User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Digital Camera Chat

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Digital Camera Chat
Page 102 of 114 First Previous 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106  Next Last Thread Tools
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-08-26, 08:56

I could just stick with the 70-200 VR1, which is an excellent portrait lens that covers most of the relevant focal lengths with the useful addition of VR. The overlapping primes have to do something special to warrant inclusion, and most of them do. The 85s open up big, the micros are super sharp and work in close, and the 105 and 135DC do their soft focus tricks. There's even a very tiny hint of swirly petzvaliness to the DC lenses at some subject to background distances and apertures, and a little less contrast wide open, which gives a more vintage look if you don't molest the file too much in post. I think a lot of the time most of the differences are too subtle for most people to care, but I also think that given the aggressive tendency towards sharpness and high saturation in most new lenses, that there will come a time when certain vintage optics are sought out just because they look different. Not many of those feature useful autofocus, the DC's do.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-03, 13:57

Hmmm... harkening back to our, where the phvck is the compact FX body discussion from a while back, Nikon Rumors suggests that a 20mm f/1.8 AF-S lens is coming. Now, this probably won't be too compact compared to the 2.8 AF-D that's still in the lineup, and probably not all that cheap compared judging by the 35mm and 28mm FX lenses, but still pretty interesting that they're completing this lineup at a quite respectable pace. 20-28-35-50-85. All relatively compact, relatively light. Just make a flipping compact FX camera

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-08, 03:28

Next up: a Leica M without a display! That’ll set the cat among the pigeons. But will it be any use?

I don’t think it matters much, since it’s a limited edition, but maybe Leica’s just testing market reaction.

… engrossed in such factional acts as dreaming different dreams.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-08, 08:19

I can't see too many people buying those. You can just tape over display, or buy a film camera but those may be exactly the reasons they'll try it out.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-09, 10:53

A while back in the thread, while contemplating sling straps, I lamented the loss of the Luma Loop to idiotic patent issuing from the US Patents Office - which Black Rapid had been aggressively enforcing.

The rapid straps are fast, but they don't allow for you to close up the strap too avoid swinging cameras. I got an email from Luma Labs, they have now re-introduced the Loop in a V3 version that combines the cinch mechanism and the slider onto a one point strap. They also sell a two point "Cinch" Strap. Worth checking out either one.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-11, 10:44

I've been following the Nikon D750 rumours, and they indicate a new battery grip as well. The basic spec of the camera isn't that fast at 6.5fps. But high fps shooters may want something more. A grip - like the D700 of old - is a neat way to accomplish that. Keeps the original MSRP a little lower for the camera, but bumps things up (at a price) for those that need to shoot faster.

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-11, 12:03

I think 8 frames per second is needed (at least with the grip) to make this camera usefully faster than the D610 and D810 and therefore give it a clear purpose. The other specs sound like a mishmash of existing Nikon tech (51-point focus, 24-megapixel sensor, 1080p video, tilt LCD, etc., etc.), and won’t exactly set the world on fire – which isn’t to say it’ll be a bad camera.

But it doesn’t sound like it will be a significantly smaller, simpler, more durable, or more modern camera. Possibly it will have Wi-Fi, which I suppose should be welcomed (though personally I don’t care).

Doesn’t sound like it will have built-in GPS, which is a feature I do want. It looks like Nikon, after going to the trouble of building an excellent GPS sub-system in firmware and even marketing its own external GPS module, has ceded its geotagging lead completely to Canon.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2014-09-11, 12:13

The only nice thing about WIFI is that you can use your phone as a wireless trigger rather than spending $199 for the Nikon version.

The D750 is a strange mix of parts, and at $2799 sounds like a bit of a rip off, since you could get a D800 with the same or better features (FPS aside) two years ago. I am glad that Nikon decided to go with one card type (even if it is SDHC/SDXC) with this body, rather than a mix. 80+MB/s SDHC cards are getting reasonably priced now, so it should handle long bursts at least as well as the D700.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-11, 12:42

Well, if it's true that it's built to a similar size as the D610, the parts might actually fit together into a somewhat more useful sum than they initially suggest. A grip that also adds some speed and girth and battery capacity, turns it into a better long lens platform, but you can leave all that at home if you just want an FX camera in a slightly smaller package. I'd probably buy this over the Df, if only for the autofocus, I'm not a huge fan of the 39pt AF module.

consider the sizes

http://camerasize.com/compact/#495,486,440,490,ha,f

Df, D610, D7100 are all about the same size. I threw in the D5300, because it uses Nikon's new composite material and has a flip out LCD, and it's usefully smaller, and I would like to see Nikon make an FX camera about that size - or about the same size as an XT-1, just deeper. Still hoping, especially since we're likely to have an new 20mm f/1.8G lens soon. That will give them a quintet of fast, small, high quality, (and relatively affordable) AF primes (20, 28, 35, 50, 85) without the appropriate camera body

Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-11, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Still hoping, especially since we're likely to have an new 20mm f/1.8G lens soon. That will give them a quintet of fast, small, high quality, (and relatively affordable) AF primes (20, 28, 35, 50, 85)
How small will a full-frame 20 mm f/1.8 F-mount lens be? My guess is more along the lines of the f/1.4 primes than the smaller f/1.8 models. And it might be built and priced like those too! (But I hope you’re right.)

I’ll be fascinated to see what it’s like, regardless. It’s been a while since Nikon has gone that wide in a prime.

Eugene
careful with axes

2014-09-12, 01:12

Not the D700 successor we hoped for. Really seems more like a D650 than a D750...
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-12, 02:55

The new lens looks quite interesting. About the same size as the 28mm f/1.8g.

The 20mm is 82.5mm x 80mm and 355g. The 28mm is 72.5mm x 80mm and 330g.

Price is 799 USD. Nikon also patented an 18mm f/1.8 at the same time. I wonder if they'll release that one too?

The 20mm takes 77mm filters, an 18mm will almost certainly step beyond that.

At the size and price this could be something to carry instead of an ultrawide zoom, if 20mm is wide enough.

EDIT. And Eugene is right. Looks more like a D650: 1/200 flash sync, no dedicated AF-on, 1/4000 max shutter speed. No ten pin socket. Little niggles. Some bigger ones too: no capacity for faster frame rates, even with grip, makes me think shutter durability is not quite in the d8xx class.

But some good things too. Like the articulating LCD and smaller body size, and the price is good too, basically what a D610 cost only a few months ago. Especially like the new -3ev AF. It does make for a bit of head scratching though. The D810 only just came out, you'd think they'd want that model to have the more sensitive, and newest, AF?

And, now that they've got a more capable FX version of the D7100 sized body, let's get an FX version of the D5300. I'll even live with the same 39pt AF until the first revision of the product. However, delete the pop-up flash and give a full size prism.

Last edited by Matsu : 2014-09-12 at 03:37.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-12, 03:49

And one more thing. Given what's been achieved with f/1.8 primes, I think a set of primes one to two stops smaller is in order as well. Not necessarily pancake sized, but smaller than the 1.8s, at the very least no larger than AF-D era f/2.8 lenses.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-12, 04:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
The new lens looks quite interesting. About the same size as the 28mm f/1.8g.

The 20mm is 82.5mm x 80mm and 355g. The 28mm is 72.5mm x 80mm and 330g.
That is surprisingly small (though I think that 1 cm of extra width at the protruding filter thread will make it feel a little bigger to pack and use than the 28 mm f/1.8). I think only Sigma has done such a fast 20 mm in the past (the Leica 21 mm f/1.4 doesn’t count since it’s a seven-grand rangefinder lens). I was honestly expecting the new Nikkor to be a good bit bulkier and more expensive.

Nikon’s f/1.8 primes are perhaps the brand’s biggest strength at the moment. They’re optically good, super-useful, and affordably priced. And they probably have a pretty fat profit margin for Nikon, thanks to their lightweight plastic mechanics – the construction being my only real reservation with them (not that they’re famous for breaking, but they feel like $100 products in the hand).

The D750 is banal. More of the same from Nikon – repackaging a handful of tech modules in a slightly different combination every six months. Painful to watch. Maybe it’ll sell though – it’s hard for me to tell why people are buying SLRs anymore and therefore what they want in them.

Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-12, 08:43

There's some other stuff out as well that's kind of interesting too. Tamron's got a 15-30 f/2.8 with VR. Looks massive, as does Sony's 28-135 f/4 power zoom. Lots of interesting photo/video stuff.

I think what people want from DSLRs is a platform for high end high speed work, and video. But, as the 1.8 primes show, they can still be a platform for relatively compact/discrete lenses that surpass the quality attainable in smaller formats or larger zooms. But, [broken record] we don't have the camera [/broken record] yet. I'm convinced people would buy it.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-13, 09:46

There's some good news in the early d750 reports. Granger's early tests show a real world improvement in high ISO performance over the d610 and d800e. All are about the same to ISO1600, but the 750 is clearly better at 6400 and 12800.

It's slightly baffling what they may or may not be up to at Nikon. The camera has arguably the best AF module in their lineup. Despite the D4s and D810 only coming out a short while earlier, they still have an older AF system. And, it might just have the best all around sensor too. But it's got a lesser shutter assembly.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-09-13, 15:06

Regarding the AF system of the D750. I guess the new chip was not ready in time for the D4s or D810, otherwise I cannot see why Nikon would do that. The only other explanation is the D650... err I mean D750 has a lower binned processor and needs all the help it can get in low light.

On a side note, I think I may very well upgrade to my aging D700 for the D750. Yes it has some features missing, but the D750 will make for a nice light weight travel camera. It has most of the bells and whistles needed. Sure it has fewer pixels, but it's still a big bump up from the D700 in terms of resolutions and noise performance. Heck I could dump the D800 too and get two D750's. No more need to think about button changes and control differences. I think less than 2-3% of my shots use a shutter speed higher than 1/4000s, and I have ND filters if needed.

Last edited by PB PM : 2014-09-13 at 15:21.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-14, 08:23

That's not a bad plan. When the light really drops, the extra detail from the D8xx cameras wont reproduce anyway, and the max shutter speed won't matter either. I'd wait for a few more tests, but it does seem to be noticeably better than all but the D4 class cameras in the ISO 6400 to 25600 range.

I don't really think about sync speed anymore (since I'm set up like a pocket wizard king these days (6 TT radios). I would miss the 10 pin socket though.

PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-09-14, 10:27

What do you use the ten pin socket for? The only thing I use it for is a wired remote, which the WIFI (smartphone control) or RF wireless remotes take care of. The first and third party GPS units come with cables for both socket types, so no issue there either.

With your external lights and pocket wizards I would have thought you'd miss the PC sync port more than the ten pin.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-14, 12:32

tt1 power cable.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-09-14, 19:38

Interesting, I didn't realize the PW could draw power from the camera. Never looked into PW or similar devices.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-14, 22:23

The TT5 uses AA batteries, but the dedicated TT1 transmitter uses stupid coin cells. I think PW realized the annoyance and decided to give a second option.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products...ies/pw-dc-n10/

I've read that there are also rechargeable coin cells but I've never tried them. I keep an extra coin cell and use the power cable most of the time.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-15, 05:46

The new 40-150 mm f/2.8 from Olympus is a fairly serious-looking bit of kit. Priced at €1399, it’s not cheap but neither is it some pie-in-the-sky price. Amateurs who take their hobby seriously could save up and get one.

It weighs only 760 g despite its internal-zoom design, metal exterior, and minimum focus distance of just 0.7 m. I have little Zeiss primes that weigh nearly that much!

It’s also available in a bundle with a new 1.4 × teleconverter for an extra €200. Quite possibly all the telephoto you’d ever need, sized for travel.

Last edited by Dorian Gray : 2014-09-15 at 05:57. Reason: added surprisingly close minimum focus distance
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-15, 07:41

These are quite something, and potentially more attractive than using f/4 optics on APSC platforms. They have a 7-14 coming too. I think it might be interesting for them to try to create a two lens solution by stretching the wide end of the standard zoom down to about 20mm equivalent. Something like a 10-30, and leave the ultrawide behind altogether. Two bodies, two lenses, a teleconverter, and a few filters, one small bag, all pretty much water proof, and you're set to travel the world.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-15, 08:00

Guys, have a glance at DPReview. It’s like Christmas.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-15, 09:29

Wow, both the new Lumix and GX7 are pretty interesting.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-09-15, 17:43

I don't see much difference in the Matt Granger D750 vs D610 comparison. The sample photos are also not consistently framed or exposed. There's perhaps a tiny amount more cyan/magenta noisiness going on in the D610, but not enough for me to care about at all.
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-09-15, 19:00

Hmm I'm digging the LX100, although the battery life not great, but a given for a compact camera. While it's not making full use of the 4/3s sensor (huh?) it's still a bigger sensor than the Sony/Canon offerings. It might not be pocketable, but glove box friendly? Yup.

I might just get a nice compact camera and keep the DSLR's I have. The more I look at it, the less I feel like getting a D750. Maybe the 20mm f1.8 is in order.

What I have no interest in: Powershot G7X. Seriously Canon, 210 shots per charge? So it might last an hour on a single change? No very useful for serious compact camera.

7D MKII: Impressive specs, FPS especially. Canon did some good things, well sort of. No new sensor tech, just shoved the 70D sensor system and 1DX focus system in the body and called it a day. But it's still a Canon, nothing wrong with Canon, I just would switch brands for the 7D MKII. Now if I was still clinging to a D300 as my primary camera, it might be a different story.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-16, 02:36

I think the canon compacts are probably pretty useable, and I suspect they might handle the sensor data a tad better than Sony. The g7x has got to be on the short list for serious shirt pocket camera even with the limited battery life. Do most compacts struggle here? The lumix likewise has to be considered for cost pocket duties, I think. I'd like to see it compared with Canon's g1x mk2 for that purpose.

Speaking of fast standard zoom lens options for 1" sensors... Why doesn't Nikon have a collapsible 1.7-2.8 optic for the 1 system :erm:
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

2014-09-16, 23:39

Thinking twice about the LX100. I was set to pre-order, but Canadian price is just over $1k, so I'm still looking for the ultimate all in one compact camera with a largish sensor. If 4k video was important to me I'd be all over it, but the price seems high. The lens is great, but err, it just feels a little steep for how I would use it. At $1k, I think I'd opt for a Fuji X-100 series camera...