The Beer Thread™

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The Beer Thread™
Page 5 of 9 Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  Next Thread Tools
¡Damned!

2009-06-19, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I mean, I love IPAs, I love Stone Brewery, but there definitely seems to be a lot of bandwagoning on the hophead side of things.
Werd, and if you looked at some of my past posts you'd see I've been lamenting for the past few years about that as well.

Really, the only IPA I drink right now is Two Hearted. It's just fantastic. Absolutely everything you would want in an IPA without making your mouth fucker up.

And believe me, I'm a Hops Bitch. It's just, after so many beers trying way too hard, I've settled upon Larry's TH. Now don't get me wrong, I could devote an entire thread to the whys and whats of hoppy beer. And indeed, I'll jump into a Dogfish Head 90 Minute like my mother jumping onto a trucker's cock, but that's just not what I do for a daily fix anymore.

So it goes.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-06-19, 15:28

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of hoppy beer that's also shit? As hard as I can try, I can't think of a beer that was hoppy & didn't like it. OTOH, I can name plenty of not-so-hoppy beers that I don't like (excluding the macros, of course.)

Anyway, file under "interesting":

I'm kind of weird as I like fruity beer, and they did a nice job on that one.
¡Damned!

2009-06-19, 15:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of hoppy beer that's also shit?
Plenty. New Holland's HopHead, Founder's RyePA, Magic Hat IPA, Avery's IPA (and seriously, I love Adam, he's good people), Harpoon, Goose Island, Mad Hatter...jesus, I could go on forever.

I will say that the Founders IPA is probably the best IPA you can get, but I have issues with them, so I'd recommend Bell's Two Hearted above all others for a daily drinker IPA.

So it goes.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-06-19, 15:50

Quote:
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of hoppy beer that's also shit? As hard as I can try, I can't think of a beer that was hoppy & didn't like it. OTOH, I can name plenty of not-so-hoppy beers that I don't like (excluding the macros, of course.)
It's a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I've never had a hoppy beer and liked it. The only one that I even sort of like is Fat Tire. And in fact, I'd rank Bell's Two Hearted as the beer I enjoyed the least, tied with Surly Furious. Both taste more like pine sap than beer; both have an "A" ranking on BA, with everyone gushing about how wonderful they are. I'm sure if I were to try five more IPAs, I'd dislike them all equally because I just can't get over the green, plant-y bitterness of them. There's nothing that makes Two Hearted or Furious stick out other than the fact that I've tried them. EDIT: Actually, now I remember I also tried Summit IPA once. Also hated that one.

Again, it's just a difference of personal opinion. IMO, hoppy beers are all shit. But obviously a lot of people disagree with me. And I'm not ranting or anything, I just feel like hop-heads have such a strong internet presence they make me feel like I'm weird for not liking to drink what I perceive as alcoholic Christmas tree extract in a bottle.

Quote:
Anyway, file under "interesting":

I'm kind of weird as I like fruity beer, and they did a nice job on that one.
Ah yes, I got a six pack of those last weekend. They're alright. I like how they managed to get a sort of fruit essence into the beer without actually making it sweet. Sort of like those bottles of sparkling water with fruit flavors - they have the flavor, but no real sweetness at all. It's definitely still a real beer, not a wine cooler or similar. But it's not what I'd get all the time. My standards now are either Grain Belt Premium (for cheapness), Sam Adams Light, or Finnegans.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-06-19, 15:54

My main complaint with Grain Belt (maybe's it's changed) is that it always has this terrible skunk flavor as if it's been warm-cool-warm-cool-etc too many times, sort of like Heineken.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
¡Damned!

2009-06-19, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
It's a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I've never had a hoppy beer and liked it. The only one that I even sort of like is Fat Tire. And in fact, I'd rank Bell's Two Hearted as the beer I enjoyed the least, tied with Surly Furious. Both taste more like pine sap than beer; both have an "A" ranking on BA, with everyone gushing about how wonderful they are. I'm sure if I were to try five more IPAs, I'd dislike them all equally because I just can't get over the green, plant-y bitterness of them. There's nothing that makes Two Hearted or Furious stick out other than the fact that I've tried them. EDIT: Actually, now I remember I also tried Summit IPA once. Also hated that one.

Again, it's just a difference of personal opinion. IMO, hoppy beers are all shit. But obviously a lot of people disagree with me. And I'm not ranting or anything, I just feel like hop-heads have such a strong internet presence they make me feel like I'm weird for not liking to drink what I perceive as alcoholic Christmas tree extract in a bottle.
I think we went over this before.

You don't like IPA's so STOP TRYING THEM.

Seriously.

Didn't we figure out you were a caramelish Moose-Drool type guy? That's totally fine, and not a bad way to go, by any means.

So stop dissing IPAs...because *some* of us have a real taste for them.

*I should note that Fat Tire isn't considered an IPA by most beer aficionados (snobs). Just sayin'.

So it goes.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2009-06-19, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by 709 View Post
Plenty. New Holland's HopHead, Founder's RyePA, Magic Hat IPA, Avery's IPA (and seriously, I love Adam, he's good people), Harpoon, Goose Island, Mad Hatter...jesus, I could go on forever.

I will say that the Founders IPA is probably the best IPA you can get, but I have issues with them, so I'd recommend Bell's Two Hearted above all others for a daily drinker IPA.
Thanks. I actually never tried any of those, so I must have been lucky. Also, thanks for the recommendations.

Quote:
It's a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I've never had a hoppy beer and liked it.
Again, it's just a difference of personal opinion. IMO, hoppy beers are all shit. But obviously a lot of people disagree with me.
That's quite alright. I just was struck by the oddness when I realized that I couldn't name a shitty hoppy beer and wondered that I must have missed out (a good thing!) or totally lost my sense of taste (not so good!).
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-06-19, 16:08

Quote:

Seriously.

Didn't we figure out you were a caramelish Moose-Drool type guy? That's totally fine, and not a bad way to go, by any means.

*I should note that Fat Tire isn't considered an IPA my most beer-snobs. Just sayin'.
Okay, sorry

I actually did stop trying them several months ago after two bad experiences in a short span of time. I guess this thread just reminded of it but meh, it's already public knowledge, no need to keep ranting.

Also, I'm aware Fat Tire isn't an IPA. Much milder than that.

But yeah there's plenty of stuff I like out there so from now on I'll stick to commenting on stuff I do like.
¡Damned!

2009-06-19, 16:15

Actually, I'd be really interested in what you're finding you like right now.

I think I remember you liking either the Fat Squirrel or Spotted Cow, but I don't remember which. I have a friend that has tastes along your lines and it'd be interesting to hear what you've found (domestic or not, she doesn't care).

So it goes.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2009-06-19, 16:44

My philosophy is, if it comes in a shimery, colorful label, it's being marketed to chics. That's no good. Further, if it comes in a normal label but is described as having any type of fruit flavor (other than Weiss beer maybe), it is also a chic beer and I want no part of it. Chics I like. Chic beer... not so much.

Jack would be proud to hear me say "I don't want any cranberry-nut-crunch-fuckin-ale, ok?! Now give me a (real beer) because this is America and I am very thirsty!"

http://www.gunaxin.com/dennis-leary-christmas-beer/7220

Dennis says: NSFW

...into the light of a dark black night.
!Marc!

2009-06-26, 12:56

Well I tried the 6X, it was ok, but nothing really special to my palette.

I got 3 new beers to try today. Wychcraft, Abbott Ale, and Fullers HoneyDew.

So far, the Wychcraft has gone down nicely, but not as tasty as the same brewers Hobgoblin brand, the Fullers Honeydew was imo a novelty beer, something pleasant to try once, but I'll probably not drink it again.

Having looked around several supermarkets, i can say that I havn't seen most of the beers shown here.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-06-26, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Marc! View Post
Well I tried the 6X, it was ok, but nothing really special to my palette.
You are dead to me.

Quote:
I got 3 new beers to try today. Wychcraft, Abbott Ale, and Fullers HoneyDew.

So far, the Wychcraft has gone down nicely, but not as tasty as the same brewers Hobgoblin brand, the Fullers Honeydew was imo a novelty beer, something pleasant to try once, but I'll probably not drink it again.
The Honeydew is nice as a summer afternoon pint, but it is a bit odd, for sure.

Have you tried Theakstons XB? That's nice too - similar to the Speckled Hen.
!Marc!

2009-06-26, 17:59

Im going to try 'Old Crafty Hen' next - seeing as its near double the price of everything else, it better be good.

I cant remember if I tried the XB, definately had something from Theakstons a few weeks ago - I have decided it to make a collection of empty bottles so I dont forget.
Eugene
careful with axes

2009-06-28, 10:28

Quote:
I actually did stop trying them several months ago after two bad experiences in a short span of time. I guess this thread just reminded of it but meh, it's already public knowledge, no need to keep ranting.
It's like the peeps that claim Ardbeg is the one true Scotch because it tastes like the bottom of a shoe. All I know is I'd rather have something more refined like Glenlivet or even lighter like Glenkinchie.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2009-06-28, 12:33

Quote:

Seriously.

*I should note that Fat Tire isn't considered an IPA by most beer aficionados (snobs). Just sayin'.
I must say that I have been on a real IPA kick recently myself. I love the crisp, hoppy taste on a summer day; more refreshing than a lager. I think that the best IPA that I can recall having came from a small brewery in San Diego, Stone Brewery [* edit: already mentioned in posts further above].

Among beers commonly available around here, I have recently been enjoying Sleeman's IPA. It's hoppy, but not wildly so. It's a nice balance: hoppy enough to please IPA buffs, while not turning off people who might not be all that familiar with this beer style.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
!Marc!

2009-07-01, 13:09

We have teh Winner! Now I know why its twice the price.

Its hard to imagine how anything could be nicer than this.

It even beats Barbecued smokey bacon sandwiches. Its that good. It should be on the list of 101 things to do before you die. Go get some.

NOW!
!Marc!

2009-07-03, 14:31

Where are all our beer tasters???!

One thing is for sure, I definately dont like 'stout'. It just occured to me what the 'stout' taste was, after randomly selecting bottles to try, i've picked up another one and put 2+2 together. Saw some beers from a brewery I have favourably tried before. One was a stout. Yuck!

Looking on wiki for stout, I now realise what it is. I used to like a cool pint of guinness too, but after I gave up smoking (Celebrating 1 year on Aug 20th.YAY!!!!!) , went off it quite rapidly....

The other one I picked up today was "White Wych", it was OK, Im hoping that everything now is not a disappointment after succumbing to the beautiful tones of the Old Crafty! That would be an expensive habit to have picked up!

Id better go and make some bacon sarnies to remove this odd lingering 'taste' from my mouth!
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2009-07-03, 14:38

That's funny because I never smoked and I like Guinness. Not that it's my favourite, though.

I find stouts to be good as "last beer" before heading home it's something that you can drink slowly and they are also excellent sleeping pills.
murbot
Hoonigan

2009-07-03, 14:55

Man, I've been drinking cheap stuff lately. Old Milwaukee is now my splurge beer.

Swilled back quite a few Boxer Beers lately. $29.49 for a 36 box. Compared to about $25 for 15 Canadians it's pretty cheap shit.

My and my friends call it "recession beer". We all sit around complaining about being laid off and get hammered for 86 cents a can.

If only I lived in the US, the land of cheap beer...
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-07-03, 16:16

Not a beer, but a beer cocktail, and very, very tasty. I made a much smaller batch, and used proportionally more ginger. Called a Penn Shandy.

Ginger-Infused dry Gin:
½ pound ginger, peeled against the grain into ¼-inch slices
1 750-milliliter bottle dry gin

Cocktail:
1 bottle Pilsener
1 ounce ginger-infused gin
1 ounce fresh lime juice
1 ounce simple syrup
1 twist lemon

METHOD

Gin:
Combine the peeled ginger with the gin in a blender and puree. Using a fine mesh strainer, separate the pulp from the gin. Store the gin in a tightly sealed bottle.

For the Cocktail:
Pour the beer into a glass. In a shaker, combine ginger-infused gin, lime juice, and simple syrup. Add ice, shake, and strain into the glass.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
!Marc!

2009-07-08, 12:49

Heres another beer that needs to be on the list of 101 beers to drink before you die. Im halfway through it right now, it luvvvveeerrrllyyyy.

Innis & gunn OAK AGED BEER, as made in Edinburgh, Scotland.

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.co...-original.html
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-07-08, 13:01

My brother's a big fan of the Delirium Tremens:

Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2009-07-08, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Marc! View Post
Heres another beer that needs to be on the list of 101 beers to drink before you die. Im halfway through it right now, it luvvvveeerrrllyyyy.

Innis & gunn OAK AGED BEER, as made in Edinburgh, Scotland.

http://www.united-nations-of-beer.co...-original.html
I HATE the regular Innis and Gunn stuff - the overtone of scotch is way too pronounced. How's that one for that?
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2009-07-08, 13:25

There's always a lot of discussion over the BEST beers, but what about the WORST? What's the worst beer you've ever tasted?

Mine was some Busch Light I got for free several months ago. It was so skunky I thought it had gone bad, but the date on the can indicated it wasn't even that old. It just naturally tasted that bad.

And speaking of bad beer, I recently heard about a guy who broke into a closed convenience store using his car and all he stole was a 12-pack of Natural ("Natty") Ice.

http://www.lawrenceburgnow.com/070209burglar.html
!Marc!

2009-07-08, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
I HATE the regular Innis and Gunn stuff - the overtone of scotch is way too pronounced. How's that one for that?
*cough*6x*cough* but I agree it is 'strong' but I like that as a novelty drink. I couldn't drink it all night.

but anyway, now I have a little collection of beer bottles I've collected over the last month - something interesting. I have put the tops back on the bottles, as I dont want my apartment to smell like a brewery, and quite frankly, the smell of old beer isn't nice. BUT that empty bottle of old crafty hen smells absolutely lovely even after all this time, while some of the others are starting to smell rank!
tomoe
Veteran Member

2009-07-08, 13:34

Quote:
There's always a lot of discussion over the BEST beers, but what about the WORST? What's the worst beer you've ever tasted?
Mine is Samuel Adam's Triple Bock...that shit is FOUL.
ezkcdude
Veteran Member

2009-07-08, 13:36

Quote:
And speaking of bad beer, I recently heard about a guy who broke into a closed convenience store using his car and all he stole was a 12-pack of Natural ("Natty") Ice.
"Natty" to me will always be "Natty Boh" (Natural Bohemian) from Baltimore where I went to college. Not a good beer by any means, though.
!Marc!

2009-07-08, 13:39

Quote:

Mine was some Busch Light I got for free several months ago. It was so skunky I thought it had gone bad, but the date on the can indicated it wasn't even that old. It just naturally tasted that bad.

http://www.lawrenceburgnow.com/070209burglar.html
where to start! ??? I dont even really like beer - in order to find 5 exceptional ones, I have tried over 30 so far, most are acceptable to OK, ie they all taste the same to me and I cant understand why anyone would go out of their way to drink them. On the other hand, i am noticing the more expensive the beer, the more I like it. OTOH, I got a can of some of own brand Lidl cheapo lager (and I hate lager normally) stuff the other day, and thought it was quite good for a lager. I thought it a bit disrespectful to the brewers to name 'bad' beers, as its all subjective - I have ordered my beer bottle collection to my preference, and currently, the McEwans Champion is in a league of its own according to !marc!s 'puke inducing' rating!, diametrically opposed to the 'old crafty' scaling the lofty heights of taste bud orgasm.

[edit] while looking for a pic of mcEwans champion, I stumbed across this 'bar joke',

"A Scotsman was visiting a friend in Canada. Soon after the he arrived, he glanced out the window to see a huge beast just outside. He pointed at it, and asked his Canadian friend, "Here sir, whit's that?" The Canadian replied, "Oh, that's a moose." The Scotsman stared in disbelief, and replied, "That's a moose?! Jings. Let's jist hope that thur's nae cats aboot!"

Well I liked it...

[edit 2] If you want a real laugh, head over to the 'other place' and witness Lundy proving once and for all that he is the internets biggest dickhead. Long live franksargent.

Last edited by !Marc! : 2009-07-08 at 14:05.
!Marc!

2009-07-09, 13:02

Crisis!

One of my favourite new beers - the one that got me started on this beer crusade, I just bought tonight, and I very much didn't like it! I havn't had it for a month, and thought it would be good to go back to it, as I dont have the bottle for my collection.

Can taste's and preferences really develop that much in a month? I'll have to think about resampling all the beers I originally wrote off....

On noes!
evan
Formerly CoachKrzyzewski

Send a message via AIM to evan  
2009-07-09, 13:09

natty light but being in college i've learned to drink it like water...

speaking of beers, my 21st is soon (a month away tomorrow), any recommendations? I've primarily just drank light beers with some corona and fosters and guinness thrown in for good measure (all 3 of which I enjoy if that says anything about my tastes?)