The Beer Thread™
Page 4 of 9 Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  Next Last Thread Tools
thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2007-08-16, 16:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
*sigh*

I'm gonna have to escalate this up to my manager. Maybe my boss can call your boss, do lunch, get together...

No, wait, that's a VERY BAD IDEA(tm).
The last time they tried that. All hell broke loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
I meant theoldguy's boss.
The old guy. *THE OLD GUY* Indeed.
Foj
Veteran Member

2007-08-29, 18:14

A nice song about beer.
¡Damned!

2008-08-30, 21:18

*BURMP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
I'm drinking one of my faves right now:

Two Hearted Ale, how I love thee.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2008-10-05, 10:47

Quote:
*BURMP*

Two Hearted Ale, how I love thee.
Bump. I actually came into this thread to see if anyone discussed Two Hearted Ale. Because I just tried some a couple nights ago and I think it was probably the worst beer I'd ever had in my life. It was basically like drinking pine sap.

Of course, I just saw that it was on tap where I was and I thought "what the hell, why not try it out." Last time I ever experiment blindly.

But hey, maybe some of you beer tasters can help me out. So basically, I hate IPAs, and most other beers that are exceptionally bitter, tangy, or sharp. I don't know all the terminology, and I don't understand the flavors that beer gurus use. They name them after various other foods but they have nothing to do with those foods. I mean, a bunch of reviews said Two Hearted Ale was "sugary," and that couldn't be further from the truth - maybe a sweet cider, but a harsh, pine-tasting IPA? Sugary? WTF?

Anyway, I tend to like beers that are really bready, yeasty, or nutty. Not bitter though. Just smooth and full-bodied. It's not something I run into often. I think my favorites have to be Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Moose Drool. They both fit those descriptions well. Anything else in that vein? I want to avoid another experience like I had the other night.
Edna Crabtree

2008-10-05, 11:05

What I'm drinking right now : Paulaner Oktoberfest-Marzen.

It's the right beer for the season here in MN. Cool, overcast, spitting rain and 50's today. Football on the tube, politics in the air and my mutt out on the three season porch barking at the squirrels.

Oktoberfest beers usually disappoint (I'm looking at you Sam Adams and Summit). The best I've ever had was brewed at the Wynkoop in Denver.
¡Damned!

2008-10-06, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
But hey, maybe some of you beer tasters can help me out. So basically, I hate IPAs, and most other beers that are exceptionally bitter, tangy, or sharp.
Then don't order one at a bar!

Seriously, Two Hearted IPA is on the lower end of the bitter scale, and is sweeter than almost all other IPAs (though, most of Larry's beers are on the sweet side, IMO). Pick up a Bell's Hopslam, Stone Ruination or a Dogfish Head 90 Minute if you want to taste the difference between a sweet, malty Two Hearted and an IPA that is actually made with bitterness in mind.

Considering the example beers that you like, I'd recommend trying a Bell's Best Brown Ale (it's just come into season right now) and New Glarus' Fat Squirrel. I wish I knew more about MN micro-brews, because there has to be some local flavors you'd like.

So it goes.
Axl

2008-10-10, 18:03

Where's Canada?

Even more comparisons here. Hic!
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-10-10, 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl View Post
Where's Canada?
Perhaps in the segment labelled 'rest of the world'?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-10-10, 19:05

This image gives me cognitive dissonance. On left, it says China is #1, while on right, US gets the center spotlight.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-10-10, 19:39

Wow! The coutries with the biggest populations drink the most beer? Who'd have thought?
tomoe
Veteran Member

2008-10-10, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Wow! The coutries with the biggest populations drink the most beer? Who'd have thought?
India? Indonesia?
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2008-10-10, 23:26

Edna-

Paulnser was indeed good.

You may also like this:

I found it very mellow and tasty.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-11-18, 18:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer View Post
Here's one that you have to try to believe. Had it once, and that was enough! Major bitter bear face!

Arrogant Bastard "Beer Goggles" FTW...

¡Damned!

2008-11-18, 18:38

Wait, what? Did you make those yourself?

Regardless, AWESOME DIY.
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2008-11-18, 18:48

Quote:
Wait, what? Did you make those yourself?

Regardless, AWESOME DIY.
Someone posted those photos to the Radiators email list, and I immediately remembered this thread.

Apparently they were custom-made by these folks.... probably pretty pricey.
http://www.urbanspectacles.com/
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-11-18, 18:48

Just as a *SLIGHT* correction, because those are just so damned awesome...

The skeleton logo on the sides of the lens pieces is from Rogue's Dead Guy Ale, another gut buster speciality from Rogue Brewing. Love it, I does.
¡Damned!

2008-11-18, 19:31

Of course. I knew that inherently, but it's indeed worth pointing out.

*++sparkles* ::: Kick.
Kraetos
Lovable Bastard

2009-02-21, 13:07

Bumped because I'm 21 and I want suggestions.

Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-02-21, 13:19

And the answer is...

Beer.

It's always beer.

Go forth and beerinate.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-02-21, 13:21

If you can find it, Arrogant Bastard Ale is a great way to spoil your tastebud and properly teach you what a real beer should taste.

Else you'll end up like Homer.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-02-21, 13:23

If you truly want to spoil your taste buds, get Delerium Tremens or Ruination Ale (note: these are not for the faint of palate).
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-02-21, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
If you can find it, Arrogant Bastard Ale is a great way to spoil your tastebud and properly teach you what a real beer should taste.

Else you'll end up like Homer.
Three thumbs up for Arrogant Bastard Ale. I also recommend Dead Guy Ale, if you're in the mood to have your colon cleansed. Ruination IPA is just heavenly if you are a hophead.

(I got a magnum of ABA once as a gift. It *almost* lasted the weekend.)
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-02-22, 02:50

I don't know about the comment about what "real beer" tastes like.

Guinness? Not very tasty at all.
Belgian beers? Very subtle, almost watery.
German? Sure Germany loves its hops, but you also have straight up bocks for getting you drunk...no hops here.

I mean, I love IPAs, I love Stone Brewery, but there definitely seems to be a lot of bandwagoning on the hophead side of things.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 11:27

My summer libation of choice thus far has been Sierra Nevada's Torpedo Extra IPA. It is, how to say, delicious!
!Marc!

2009-06-19, 12:27

A beer thread! I was just thinking about making one - because I fell in love with these two

Ive made a habit over the last couple of months to try out all the speciality beers I can find, these two are on the keeps list.

Edit: make that these three

Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-06-19, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I don't know about the comment about what "real beer" tastes like.

Guinness? Not very tasty at all.
Belgian beers? Very subtle, almost watery.
German? Sure Germany loves its hops, but you also have straight up bocks for getting you drunk...no hops here.

I mean, I love IPAs, I love Stone Brewery, but there definitely seems to be a lot of bandwagoning on the hophead side of things.
Agreed. Go on BeerAdvocate or any other beer review site and you'll basically see a direct correlation between the amount of hops and the overall score. The more hops, the higher the score. For many beer tasters, that's all that is important.

In a way, it actually helps you judge what a beer will be like based on its score. If you see a beer with an overall score of A or A- on BA, you can pretty much be guaranteed that it's absolutely loaded with hops. A B+ or B might indicate more of a stout, but it still has to be hoppy. It's around B- or C/C+ that they get to beers that I like - full-bodied, but without too many hops or too much bitterness. Below that you start getting into flavored beers and macros.

One of my favorites is Finnegans Irish Ale. It's a non-profit brewery in Minnesota. Finnegans is brewed with potatoes. I quite like it. Again, thick but not very hoppy or bitter, which is what I like. It has a C+ on BA because it's not overloaded with hops.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-06-19, 13:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Marc! View Post
A beer thread! I was just thinking about making one - because I fell in love with these two

Ive made a habit over the last couple of months to try out all the speciality beers I can find, these two are on the keeps list.

Edit: make that these three
If you like those three, you MUST go out and get some Wadworth 6X. It'll change your life.
!Marc!

2009-06-19, 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
If you like those three, you MUST go out and get some Wadworth 6X. It'll change your life.
I will give it a try on your recommendation, incidently allthough Ive never had it, it is one of my local breweries, I had to pass through the town of Devizes to get to work a long time ago, and Wadworths brewery used to deliver their beer by traditional shirehorse to the local bars and pubs - which made me late on more than one occasion, - not to mention avoiding all the horse 'waste' as I zipped through the town on my Yamaha - all while holding my breath, the 'smell' of the brewing I find horrendous!

I love wychwood brewery's motto for the hobgoblin (as I dislike most lagers)
Quote:
"What's the matter Lagerboy, afraid you might taste something?"
FFL
Fishhead Family Reunited

2009-06-19, 14:33

Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (9.2 KB, 5 views)
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
The more hops, the higher the score. For many beer tasters, that's all that is important.
Sad but true, it's the same MOAR IS BETTA mentality that leads to GHz wars.

I like a lot of hops, but I like a lot of *good* hops. Shitty beers that try and overload on cheap hops are just kind of lame.