User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

The Adam - "iPad for the masses"?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Adam - "iPad for the masses"?
CFP

2010-02-15, 10:44

Has anyone heard much about this product?

Quote:
The new device, called the Adam, has been designed by Notion Ink, a start-up based in the technology hub of Hyderabad. The company was founded by three 24-year-old graduates from India’s elite technical universities who have relied on family and friends for seed funding.

Their debut product has already caused a stir in tech circles, with several industry blogs raving about the Adam's super-energy efficient components and its unique display, which can switch from a colour touch screen to a black and white “e-ink” alternative that can be read in full sunlight.

The CrunchGear website said: “It just might (sway the Apple faithful away) with the proper support.”
According to the article The Adam is expected to cost about $325, against the iPad's starting price of $499. It will be powered by Google’s Android software platform, and the manufacturer is claiming the Adam will have “days” of battery life.

Quote:
Compared with 10 hours standard battery life for the iPad, The Adam will play music for 25 days, give 16 hours internet browsing and will play high definition video for 8 hours.
And...

Quote:
It will also support Flash — the video standard most widely on the web — which the iPad does not.
I'd never heard of it until today.

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-15, 10:54

I think the iPad is the iPad for the masses.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-02-15, 10:57

CrunchGear said that? The same CrunchGear ran by TechCrunch, who was going to launch their own internet tablet for $199, but then found that the startup they were working with took over and announced they'd have to sell it for $499? I'm surprised they're so quick to believe in another startup's tablet with an incredibly ambitious price.

No offense, elite technical university graduates, but I'm sure Apple isn't exactly worried. By the way, that "unique display" is a Qi3 display sourced from Pixel Qi, it's not unique to this product. Much larger companies are able to order and use it. Much larger companies can use Android, too. Considering that the product doesn't have anything "unique" going for it, what's to keep LG or Samsung from selling the exact same product for less if it's the slightest bit successful? Have they even thought about that?

No advertising support. Still no final design (just ever-changing prototypes). Do they have anybody on their staff who knows how to actually sell a product, or are they all...elite technical university graduates? Engineers are probably the worst people to design products because they can't seem to say no. I'm not sure who the Adam will appeal to, besides other geeks. A (too ambitious) low price does not equal "for the masses."

I hope their friends and family don't want their seed money back.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong

Last edited by Robo : 2010-02-15 at 11:07.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-15, 11:01

From what I've seen, it looks like the display is fixed in landscape. Can anyone confirm this?
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2010-02-15, 11:24

"... have relied on family and friends for seed funding."

Well there's your first sign of how well it will go.

"..three 24-year-old graduates from India’s elite technical universities..."

LOL. I bet they wear Armani, and drive to "university" in the late afternoon after visting the Mall in their Dads' BMWs too.

I doubt it will make it to market outside of Asia. *If* it makes it to market, or even manufacture.

And even if it does ever see the light of day you can confidently cut all the estimates of it's capabilities in half, then take some more off. Build quality will be absolutely terrible, and it will sell in regional markets as an interesting curiosity you can pick up on holiday when in Asia.

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2010-02-15, 11:57

"Another industry blog added: “Apple may have widespread interest with its iPad, but the Notion Ink Adam has geek juices flowing.”"

Well, there's your target market: not the masses. Geeks.

So... no. Not the iPad for the masses. The iPad for the /. crowd.
CFP

2010-02-15, 12:15

On the whole, then, not the most positive reception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
Yay! No more will I worry that I am a geek, I don't want an Adam either. I'm saved!

"Ha! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear." Edmund Blackadder, circa 1766
addabox
Veteran Member

2010-02-15, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
"Another industry blog added: “Apple may have widespread interest with its iPad, but the Notion Ink Adam has geek juices flowing.”"

So... no. Not the iPad for the masses. The iPad for the /. crowd.
Wait, what? The iPad vs. flowing geek juices? (begins to stab self in face with screwdriver) No, no, I'm fine, carry on.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-02-15, 14:14

I call BS.

They might have a product, but it's probably more like the Joo Joo than the iPad. And days of battery life will be on stand-by. But hey, there's nothing like a little hype to draw in some more money for your project, especially if you manage to give it a patriotic spin.
Iago

2010-02-15, 15:50

Adam? You mean the raw form of the unstable stem cells harvested and processed from a type of Sea Slug parasite. It is believed to consist of totipotent stem cells that have the ability to differentiate into any cell type. ADAM can be genetically manipulated to produce cells that would not normally be present in the human body. It acts like a seemingly benign form of cancer, destroying native cells and replacing them with the unstable stem versions. While it is this instability that gives it its amazing properties, it is also what causes the cosmetic and mental damage. In the end the instability of the stem cells means that the user will have to take in more and more ADAM just to keep back the tide. In its raw form, ADAM is a viscous, green liquid.

I'm Joseph Fritzl, and no windows was my idea.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2010-02-15, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iago View Post
Adam? You mean the raw form of the unstable stem cells harvested and processed from a type of Sea Slug parasite. It is believed to consist of totipotent stem cells that have the ability to differentiate into any cell type. ADAM can be genetically manipulated to produce cells that would not normally be present in the human body. It acts like a seemingly benign form of cancer, destroying native cells and replacing them with the unstable stem versions. While it is this instability that gives it its amazing properties, it is also what causes the cosmetic and mental damage. In the end the instability of the stem cells means that the user will have to take in more and more ADAM just to keep back the tide. In its raw form, ADAM is a viscous, green liquid.
I was thinking Colecovision ADAM. But, uh, that too.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-15, 20:25

Quote:
Thank you, Russell T. Davies.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2010-02-16, 09:00

Quote:
I see I am not the only one returning to Rapture this week.

ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2010-02-16, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Ah, it's a game. I should've guessed.
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2010-02-16, 09:30

Will it come with a dock called Eve (or Lilith)?
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2010-02-16, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post

Ah, the joy of being a little sister!