Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

New 'Today Show' Set

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
New 'Today Show' Set
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-15, 06:22

I missed the debut of the new Today Show set but from what I've seen in the interviews this morning it really, really sucks. Maybe they don't know how to shoot it yet, but it looks like they're shooting from the inside of my Uncle Biffo's RV.

Ooooh, and I just saw Matt Lauer give Meredith a zinger, and it was a little sharp!!

Golly I hope that Paul doesn't have a fit!

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-15, 06:56

It looks weird, sure enough.

They had some designer on there the other morning (the first morning) who designed it, giving his reasons: lots of glass and reflective material, and certain colors, that will come across better on HD.

They got rid of the dark, busy stuff from before.

But yeah, it looks bland or odd.

I just woke up...missed the zinger.

Matt's on notice.

drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-15, 08:01

Bland, bland, bland, bland.
Everybody looks soft and fuzzy.
It's like some after-after-hours breakfast bistro in an airport on the outskirts of Marseilles... the sort of place you'd expect to wake up next to a German dentist recovering from a post-convention hangover, waiting for your poached eggs and connecting flight to Bamberg... which is probably exactly how the set was conceived, especially if that designer's first name is 'Jeremy'.

Edit: Already your Meredithzilla is trying to slip the last word in on conversations and our Dude Matt wouldn't take it. To be continued next week!!

Captain Drew on Twitter
Miko
Veteran Member

2006-09-15, 08:07

Yup the set looks more like some Internet cafe, and I don't know if the tele-prompters are too high, but it seems that Meredith V is constantly looking up and it come across pretty odd looking to me.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2006-09-15, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Bland, bland, bland, bland.
Everybody looks soft and fuzzy.
It's like some after-after-hours breakfast bistro in an airport on the outskirts of Marseilles... the sort of place you'd expect to wake up next to a German dentist recovering from a post-convention hangover, waiting for your poached eggs and connecting flight to Bamberg... which is probably exactly how the set was conceived, especially if that designer's first name is 'Jeremy'.
That's a pretty vivid little description...the kind of thing I'd labor over for a good 5-10 minutes, angling for the funniest imagery/wordplay, and you just whip it out, sounding all natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprops View Post
Edit: Already your Meredithzilla is trying to slip the last word in on conversations and our Dude Matt wouldn't take it. To be continued next week!!
Ooh, do tell.

Were they genuinely feisty/upset, or just playing around? Because they've been engaging in friendly jabs since day one. But I've seen Matt get a bit curt with others, interrupting Ann Curry once with a very serious, terse "excuse me" while he was saying something and she dared to inject an opinion. The brief look on her face was priceless.

"Oh no you din't, motherfu..."

He might be a real hard-ass? Who knew...

I wish he would've smacked the gum out of Britney's mouth a few months ago though.

I'm betting that set gets tweaked a bit because this is certainly not the first I've heard of people hating it.

A shame...they apparently spent all summer building the stupid thing, and nobody seems to dig it. Brian Williams (Tom Brokaw Jr.) came on Wednesday to "welcome" Meredith (gave her a tongue bath, leading out to the commercial) and the first words out of his mouth were something like "it looks like a spa...can I schedule a deep tissue massage or steam?"

Yeah, it's a bit ugly and uninviting. I won't lie.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2006-09-15 at 08:22.
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2006-09-15, 11:26

Matt is the man. Meredith is well..... not my favorite but she is doing ok.

The set..... not cool. They tried too hard
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-15, 11:41

Thanks Paul

Miko,
Do you mean that her face is always angled up? That's the way you shoot someone to make them look less jowly.

Paul, back to you 1st caller,
It seemed very much like the exchange you described between Matt and Anne. The topic was the potential legislation in Spain regarding the waif models, as has been discussed here. It was on a hand-off from Matt to Meredith... Matt remarked that if people don't want to support the stuff that they can avoid buying the goods, whereupon Meredith said something about her and daughter, done in a tone that might be interpreted as "it's a girl thing, you wouldn't understand"... essentially agreeing that legislation was necessary, which Matt wouldn't let slide without underscoring the idea that the concept of legislating runway models' body builds is over-legislation of the worst kind.

Captain Drew on Twitter