multifunction server.

Anyway, geek speak aside, you might have an interruption in your usual web service from me. This shouldn't effect the game server at all though.

Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2014-11-06, 21:28

So, uh, who is going bat crap nuts with the exploring?
ThunderPoit
Making sawdust

2014-11-09, 00:33

I believe that was grey
¡Damned!

2014-11-09, 16:50

Indeed it was.

That patch of water directly South of CC looked like the best, closest place for a Monument in 1.8 (if one didn't luckily show up in the ocean directly West after the wipe), so I really just wanted to skirt the edges and loop back to the portal. No muss no fuss.

Unfortunately that Southern body of water is bigger than 20 Cashout Coves, and in my arrogance I pushed further than I should have. You can see on the map me starting to go West and mapping the shoreline, but eventually gave up when I got way too far out and then /back-ed out. Figuring the West route was just a poor choice, I went back to the portal and headed East. I ran into the same largeness, again stopping short and then headed North back to safety.

In that trip back to the portal I went through archipelagos, and then later that week went back to the "unfilled" area in the map and found our Mooshroom isles, so there's that.

Still, it was a little reckless and selfish on my part to keep going knowing that I was expanding the map at every turn.

That said, fuck that thing. I still never even came close to the South edge, so before we wipe I'm going after that fucker. Bitch-ass massive ocean, there's no way I'm leaving without seeing the other side. I expect a scouting party before the end, pushing our frail boats forward until they break from the stress or land on sweet, sweet shoreline.

So it goes.

Last edited by 709 : 2014-11-09 at 17:03.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-12-08, 21:44

Here is a list of the archived maps to keep you from forgetting our past! Also, new sample image above.

The above is a list of the worlds that are archived as well as the current world that I have just updated as of the switch to Minecraft 1.8.1. I have also left The End and the Nether map to the list here even though they are out of date. Well, Nether is anyway.

I attempted to make updates of the current map but the map generator can't handle the new parts of 1.8.1 it seems. I'm going to check on updates and changes or other options in the near future, but for now, enjoy the archives.

Last edited by turtle : 2014-12-08 at 23:24.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-12-10, 17:38

Good news, the program was updated and I'm currently churning through a new map now! There are some errors, but I'm hoping I can get around those just fine.

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-12-12, 22:38

So, there is a map up now in our normal spot that was generated from data shortly after the upgrade to 1.8.1. Thing is if you click on the spawn point icon and look you will see it took over 44 hours to generate. Then add all the land expansion to that and I'm not building the map again until it's pruned.

Good news again though! Player locations are back on the map as are the beds!

Speaking of clicking on the spawn icon, 615 Sea Lanterns already? Wow.