Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Philly Officer Danny Faulkner's killer denied appeal

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Philly Officer Danny Faulkner's killer denied appeal
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-02-21, 15:07

Wesley Cook, better known as Mumia Abu-Jamal, has been denied a new trial.

Mumia appeal denied

As you can imagine, this is a very contentious issue in Philadelphia

Backstory on what happened:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia District Attorney (from court transcript
"On December 9, 1981, Faulkner pulled over William Cook, the brother of Mumia Abu-Jamal, (born Wesley Cook). While Faulkner attempted to arrest Cook, Abu-Jamal, arrived and shot Faulkner in the back. Officer Faulkner managed to return fire before falling to the ground, wounding Abu-Jamal, in the chest. However, Abu-Jamal, stood over the fallen officer and emptied the remaining chambers of his revolver into him at close range, one of the shots striking Faulkner in the face."
This has been a huge issue in Philly for almost thirty years. It is also one that i have been very interested in since I first read about the case. Coming from an extended family of Philadelphia police officers, I sort of have a vested interest in this.

This latest appeal was denied because he waited too long to file, but there have been others in which judges have looked over the transcripts and decided that he received a fair trial.

I just finished reading Murdered by Mumia, which was written by Officer Faulkner's widow Maureen.

It was her goal to dispel the myths about this case that have been distributed by supporters of Mumia, or who I like to call Mumidiots. She backs up her statements with quotes from the court transcript, which Jamal's supporters refuse to do.

There is also a great website maintained by Maureen Faulkner's new husband, Danny Faulkner Website

This case has been getting an immense amount of press in Philly over the past couple of years, and I just wanted to post about it to get some of the information out there.

If anyone would like to discuss this case on here, I'd be more than welcome to participate.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-02-22, 18:24

The only injustice in this case is that this guy wasn't strapped in the electric chair about 23 years ago.

Of all the people in U.S. prisons, this guy is among the last who should have the Hollywood crowd, etc., clamoring for "justice."
AppleNewbie

Send a message via AIM to AppleNewbie  
2008-02-27, 15:03

Other than satisfying your desire for societal revenge, how would the execution of this admittedly despicable person have benefitted us as a whole?
murbot
Hoonigan

2008-02-27, 15:44

What do you mean other than the revenge? Damn, we have to have more than one good reason?
Souflay123

Send a message via AIM to Souflay123  
2008-02-27, 21:13

thank god!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-02-27, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewbie View Post
Other than satisfying your desire for societal revenge, how would the execution of this admittedly despicable person have benefitted us as a whole?
It would save tax payers a whole lot of money. If you wish to foot his bill then I say let him live. Otherwise, he should have been fried a long time ago.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-02-27, 23:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle2472 View Post
It would save tax payers a whole lot of money. If you wish to foot his bill then I say let him live. Otherwise, he should have been fried a long time ago.
... I'm guessing the (dubious) "But execution costs more than imprisonment!" argument will start any second now ...
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-02-27, 23:37

Depends how you define "cost", surely?
veryamusing

2008-02-28, 00:54

As apple007 opined, Abu-Jamal should have been executed a long time ago, and not because it may or may not have saved taxpayers any money. He had his day in court; and thankfully Philadelphia has sensible judges or this guy would continue to mock our justice system.
Bryson
Rocket Surgeon

2008-03-04, 14:13

Interestingly enough, I've been seeing these home printed flyers stuck to the bus stops around Vancouver for a few weeks. I finally read one a couple of days ago:

Closer:

I have no idea who is right and who is wrong, but people obviously feel very strongly about it, if they're posting flyers in different countries!
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-03-04, 15:29

This case has been worldwide for a long time now.

France seems to be the biggest supporter, even naming a street after him.

Naturally, Philadelphians didn't like this very much, even going as far as the owner of "Geno's Steaks" renaming French fries to Freedom fries in protest. The sign is still up in the window there.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.