User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

My MBP Took One for the Team...What's Your Story?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
My MBP Took One for the Team...What's Your Story?
raydanator

2009-10-19, 21:22

I'm feeling a little down, but at least I've got a story...

The other day, I was longboarding past the SUB at our college. We have beautiful full-length windows spanning the length of the building, with computers along the entire wall. There's usually plenty of people watching as they type on an essay or check Applenova. I started to pick up speed, with my Timbuk2 bag casually draped across my back, traveling faster and faster along the concrete. Suddenly, it all came to a halt. I'm not sure if it was wheel-bite or a bad carve, but I felt myself tumbling onto concrete as my bag collided with many things, including my head. I guess the silver-lining was that my runaway board caught the attention of a beautiful girl, who seemed slightly sympathetic to my dilemma. In addition, a friend asked me if I had crashed recently. Apparently word got around about "the funniest looking crash from this dude." Definitely not worth the cost though...

Today, I pulled out my 13" Aluminum MBP and noticed a whiteish hue on the left side next to the ports. My fall must have crushed/hit the side since the ethernet port looks a little bent, along with the bottom screen corner. Minor cosmetic but it feels weird that my MacBook is damaged...I might be able to bend it back but don't feel like taking the chance right now.

Anyway, just wondering how many other unfortunates have managed to dent up their 'books a bit? Should I feel like a horrible Mac user? I guess you have to make it yours somehow... so that's my story. Thanks for the input!
Dave
Ninja Editor

2009-10-20, 02:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydanator View Post
I'm feeling a little down, but at least I've got a story...

The other day, I was longboarding past the SUB at our college. We have beautiful full-length windows spanning the length of the building, with computers along the entire wall. There's usually plenty of people watching as they type on an essay or check Applenova. I started to pick up speed, with my Timbuk2 bag casually draped across my back, traveling faster and faster along the concrete. Suddenly, it all came to a halt. I'm not sure if it was wheel-bite or a bad carve, but I felt myself tumbling onto concrete as my bag collided with many things, including my head. I guess the silver-lining was that my runaway board caught the attention of a beautiful girl, who seemed slightly sympathetic to my dilemma. In addition, a friend asked me if I had crashed recently. Apparently word got around about "the funniest looking crash from this dude." Definitely not worth the cost though...

Today, I pulled out my 13" Aluminum MBP and noticed a whiteish hue on the left side next to the ports. My fall must have crushed/hit the side since the ethernet port looks a little bent, along with the bottom screen corner. Minor cosmetic but it feels weird that my MacBook is damaged...I might be able to bend it back but don't feel like taking the chance right now.

Anyway, just wondering how many other unfortunates have managed to dent up their 'books a bit? Should I feel like a horrible Mac user? I guess you have to make it yours somehow... so that's my story. Thanks for the input!
<slashdot>You.. you talked to a, um, g-girl? What was it like?</slashdot>
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2009-10-20, 02:21

Could you try posting on your school's bulletin boards or announcement boards to see if anyone incidentally caught your beef on video?
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2009-10-20, 03:29

Yeah, lets get some youtube videos of this.
raydanator

2009-10-20, 04:03

@ Dave

source "net/girl/Kconfig" error. Desperate longboarding attempts invalid.

Haha, well thanks for the posts guys. Unfortunately, look's like my college doesn't have all the sweet forums. I'll see what I can do though...
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2009-10-20, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydanator View Post
I might be able to bend it back but don't feel like taking the chance right now.

I've twice dropped and damaged (and repaired!) my 12" aluminum PowerBook. The worst and most frightful was on its front-right corner one day while packing up from work to come home. It was in a sleeve going into my bag at the time and I had no idea the damage I'd done until I unpacked it when I got home. The aluminum frame around the battery compartment was completely bent out of shape, inset at the corner by at least a full cm and protruding out at the front by the same amount.

In retrospect, I wish I'd taken pictures before I engaged in repair mode since it's such an apparently uncommon story. I immediately opened it and found that while sleeping it survived the encounter just fine. I shut it down, pulled out the battery, and went to work disassembling the entire lower chassis. Once I had the aluminum base off, I grabbed a hammer and a big pair of slip-joint pliers and manually reshaped the aluminum back into place.

The case isn't quite perfect now, suffice to say. The edges are flat, but the corner is a little warped and there are scuffs in the metal where I clamped it with the pliers, but the machine is still fully functional.

So, unless you're weak of heart when it comes to dismantling a loved one notebook computer, I'd say tear it apart and fix it like I did.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
raydanator

2009-10-20, 17:29

Wow this is crazy! thanks for the advice Brad. I got to googling, and found this link:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0

Apparently someone picked up their AlumMBP and it bent. So just now, I've been pushing and working this thing, and it is now basically healed. You'd almost never see it except for a slight stress mark directly above the column between ethernet and firewire. Crazy! I'm not so sure it was my longboarding that I have to blame about this, but either way--moral of the story I guess, don't pick up the MBP's on the left side

Over and out!
artesc

2009-10-25, 23:05

My story is pretty similar to yours.

I was riding my bike a while back when a taxi swerved in front of me; I lost control of the bike and flipped over the handlebars. Just my luck that my gf's macbook was in my bag (also Timbuk2).

I was pretty bruised up/bleeding and a small crowd had gathered. An old lady gave me a mint then I got back on my bike and was on my way.

It wasn't until later that night that I realized the screen had shattered in the macbook.

Long story short, I fixed it myself. This is the only pic I have.

The disk drive and ethernet port both broke too but I didn't want to shell out any money on fixing them since I never used them...so, I had myself a makeshift macbook air once all was said and done.

artesc all the way!
NosferaDrew
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to NosferaDrew Send a message via AIM to NosferaDrew Send a message via Skype™ to NosferaDrew 
2009-10-26, 23:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
So, unless you're weak of heart when it comes to dismantling a loved one notebook computer, I'd say tear it apart and fix it like I did.
I tried that years ago when I dropped my 12" PowerBook and killed the hard drive.
Took it apart, replaced the HD, but it wouldn't boot up. Tried to disassemble it again and stripped a screw. Gave up and bought a iBook.
It's still in pieces on a shelf!

This is my first generation MBP.
I was holding it with one hand and unzipping the zipper with the other when it slipped right out of the sleeve and fell to the floor.
It hit the corner and I actually caught it on the bounce.

I instantly thought, "Oh well, time to buy a new one", but it functions perfectly - except for the SuperDrive being blocked by some bent metal.

When the i7 MBP's come out I'll be upgrading and this machine will be my kitchen computer.