User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Will the Nintendo DS fail? I think it will.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Will the Nintendo DS fail? I think it will.
Page 3 of 10 Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  Next Last Thread Tools
usurp
High Monarch of MacDebate

2004-11-24, 00:28

the philips one is the CDi which although had a crappy zelda game, it had a very decent tennis one.

this is a pic of my 3DO with my dreamcast. The 3DO came out way earlier then the PS2, it actually came out before the PlayStation 1. It had cool games like Need For Speed 1, Road Rash and Night Trap.

note: my 3DO is the second release. the original release was heavier and had a front loading cd tray. There was also a Goldstar and I think a Hitatchi 3DO. Mine was a Panasonic.

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
scratt
Veteran Member

Send a message via Skype™ to scratt 
2004-11-24, 00:33

That was it.... Road Rash!! Ace game!
Yeah.. like I said I bought mine in Akihabara (Electronics district in Tokyo) back in 1992 or 3 or seomthing like that! I only had Road Rash for it 'cos I had seen that in the store being demoed and bought it simply for that game 'cos I thought it was brilliant!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Extreme Sports Cafe | ESC's blog | scratt's blog | @thescratt
usurp

2004-11-24, 04:47

yes it was and still is BRILLIANT

games were so simple back then. i do like 3D games ofcourse like every other guy but i find 2D games a lot easier to comprehend. Metroid Prime on the GameCube is gorgeous but Super Metroid on the SNES is wayyyyyyyyyyy more cooler!!

portable: MacBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD | personal: PowerMac G5 dual 2.3ghz, 6GB RAM, 6TB HD | work: MacBook Pro 2.5ghz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD | car: Alpine iDA-W407 with black iPod 80GB | pocket: iPhone 3GS with Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro's
Koodari
Veteran Member

2004-11-24, 10:16

First off, I remind my post was personal opinion only and labeled as such. I was telling why PS2 is the overwhelmingly better console for me. (It is.) You're treating my post like I was trying to start a general console war. I'm not interested in crap like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usurp
come on dude u cant be serious. if you are into fighting games then what other better system to have then an xbox.

Does PS2 have SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos? NO
I haven't played that and haven't really played the Capcom fighters after SF2, so can't comment about them. I intend to check them out at some point, but GG first.

My viewpoint: does XBox have VF? No. Case closed.
(I'm interested BTW - have you played a recent VF as in VF4 or Evo?)
Quote:
that would be enough to end the argument on which system has better fighting games but i will continue a bit more just for the entertainment.

We have Dead or Alive, we have Guilty Gear X2 #Reload, we have the best version of Soul Caliber 2 and if you have a modded xbox then you can get tons of NeoGeo fighting games and all the Capcom Street fighting games for the xbox.
DoA I tried and it's crap compared to both VF and SC. It's just not very deep. There's a reason why DoA doesn't get played in serious tournaments.
GGX2#R is out for the PS2 as well.. in Japan. I understand the difference between X2 and X2#R isn't that big? Then there is the PS2 only GG Isuka, which has gotten mixed reviews.
I thought the PS2 version of SC2 best, because Heihachi felt like more fun to play than Spawn and Link. That said, I didn't see any real difference between SC2 on PS2, XBox and GC. There's some comparison screenshots on the Web that I couldn't tell apart from each other, but a quick google didn't turn them up so no link unfortunately.
Quote:
is Doom 3 coming out on the ps2 by any chance? NO
Would I ever buy a game like Doom3 on a console, any console? NO.
Quote:
anyway, i am not biased towards the PS2 because I have an XBOX. I have all the major systems that were released since 1980s till now including the PS2 and the GameCube. I just buy systems to play certain games. Got the GameCube for Metroid Prime. Got the GBA for Metroid also (which btw i prefer over the gamecubes version). I got the PS2 for GranTurismo and Metal Gear.
Owning more than one console doesn't make a person unbiased. Not to say you are. As I said in the last post, we play different games, it's hard to compare them. Your way to buy consoles is the only one that makes sense - game first, console accordingly. I'm very game mechanics and storyline centered guy, I don't care much about graphics as long as the mechanics and/or the story in general is good. Even when comparing visual quality, how do you compare something like SC and VF directly, when the visual concepts are totally different? One is full of 'eye candy', flashes and effects, more canned animation and camera movement, and has more detailed background scenes (also due to game mechanics). One usually looks worse in screenshots, but the animation and motion capture quality is superior and there is a subtle fluidness in the animation once the player is good enough.

While surfing the web and writing this, it occurred to me there is one game on XBox I'd like to try, Ninja Gaiden.
DMBand0026
Veteran Member

2004-11-24, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratt
That was it.... Road Rash!! Ace game!
Yeah.. like I said I bought mine in Akihabara (Electronics district in Tokyo) back in 1992 or 3 or seomthing like that! I only had Road Rash for it 'cos I had seen that in the store being demoed and bought it simply for that game 'cos I thought it was brilliant!!
I used to play road rash at my friend's house for hours at a time on his Sega. I loved that game, I just couldn't get enough.
Mass Appeal

2004-11-24, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodari
My viewpoint: does XBox have VF? No. Case closed.

DoA I tried and it's crap compared to both VF and SC. It's just not very deep. There's a reason why DoA doesn't get played in serious tournaments.

While surfing the web and writing this, it occurred to me there is one game on XBox I'd like to try, Ninja Gaiden.
I'm an X-Box owner and I would say VF is the one game that would make me buy a PS2.

DoA is a VERY deep fighter. A nobbie could pick it up play and have fun but an experienced player would wipe the floor with them. I would say it's almost VF's equal. Besides, Soul Blade and it's sequels are up there with both those titles and the best version is on X-Box.

BTW, Ninja Gaiden is the fucking shit.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2004-11-24, 12:11

more importantly, the 3DO had Star Control with real voiceovers! best sci-fi game ever.

i actually bought a 3DO off e-bay just so i could play that game. about 7 months later an open source project released a cross-platform rerelease of the game.

oh well.

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
usurp

2004-11-24, 13:19

koodari ofcourse i was trying to start a console war!

there is something i am confused about though. back in the 90s they made some really cool looking games where they digitized people and put them in the game like mortal kombat, need for speed and road rash. now a days they have all gone 3d polygon bullshit. my question is why hasnt anyone tried to bring back to life the digitizing style of games. i am sure they could do some really cool shit with 2d games that have digitized people. like mortal kombat should always have stayed 2d like street fighter did. and where is road rash for the xbox or ps2???

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-24, 15:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene
I didn't touch the N64 with a ten-foot pole. It didn't appeal to me at all. There are diehard N64 fans out there, I know, but I think the majority of Nintendo fans would agree it was a flop.
Yeah, I think you missed the point of my post. The point was that out of the gate, the N64 had everything going for it, and the Playstation had nothing by comparison. By the end, the Playstation dominated the market and the N64 didn't. Hence my comment about graphics not being everything in a game system. That's why the DS has a good chance of coming out on top IMO, because graphics aren't everything. I think the Xbox has proven that yet again, have you noticed how much more popular the PS2 is than the Xbox, despite the Xbox having better graphics and better online capability?

As far as my personal thoughts on the N64, I loved it. Zelda: The Ocarina of Time is quite possibly one of my favorite games ever, and it was not available on the PSX. Then there was Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and dozens of other excellent titles. Conker's Bad Fur Day, anybody? If you really hated the N64 then you missed out on these games, which is honestly just a shame.
Barto
Student extraordinaire

2004-11-24, 17:15

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nintendo-ds.ars

Ars Technica give the DS a thumbs up.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-11-24, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaqtly
Yeah, I think you missed the point of my post. The point was that out of the gate, the N64 had everything going for it, and the Playstation had nothing by comparison. By the end, the Playstation dominated the market and the N64 didn't. Hence my comment about graphics not being everything in a game system. That's why the DS has a good chance of coming out on top IMO, because graphics aren't everything. I think the Xbox has proven that yet again, have you noticed how much more popular the PS2 is than the Xbox, despite the Xbox having better graphics and better online capability?

... [snip] ...
anyone remember the 80s? - Intellivision v Atari
Akumulator

2004-11-24, 18:36

So how soon after Christmas do you think the DS will be back in stock in stores? I hate all the bastards who buy up the hot items for Christmas and then jack the price way up.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-24, 20:24

Quote:
Yeah, I think you missed the point of my post. The point was that out of the gate, the N64 had everything going for it, and the Playstation had nothing by comparison. By the end, the Playstation dominated the market and the N64 didn't.
You seem to remember history a little differently than I do. PlayStation and Saturn came out in Japan in 1994, one year before the N64. By the time the Saturn was released to the US in May 1995 (via Toys R Us and other select stores only), Sega was already licking its wounds. At this time, the N64 was still not available in Japan or anywhere. Sony had already decisively beaten one video game giant, so Nintendo knew what was in for them.

Quote:
As far as my personal thoughts on the N64, I loved it.
Of course, that's why your personal view on its pre-history is rosy while reality was different from the get-go.

Last edited by Eugene : 2004-11-24 at 20:32.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-24, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
anyone remember the 80s? - Intellivision v Atari
Xaqtly has enough trouble remembering the 90s.

Should be Atari vs. Intellivision vs. Colecovision anyway. I'm pretty sure my Intellivision is still functional but I haven't actually played it since the early 90s. I was still using it regularly side-by-side with my SNES at one point...
usurp

2004-11-25, 01:23

Mac+ i skipped both the intelivision and the atari and got the colleco which was much cooler! Man i am talking about early 80s and the colleco had a steering wheel with gas pedal so you could play TURBO!! imagine how cool that was back then!

scratt
Veteran Member

2004-11-25, 01:29

The best game ever in my opinion... slightly off topic.. but hey it's me!!

Was Stargate.. the follow on to Defender, from Williams.

Where is the vid-kid now!??!?

I used to have one of the cabinets in my condo..
It got swiped in a relationship break up years ago...

When I found out how much original cabinets are going for now I was bummed... I paid about $100 for each of them from an arcade that was closing down!!!

'Remember, measure life by the moments that take your breath away, not by how many breaths you take'
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-25, 13:14

Quote:
You seem to remember history a little differently than I do. PlayStation and Saturn came out in Japan in 1994, one year before the N64.
Interesting factoid - I don't live in Japan. I actually live in the US, and when the Playstation came out here, it had nothing going for it. No system selling blockbuster games, no market share, no nothing. By comparison, the N64 had everything going for it when it came out - massive anticipation, the Nintendo brand name, a Mario game right off the bat which is a guaranteed system seller, better graphics and a history of owning the console market.

Despite all that, the Playstation won out in the end, taking over a huge portion of the market. Again, that was my point. Just because a system has better graphics doesn't mean it's going to come out on top. The Xbox is another good example of that.

Also, I should probably mention that I had a PSX and I loved it too. See, I'm not as platform biased as *ahem* some people seem to be. I liked all the consoles, and I have all the current ones too. You don't see me saying "I wouldn't touch x console with a ten foot pole" now do you?

Quote:
Of course, that's why your personal view on its pre-history is rosy while reality was different from the get-go.
You mean in Japan? I don't live there, remember?

Quote:
Xaqtly has enough trouble remembering the 90s.
Excuse me? Are we making personal attacks now?
scratt
Veteran Member

2004-11-25, 15:46

It'a worth noting that Sony have been very unlucky (or stupid) with technology in the past. Betamax video tapes spring to mind. Infinitely better than VHS but nonetheless VHS was adopted. Yuck!

It was so pleasing to see them win out finally, fairly and squarely with a superior product... Nintendo has systematically waited until their competition have launched their product and them pipped them with something... It's a quite boring, but clever tactic.

Having lived in Japan and been in the games industry there and watched Nintendo cynically hold back things like the colour Gameboy for years because the Black and White was still selling, only releasing technology when they have squeezed the market for every penny they can grab with old product, it was refreshing to see Sony better them.

Sony, whilst still a huge conglomerate only interested in money at the end of the day, do seem to have some kind of interest in the quality of their kit and the satisfaction of their cutsomers. Nintendo are a cynical, money grabbing corporation and personally I loathe the whole Mario frachies... always have... :smokey:

rampancy

2004-11-25, 22:54

All of this nostalgia reminded me of this; it's a mini self-contained Genesis with five games built in. Runs on batteries, with Sonic (the original, I presume), Altered Beast, Vectorman, Phantasy Star, and Golden Axe. I guess console gaming nostalgia's coming back in a big way. Don't know if I'd pay $40 for it, though.

"The things that will destroy us are: politics without principle; pleasure without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character business without morality; science without humanity; and worship without sacrifice."
- Mahatma Gandhi
Akumulator

2004-11-25, 23:31

Yeah, those mini Genesis are cool. I have the Ms. Pacman one and the Atari one.
Eugene
careful with axes

2004-11-26, 10:46

Quote:
Interesting factoid - I don't live in Japan. I actually live in the US, and when the Playstation came out here, it had nothing going for it. No system selling blockbuster games, no market share, no nothing. By comparison, the N64 had everything going for it when it came out - massive anticipation, the Nintendo brand name, a Mario game right off the bat which is a guaranteed system seller, better graphics and a history of owning the console market.
It doesn't matter if you live in Japan or not. The US release schedule was in the same order. We got the N64 nearly a full year after PlayStation. Mario is a side-scroller. Mario 64 is an abomination. Of course you'd like it. You have bad taste.

Besides, the PlayStation had tons of games. Uh, Tekken was available right away. Wipeout anybody? And of course EA was on-board from the beginning. So I again assert that you have a fuzzy recollection of the short-lived Saturn/PS/N64 war^H^H^Hass-kicking.

Quote:
Despite all that, the Playstation won out in the end, taking over a huge portion of the market. Again, that was my point. Just because a system has better graphics doesn't mean it's going to come out on top. The Xbox is another good example of that.
Despite what? The PlayStation was declared the winner before N64 was even released...anywhere. As for the graphics argument, when the difference is as astounding as DS vs PSP, people will take notice. Nintendo pulled a "Saturn" by pushing up the release dat to get the jump on the PSP. I don't think it'll fall quite that hard, but the PSP is coming, and it's going teach Nintendo a lesson.

Quote:
Also, I should probably mention that I had a PSX and I loved it too. See, I'm not as platform biased as *ahem* some people seem to be. I liked all the consoles, and I have all the current ones too. You don't see me saying "I wouldn't touch x console with a ten foot pole" now do you?
You're calling me platform biased (against Nintendo)? Are you that thick? From what's been said, usurp and I are probably bigger Nintendo fans than the rest of you combined. I wouldn't touch the N64 because I thought it a pretty crappy product, not because I'm predisposed to hate the the Big N. Trust me, I've tried for a very long time to continue loving Nintendo, but they are making it very hard.

Quote:
You mean in Japan? I don't live there, remember?
Irrelevant.

Quote:
Excuse me? Are we making personal attacks now?
I'm pointing out the fact that you have no idea how the PlayStation vs Saturn vs N64 saga unfolded. Let me ask you this...How did the PlayStation kill the Saturn so swiftly if it was off to as slow a start as you surmise?
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 12:41

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you live in Japan or not. The US release schedule was in the same order. We got the N64 nearly a full year after PlayStation. Mario is a side-scroller. Mario 64 is an abomination. Of course you'd like it. You have bad taste.
Um... ok. Objectivity isn't one of your strong suits, is it? Also, you're not really paying attention to what I'm saying. I'm saying that the N64 was in a better position than the PSX was when it came out. And it was. Your apparent bias against Mario 64 notwithstanding, that game was a system seller. You don't have to like it for it to still be a fact you know.

Quote:
Besides, the PlayStation had tons of games. Uh, Tekken was available right away. Wipeout anybody? And of course EA was on-board from the beginning. So I again assert that you have a fuzzy recollection of the short-lived Saturn/PS/N64 war^H^H^Hass-kicking.
Actually, I didn't say anything about Saturn. You did. My point was that the N64 was positioned better than the PSX was when it hit the scene. Better graphics, better market share, better launch titles (whether you liked Mario 64 or not is irrelevant), and an actual history in the console market. It really has nothing to do with the Saturn.

Quote:
Despite what? The PlayStation was declared the winner before N64 was even released...anywhere.
According to who? You? The hundreds of thousands of people who bought N64s when it was released would seem to disagree with you.

Quote:
the PSP is coming, and it's going teach Nintendo a lesson.
Oh no, you're not biased at all. Once again, graphics are not what determine the success of a given game system. That has been proven over and over and over and over again. If you choose to disregard the overwhelming evidence to support that, then that's really your problem.

Quote:
You're calling me platform biased (against Nintendo)? Are you that thick?
Ah yes, resorting to name calling when you can't win an argument. Classic. You did say something about the N64 and a ten foot pole, care to refresh my memory on that? And while you're at it, explain how that comment makes you "not biased".

Quote:
From what's been said, usurp and I are probably bigger Nintendo fans than the rest of you combined.
Oh yes, that's quite obvious based on your feelings about the N64. Like yourselves, most true Nintendo fans actually prefer to shit on N64 consoles rather than play games on them. You know, because that's what REAL Nintendo fans do.

Quote:
I wouldn't touch the N64 because I thought it a pretty crappy product, not because I'm predisposed to hate the the Big N. Trust me, I've tried for a very long time to continue loving Nintendo, but they are making it very hard.
Yes, which clearly makes you the biggest Nintendo fan ever. Obviously I was wrong to ever assume that you were anything but the biggest Nintendo fan this world has ever seen, despite your total willingness to use the N64 as toilet paper. How could I have been so blind?

Quote:
I'm pointing out the fact that you have no idea how the PlayStation vs Saturn vs N64 saga unfolded. Let me ask you this...How did the PlayStation kill the Saturn so swiftly if it was off to as slow a start as you surmise?
Oh, I have a better idea. How about I ask you what that has to do with my original premise that the N64 had more going for it than the PSX did at launch, and that graphics do not make the system? Or hey, we could just keep going off on unrelated tangents, that works too.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-11-26, 12:52

I think this is the first heated argument I've ever sat in on... about 10 year old video game systems. Interesting.

Nevermind me, I'm just sitting here checking out my old disc camera, thinking about the massive handheld Baseball controller I have with my Coleco at home, and considering hooking the old Genesis up for a game of NHL '94. Or '96. Or maybe '97. I guess I should say thanks for the trip down memory lane.

*ahem*

Anyway, you guys continue. I think this is where Eugene comes in and says he doesn't have to love every fucking product Nintendo spews out to be a big fan of them, ie- N64.

Continue!

Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 13:03

No, not just a big fan - a bigger fan than all of us combined. I guess because hating the N64 is what makes you the world's biggest Nintendo fan. If only I had known! No wonder I'm not worthy.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-11-26, 13:10

Uh, no, I think you're missing the point. Do you have to love every product a company puts out to be a huge fan of that company?

Hell no.

I love Apple for instance, but they have shit out some bad products along the way. Doesn't make me less of a "fan" of them to say that.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 14:17

Sarcasm, dude. He said he's a bigger Nintendo fan than all of us combined. I was having fun with that. But fine, go ahead and rain on my sarcasm parade. I'll just wait for Eugene to give me even more reasons why he's Nintendo's biggest fan.
murbot
Hoonigan

2004-11-26, 14:31

Oh, I got the sarcasm just fine, but I think the point still holds.

Anyway.

It would be really embarrassing to me to get into a Nintendo argument. I'm just going to slip out the back door and not come back in. I'm not taking sides. You guys can continue, pretend I was never here.

Akumulator

2004-11-26, 14:48

Fuck all this Nintendo vs. PS crap. This new pong table is where it's at.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-26, 14:55

Okay, but just remember - You're not a real Nintendo fan, and neither am I. Only Eugene is, because he's a bigger Nintendo fan than all of us combined. Hell, I think I'll stop liking Nintendo right now, because there's obviously no point. Maybe I'll work on becoming the world's biggest PS2 fan instead, because I really like my PS2.
rasmits
rams it

2004-11-26, 15:34

I've used Nintendo my whole life, I would accept nothing else. I want Microsoft to just stay out of the console market, I don't care how good the xbox is, I'd never buy one. It's a PC without a monitor.

The graphics look really good on the PSP, and it's tempting for me to wait, but maybe I'll just get both. If I had to choose, I'd choose the DS. Maybe I do have a thing for Nintendo, but I like the games the best. Super Mario, Mario Kart, etc... that's all I need.

edit: I did some research, and the DS already has a TV tuner in production, but the PSP is supposed to play movies. Graphically, the PSP is way ahead of the DS... GTA3 on the PSP and I'm sold.

Last edited by rasmits : 2004-11-26 at 15:45.