Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

IM-ing over a network

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
IM-ing over a network
goodonpaper

Send a message via MSN to goodonpaper Send a message via Skype™ to goodonpaper 
2007-04-09, 14:40

I'm almost sure I've seen this done before - I want to be able to 'message' a machine on my wireless network - I have the local I.P, but I'm almost sure I've seen a Terminal command for this - no?

Basically I don't want to be running a client (I'm aware any Bonjour client would do what I'm asking for) - any ideas?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-09, 14:44

'man write'; 'man talk'
cosus
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to cosus Send a message via AIM to cosus Send a message via MSN to cosus Send a message via Yahoo to cosus Send a message via Skype™ to cosus 
2007-04-09, 14:55

I think he has a point, wrap a note around a rock, yell "heads up," and throw rock at person.
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-09, 15:05

I think he has a point, type man write or man talk in the Terminal.
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-04-09, 15:14

We have a winner. I was indeed serious; a typical Unix ships with the commands 'write' and the slightly more sophisticated 'talk'. You can use them to send messages between users. It's not quite your fancy encrypted compressed peer-to-peer instant messenger with file transfer, voice and video and built-in multiplayer games, but it does work, and efficiently so.
goodonpaper

2007-04-09, 15:15

"man talk" brings up the BSD General Commands Manual for the instruction, which is fair enough - nothing about i.p direct conversation, though ...

On entering "talk 192.168.1.3" however, I am presented with a window which runs through line after line of "[Checking for invitation on caller's machine]", and doesnt appear to be connecting. Any ideas?
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2007-04-09, 15:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodonpaper View Post
"man talk" brings up the BSD General Commands Manual for the instruction, which is fair enough - nothing about i.p direct conversation, though ...

On entering "talk 192.168.1.3" however, I am presented with a window which runs through line after line of "[Checking for invitation on caller's machine]", and doesnt appear to be connecting. Any ideas?
Do you not need to specify the username? user@host?
goodonpaper

2007-04-09, 15:41

Deep-Thought:~ Andy$ talk Emma@Zarathustra
talk: Zarathustra: Unknown host

Excuse my cluelessness - is there no way to do it via I.P?
goodonpaper

2007-04-10, 09:57

Any ideas?
rasmits
rams it

2007-04-10, 12:15

How about voice chat? You can SSH to the other computer and type, "say <whatever you want>". It's pretty awesome.

"say Hello mother. Tomorrow you will DIE!"

Yeah, we have fun...

You had me at asl
dfiler
Veteran Member

2007-04-10, 14:53

Ah... the fun that can be had with the say command.

I blew my father's mind when he was visiting me a couple summers ago. He was on my home computer while I was at work and we needed to coordinate the evening's outings.

So I ssh'd into the machine and had it say things to him. I'd also set up evocam so that I could see when he sat down to use the computer.

iSight? perpetually, $150. Look on father's face, priceless.
chucker

2007-04-10, 15:01

The 'talk' that ships with OS X actually seems to be broken. The 'ntalkd' is turned off by default, and is intended to be run via 'tcpd', which isn't even linked correctly… and if run directly, it doesn't register a socket.

I failed to get it to work.
goodonpaper

2007-04-10, 17:20

Okay - I'm still having no luck with this at all.

I am user "Andy" on my local machine, "Deep Thought" - and I am trying to connect to "Emma" on her machine "Zarathustra". Using "Connect to Server" and typing "afp://192.168.1.3" allows me to mount her drives, so theres a connection somewhere, but I don't seem to be able to get anywhere with the Terminal commands.
rasmits
rams it

2007-04-10, 19:22

You have to enable SSH under the sharing preferences on the computer you want to connect to. It will tell you what to enter into Terminal to connect, then you'll be able to control the computer using a command line as if you were sitting in front of it.

Is that what you mean?

You had me at asl
goodonpaper

2007-04-11, 16:36

Got it, thanks!
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2007-04-12, 15:16

http://www.freemacware.com/remote-say/