The Movie Thread

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Movie Thread
Page 103 of 103 First Previous 99 100 101 102 [103]  Thread Tools
Ryan
Veteran Member

2023-12-19, 13:34

Marvel Drops Jonathan Majors After Assault Conviction

Uh oh. Marvel's phase 4 Big Bad just got fired.

If Disney is smart they'll just wrap up the whole dumb franchise and move on. The MCU was fun up through Endgame but now it feels like they've giving me homework if I want to keep up with it.
Frank777
Veteran Member

2023-12-19, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

If Disney is smart they'll just wrap up the whole dumb franchise and move on. The MCU was fun up through Endgame but now it feels like they've giving me homework if I want to keep up with it.
Yeah, Disney's a mess right now.

Although the handwringing over Majors is confusing to me. They recast the Hulk, and nobody cared. Chris Evans has played Captain America AND Human Torch.

There are a million horrible human beings in Hollywood. Any of them could work as the new Big Bad.
¡Damned!

2023-12-19, 13:51

Disney/Marvel definitely saw this coming - or at least were preparing for the worst - because [Loki S2 spoiler]:
Spoiler (click to toggle):
In the S2 finale, Loki's 'sacrifice' pretty much negates the multiversal Kang threat, and the TVA is seen picking off Kang variants in the timelines as if its no big deal.

A couple rewrites, introduce another Big Bad (which they were going to do anyways with F4), and The Kang Dynasty is now Strange vs. Doom: Hot Doctor on Doctor Action.

So it goes.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-19, 16:45

Actually, I have to give props to Disney for waiting for the guilty verdict. So often an accusation is made and everyone expects the accused to quit or be fired. So much for innocent until proven guilty. Disney did this right for a change.

Personally, I'm so out of touch with the Disney/Marvel world now that I'm not even sure who this actor is. I have Loki S2 on my RADAR, but still haven't watched it yet (so I didn't click the spoiler tag. Thank you.) but plan to over this Christmas break with my older kids.

They can just recast his actor and give some excuse like they did with the Matrix and the Oracle who died between films. It is all make believe and supernatural so why not?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-19, 18:01

Exactly. Crazier, more unbelievable shit takes place in these movies than a character suddenly looking different from one project to the next.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-19, 18:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Same. They said all that needed saying with their A-team, over the course of 10-11 years, wrapping it all up nicely. Now it's just all the other stuff nobody truly cares about. Anything is going to be a step down from Downey, Jackson, Johansson, etc.

"Homework" is the perfect description. None of it is really enjoyable and it always seems like you're gonna be tested on it at some random point. I've tried to pop in and follow a few things and I just can't care less. Wandavision? Loki? Captain Marvel? She-Hulk? How about nooooooo.

Fact is, after 12+ years, I'm absolutely superhero'ed out. Everyone who truly matters, or is truly interesting, their story has been told. In the case of DC, with their ongoing, multiple/revolvign Batmen, Jokers, etc. multiple times. I just can't be bothered with any of it. That Joker movie was a slog-and-a-half. Grim, morose, sad-sack, overwrought, nobody to root for, nobody to care about, etc. And now they're filming a sequel (bit shock) with, who else, but Lady Gaga?

You'd think DC/WB would go for the sure-fire get and move heaven and earth to bring Taylor Swift on board. She's even bigger, with wider, mainstream appeal, and opening weekend would be about $88 trillion, just from the 14-year-old junior high chick attendance alone. Gaga is way more my speed/tastes, but I don't represent anything they're after.

I should be careful saying that out loud, because the day Swift randomly shows up in a superhero/comic book franchise, I'm just going to shift over to Merchant-Ivory fare 24/7.

DC is finally kinda getting around to how they blew it with their whole first attempt, so things are being recast, rebooted, etc. We're about to have our fourth Superman in three decades, somebody nobody actually knows (which may work and be a good thing for the character/franchise). I just think they're trying to do it in the midst of nationwide Stage 3 superhero fatigue. It's a tall order, period. Filming starts in spring 2024 for a spring/summer 2025 release. And I'm going on record right now that nobody will give a shit.

With CG/AI and all that in the mix, the best, smartest thing DC/WB could do at this point is try to get the Christopher Reeve estate to agree to using his likeness/voice. They won't, of course, which means this particular character will always be a tough one to pull off. Boy Scout won't fly in the 2020's, but going dark, grim and morose isn't the character and that'll blow up in their face. I don't know how you do Superman these days, the way people/audiences are, etc. Glad it's not my job to try and figure that out, and blow millions of a studio's money to do so. This James Gunn guy will get his silly butt fired/tossed from it all if his Superman: Legacy doesn't hit HUGE in ~two years.

If you can't have a bonafide hit with a Superman movie, bug off and go work for the Dept. of Transportation, or Taco Bell.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2023-12-19, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
Exactly. Crazier, more unbelievable shit takes place in these movies than a character suddenly looking different from one project to the next.
¡Damned!

2023-12-19, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmith2.0 View Post
I should be careful saying that out loud, because the day Swift randomly shows up in a superhero/comic book franchise, I'm just going to shift over to Merchant-Ivory fare 24/7.
Shashi Kapoor looks forward to your company.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2023-12-21, 08:58

Bless her heart, she just doesn't get enough work/coverage/press/attention. By all means, stick her in a silly comic book movie, especially one as self-aware/meta as Deadpool, where they'll make a joke about her character dating/banging a pro football player.

Ugh.

I can't stand those Deadpool movies. I've seen both, and Ryan Reynolds, in general, kinda works my nerves (he gives Robin Williams a run in the "always on/trying too hard" department...relax, pal, you got the job. You don't have to be a 24/7 quip/slapstick machine). But he really does in this role. I'm 30 years beyond when I should've/would've found it funny/entertaining. That's just true.

And I've even lost patience with Hugh Jackman a little bit, who made such a big deal about being done with Wolverine during the press for that Logan movie. I told everyone "that's like Gene Simmons saying KISS is hanging it up...they have to say that stuff to ensure strong ticket sales, but, in 1-2 years, when another lucrative opportunity comes up to put the gear back on, they're gonna. Now he's gonna team up with(?) Deadpool in this upcoming one and be all quippy and breezy, in a way the character has never been portrayed by Jackman? That's gonna be odd.

I don't know. Why not stick Taylor Swift in there, at this point? It's just going to be a big silly bunch of noise anyway, she'll fit right in.

They all kinda deserve each other.

Being serious for four seconds, I truly do find it odd that Swift hasn't been pursued/courted harder by studios to appear in their big franchises, be it DC, Marvel, John Wick, Mission Impossible, Fast and More Furiouser, all those YA things (Maze Hunger Running Games, etc.). They have to know, whether she does a believable job or not, just her presence/participation guarantees HUGE opening weekend numbers and coverage/attention. She's so huge/popular, I can't believe she hasn't been stuck in a bunch of movies already, in her efforts to conquer/rule the entertainment universe! She must be more selective in her acting/movie pursuits/opportunities than she is about her shitty songs. I wouldn't have expected that.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2023-12-21 at 09:17.