User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

Signing into iTunes four times...when did this become a thing?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Signing into iTunes four times...when did this become a thing?
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-11-21, 10:45

I've noticed - maybe with the latest iTunes, or perhaps even Yosemite? - that any time I launch iTunes, I'm now having to enter my Apple ID password four times, in four separate, one-after-the-other log-in windows.

This was never the case before. Two of them seem to be the same, one talks about automatic downloads and I don't know what the fourth is about.

Anyone else suddenly experiencing this, or am I just special? In recent years, if I launched iTunes it was only if I went to the iTunes Store to do something that I was asked to enter my Apple ID password. Never before, until recently, have I been required to do so, just opening/launching the application. And certainly not four times.

Am I overlooking a setting that bypasses/skips all this? It's certainly not the end of the world, but, as with so many other things I'm experiencing on my iPhone and iMac lately, this is definitely not how it used to be/work. I find it hard to believe one applications requires me to enter my Apple ID password four times, each and every time it's launched. That just seems...well, like something you'd encounter on Windows XP or something.

No other application (iCloud-enabled or otherwise) does this, just iTunes. Over and over, day in/day out, without fail. And only recently, never before, in all these years.

Off-topic (click to toggle):
My Love-O-Meterâ„¢ for Apple has taken a pretty sharp plunge this autumn...they've pissed me off, confused me, exasperated me, etc. more in the past three months than the entire 20+ years I've been using their stuff, combined. It just feels like it's been one aggravating, inexplicable WTF?!-ism after another here lately. It's almost like someone in Cupertino flipped a switch in mid-late August, and just instantly made things idiotic and/or weird (where it was never idiotic/weird before). It just seems like there's a lot of around-the-bend "busy work" tossed into the mix these days; more tedious, repetitive actions or tasks to accomplish the same things that never required it before. It's almost like the system just bothers me more than it ever used to. Stuff just always popping up, wanting attention or action. That just seems so strange and unfamiliar. It's like this little pebble in my shoe, all these little things added together, you know? Just enough to slightly alter the overall experience and usage. I can't help but think that iCloud lies at the heart of much of it.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2014-11-21, 11:11

Not just you...

My Dad has been emailing me for tech support reporting the same exact same hair-pulling experience... just since upgrading to Yosemite, apparently (works on iOS devices, but for some inexplicable reason the Store repeatedly asks for password confirmation - only on the latest version of iTunes on his new MBP)

All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-11-21, 11:42

I also have this problem with iTunes, but it began before Yosemite.

I think the explanation is that if you have some media that hasn't been synched to all devices, even if you don't intend to sync it, then it somehow confuses iTunes. Or whatever, that was the best answer that I could find on the web.

It's f***ing annoying!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-11-21, 12:16

When I updated my iPhone to iOS 8.1.1 the other day (I did it old-school, via iTunes), I got a message saying "there are purchased items that haven't been transferred to iTunes. Do you want to proceed?", or words to that effect. I've been getting that message for a year now, and...no there's not. I actually have no purchased music loaded on my iPhone currently, and I only have about 6-7 third-party apps...all of which have long ago been synced/backed-up to iTunes.

But you can't argue with a dialog box.

I seem to see them more these days than ever before. I hope OS X Folsom has a STFU pane in its System Preferences...a sort of global "leave me alone and quit bothering me all day about every little thing!!" setting.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-11-21 at 12:27.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-16, 11:44

I might've fixed this issue (another day or two of regular use will confirm). But if you go to iTunes' preferences, go to the "Advanced" tab and click the "set warnings" and "reset cache" buttons...I did this yesterday, and iTunes hasn't bothered me since. Again, I'll feel better about it after a few more sessions (or even a full restart), but I've launched iTunes from scratch (which is what would always trigger the dialogs) about three separate times since yesterday, and I've not been meet with that "log in with your Apple ID..." dialog 3-4 times in a row.

Hitting those buttons might've also gotten rid of the "there are purchased items on this phone that need to be synced..." message. I'll see the next time I do a tethered update.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-12-18, 16:35

Well, it didn't stick.

Like many things Apple, here lately, there's just an unpredictable, no-rhyme-or-reason aspect to it all. Something works fine, then doesn't one day, then suddenly works differently than it used to, and then, out of the blue, not at all. Rinse and repeat.

Thanks, iOS 8 and Yosemite! You've been a ton of fun these last several months.

I sometimes wonder if Apple is secretly tapping into our FaceTime and iSight cameras, Candid Camera-style, just to have fun watching our reactions to their latest WTF?!?-isms? If so, they've got some great footage of me (and probably enjoy witnessing the creation of brand-new, ultra-"creative" swear words and gestures).
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-12-23, 04:17

For some reason this problem has now dissapeared from my iMac without me ever doing anything about it.

It was a couple of weeks ago, but I decided to wait and see if it could really be true before posting here. Maybe it was an iTunes update?