User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Samba File Server setup for CentOS based offsite server needed.

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Samba File Server setup for CentOS based offsite server needed.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-03-01, 17:16

I'm trying to get a cloud storage set up going with my web server that's running CentOS and Plesk 9.0.1. There is a File Server Module on Plesk but I can't seem to get it working as I would like. Sure it might be due to my lack of knowledge, but I need to either get it working or get another solution.

Here's what I need: A space in the could that my mom can seamlessly connect to using her Mac via Finder and mainly WinXP (through Parallels). In doing this my brother will also need access to this same file area so he can manage the files via his PC.

My mom isn't doing her books anymore and my brother has taken on the task. My mom uses Quicken (09 I think) and so does my brother. The idea is that when my mom opens up Parallels to enter her checkbook data that it's connecting to the cloud server. My brother can also access the same file so he can make the real changes and updates. My mom is really only going to be looking for reference and oversight while my brother does the actual work.

Now, I can do this through my actual web server or my local server here at the house that's running SME which is CentOS based too. Any ideas on how to make this work for us? If not, do you know of a solution that fits my needs?

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Gargoyle
http://ga.rgoyle.com

2009-03-01, 18:40

Getdropbox.com

Edit: actually, make that https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTMwNTEzOQ and I get some extra space.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-03-04, 13:04

Any other options the doesn't put my data on someone else's server? If I do use Dropbox I'll be sure to use your link though Gargoyle.
Taskiss
Veteran Member

2009-03-04, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
I'm trying to get a cloud storage set up going with my web server that's running CentOS and Plesk 9.0.1. There is a File Server Module on Plesk but I can't seem to get it working as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "What’s New in Plesk 7.5"
File Server Module* – The File Server module enables Plesk administrators to share directories on a network directly from the control panel. Using Plesk File Server, you can share access to a directory on your server, grant access to this directory to specific users and assign read-only or write permissions for this directory. File Server uses the Microsoft SMB (Server Message Block) protocol to share resources on a Samba server for network users. For the Plesk File Server, the Samba server (version 2.2.x or 3.x) must be installed and properly configured.
So, you need a later version of Samba and it needs to be configured already.

Here's the RHEL doc. (CentOS is a RHEL clone). I've not had problems following the directions, but if you run into any issues, holler.

http://wideopen.com/docs/manuals/ent...nfiguring.html

real hackers don't use sigs
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2009-03-05, 00:49

Thanks. I'll give that a shot and see if I can make it happen.