User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Screw Apple's Mouse (Macally Bluetooth MouseJr)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Screw Apple's Mouse (Macally Bluetooth MouseJr)
SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-06-04, 12:39

Someone at .com gave me the heads-up a while back to keep an eye on over at Macally because they were in the process of designing a new bluetooth mouse. Well its here...

A PowerBook-Matching Multi-Button Bluetooth Mouse with Scroll-Wheel!!!

Thank God!

Now, if all the following are requirements for you (as most are for me), this is the ONLY mouse on the market (AFAIK) that will fulfil your needs...
  • Silver colour to match the PB
  • Multi-button for games
  • Scroll-wheel for internet/document browsing
  • No mo-fo dongle ( ) required
  • Mac and PC compatible
  • Small size for portability
  • Accepts *rechargeable* AA batteries ("its the environment, stupid")

And, at $49, its $20 cheaper than Apple's offering (though still pretty dear).

Just thought I'd bring this to your attention and also ask for any opinions/reviews from people who have bought the mouse.

I hope they ship to overseas (UK) -- I haven't been through the ordering procedure yet to see whether they do, or not. But, I'm gettin' this little dude, Call of Duty (effing awsome demo) and a Tempur pillow (bit OT) as soon as my exams are over. All that'll set me back about £100. Nevermind -- exams will be over, OVER, OVEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRR!

Yeah, so the Macally Bluetooth MouseJr is kewl.

bouncy bouncy
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-04, 12:49

Cool.

Also, guys: keep an eye out for MacMice's new mouse. They came out with a two-button/scroll wheel mouse late last year that looks just like Apple's design (which I love). BUT, it's wired/USB.

I wrote them, asking if there was a Bluetooth version anywhere in the future and Jack responded saying they were rolling out their Bluetooth version in June.

It's June.

No idea if they're REALLY going to do it, but I'm just passing along what I was told.

You know, something kinda just hit me: all you people clamoring for Apple to produce a two-button/scroll wheel Bluetooth optical mouse...that's great and all, but you do realize, don't you, that they'd probably charge $89-109 for it.

So, let Apple make the one-button (which millions of people enjoy and don't have a problem with, including myself) and turn to all the other cool companies - Kensington, Logitech, MacAlly, etc. - for your multi-button/scroll wheel needs and desires. These guys make good products and you know damn well they're more affordable than anything Apple would make in that vein!
thegelding
feeling my oats

Send a message via AIM to thegelding  
2004-06-04, 13:01

i like that one pscates...if my logitech dual ever dies, i might pick that up...anybody try it yet? how is the tracking?? the slide??

g
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-04, 13:22

That MacAlly mouse looks nice! But check out the dimensions: roughly the size of a business card (or iPod mini ). They don't seem to offer a full-size version of it. Odd, because if you look through their mice offerings, they seem to have a normal AND mini/jr. size of most of their products.

Would most people be okay with one of these mini models?

I think I could learn to like it, as long as I didn't cramp up and develop a claw.

I've always been totally happy with the one-button Apple mouse (in its various designs, over the years: beige, hockey puck, current model), but the more I use OS X, the more I find myself reaching for the Control key. And goodness knows I spend most of my day scrolling!

It's probably time I consider a "real mouse"...sigh.

SonOfSylvanus
Fro Productions(tm)

2004-06-04, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
You know, something kinda just hit me: all you people clamoring for Apple to produce a two-button/scroll wheel Bluetooth optical mouse...
I don't care *who* makes a two-button/scroll wheel Bluetooth optical mouse with the features I listed above, as long as SOMEONE makes one, ya know? I mean OMFG how long has it taken for just an all-silver BT mouse to become available for us aesthetically overly-sensitive PowerBook users? No-one would even give us that!

More importantly, all BT offerings from Microsoft, Kensinton, Logitech etc had (IMO) some glaring deficiency like ugly design, terrible battery-life, un-bundleable cradle, flaky multi-button support, no support for rechargable batteries, or something. I reckon this mouse from Macally is really catering for what people want. It better damn well be good!

thegelding, in the MicroAnvika stores near where I'm at they have a few of those mice (called "The Mouse" ) hooked up to demo machines. (I recognised them from the discussions at .com.) To be honest I found them to be very "average". They came across as pretty bog-standard mice, but with an Apple-gimmick twist. They were also quite dirty around the edges of the clear plastic covering -- but then again the MicroAnvika stores are along a busy London road, so I dunno if that's any indication of the effects of real-life usage. I can't be of much more help, I'll try them out again next time I walk to Uni past them there shops.

bouncy bouncy
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-04, 13:43

I hear ya.

Hey, if you end up getting that MacAlly mouse, please post back here with a review and your opinions! I'd be curious to see if this one "gets it right".

I wasn't aware all the other models from the other companies were so lacking!

In any case, the "people clamoring for Apple to make a two-button mouse" wasn't made directly at you at all, as much as it was to people in general, still irked that Apple only makes a one-button mouse.

It's probably best that way, because if they charge $49 and $69 for one-button...well, imagine what they'd charge for TWO (and a scroll wheel)!

psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2004-06-04, 14:41

Quick update: I wrote to MacMice an hour ago and they responded, directly me to their FAQ page (I should've looked there to begin with...). Anyway, here's the story on their Bluetooth version of The Mouse:

Quote:
Are you going to offer a Bluetooth version of your mouse?
Yes, in late-summer 2004. There will be white and AL versions, alkaline battery, on-off switch, same clear shell as our The Mouse, MSRP of $69.99. All design, packaging, and tooling are completed. We are simply waiting our turn on the Bluetooth modules we will use on our circuit board, as these are limited availability, "allocated production" components at this time.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-05, 10:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
That MacAlly mouse looks nice! But check out the dimensions: roughly the size of a business card (or iPod mini ). They don't seem to offer a full-size version of it. Odd, because if you look through their mice offerings, they seem to have a normal AND mini/jr. size of most of their products.

Would most people be okay with one of these mini models?

I think I could learn to like it, as long as I didn't cramp up and develop a claw.

...[snip]...
I use one of those mini mice Paul. I wrote about it in another thread...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
I actually use a corded Logitech MouseMan Traveler with a mouse pad that has a built in gel rest. Although it is very small - it is a surprisingly comfortable way to work, since I just use my fingertips and rest my wrist on the gel pad - thus elevating my wrist to an ergonomically acceptable/comfortable position. My hand never fully grasps or rests upon the mouse itself so it doesn't get into a state of fixed tension.

It is a two button mouse, btw - three if you count the scroll wheel. As implied, the scroll wheel can be assigned to click and I use that to delete items in the Finder. Just select the document or folder and click - off to the trash can it goes!
For me, it is quite a pleasant way to work, but ymmv.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2004-06-05, 10:05

I also actually like the design aesthetic of the MacMice and would be interested to check out the Bluetooth model when it is released. Of course, if I were to purchase such a peripheral that would necessitate the purchase of a Bluetooth enabled laptop. Oh well, dem's da breaks!

(Btw, I know that BT add-ons exist, but I couldn't stand to have an ugly protrusion from the rear of my TiPB just to add Bluetooth functionality.)

All I want is a simple life
twitter
slider

2005-05-26, 10:48

Hey folks

does anyone have any idea how to get rid of that annoying 'Connection Lost' pop-up panel when using their Macally PB mouse (BT)??? Puzzling, as I have tried to find the damn picture in my system library folders, possibly in with the eject panel that appears on disk eject... can anyone help?

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2005-05-26, 11:50

Is it such a huge problem? It's only there for a second or two.

To return to the old posts in the thread, I have one of the Macally mice, and I like it a lot. I initially had a Radtech BT500, but it was just tooooo small. The Macally, despite being called Jr, is a reasonable size for me, and has a nice weight to it. Recommended.

EDIT: Wow, just realised just how old this thread is...top marks to the person above for searching!

Last edited by Bryson : 2005-05-26 at 12:00.
stevegong
www.stevegongphoto.com

Send a message via AIM to stevegong Send a message via Skype™ to stevegong 
2005-05-26, 12:36

You're right. Almost all of the bluetooth mice in existant are somewhat lacking. I did some research, and the only one that was worthy was this:

Worthy Mouse

It has many buttons, nice design, and logitech quality.

However, I heard from users that the battery life isn't so great- that you need to charge it every other day with the provided battery charger.

It's stupid they need to sell the charger/bluetooth dongle and make you pay extra. I have a common AA battery charger.

Another thing I don't understand is how people can live with just 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. 2 buttons and a scroll wheel doesn't let you do Exposé, Dashboard, and browser back. Hot corners? Lame (annoying and easy to hit by mistake), Without a multi button mouse, you'd have to reach to the keyboard.

I never thought I'd use all those buttons, but trust me, once you get a multi button mouse (more than 3) you'll never go back
CobaltFire

Send a message via AIM to CobaltFire  
2005-05-26, 12:50

I would have to agree with stevegong. I have a Logitech MX510 on my desktop, and after using that my PowerBook's single button trackpad can drive me batty at times. Good thing that I like keyboard shortcuts... After using one of thos mice with 5 buttons or so, it becomes second nature to click for back and forward in your browser, and scroll in a window.
ummagumma

2005-05-26, 17:20

The Macally Bluetooth MouseJr sucks ass. I had it for a month it kinda sorta worked OK when it didn't lose its connection.

Then as clock work would have it; after the return window had closed so too did the Macally Bluetooth MouseJr it decided to stop functioning.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2005-05-26, 21:52

I'm still liking my basic Logitech non-Bluetooth wireless optical mouse. It was exceedingly cheap and works fine, day in and day out, 1.5 years after I bought it.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Track_40

2005-05-31, 23:43

Have any of you guys checked out RadTech's new Blue Tooth Mouse???
:: Link ::

It looks KICKASS.
Plus, the icing on the cake is the backup USB power cable. If your batteries go dead, you can plug a 'tail' onto the mouse, and it converts from BT to USB -- Nice Touch!