User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cwc
_Ω_
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to _Ω_  
2015-03-24, 05:17

Fuck yeah. NZ just took out SA at the death.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-24, 05:21

Fuck
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-24, 05:22

Yeah!
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-03-24, 19:20

Rugby?
Elysium
Environmental Bloodhound

Send a message via AIM to Elysium  
2015-03-24, 19:38

Cricket I think.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-25, 07:48

Sorry guys, yes cricket.

In NZ we play rugby in winter (where we basically kick arse) and in the summer we play cricket (where we typically suck).

Recent events have basically promoted us to being one of the best nations on the planet (we are in the finals) and the whole nation is buzzing at the moment. Prior to the tournament we thought we had potential. During the tournament we have played some of the best cricket that the world is taking notice.

All we have to do now is either knock off Australia or India. Can we do it? Fuck yeah!

Whole country is buzzing about a sport they typically could not care less about. The vibe is fantastic.

Angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress
Windswept
On Pacific time

2015-03-25, 21:24

I wonder when and how the game of cricket came about, and who came up with it.

Someone must know. Yes?

And I would imagine that the answer to those questions will probably explain why the game never *really* crossed the Atlantic to the U.S.

Or maybe not.

Is cricket played in Canada?

Just wondering.
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2015-03-25, 21:31

I tried watching some cricket once when I lived overseas for a couple summers but I'll be damned if I could understand the scoring system even slightly. It's very.... English.

That said, Go NZ!

...into the light of a dark black night.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-26, 00:51

Canada used to be a regular at the World Cups - admittedly they were one the worst teams to compete. With the rise of teams like Afghanistan (yes Afghanistan) they have struggled to qualify in recent time.

On the side note the Afghans played really well and were crowd favourites, especially with characters like "Rambo" playing for them. His "cartwheel" celebration, and I use the term cartwheel loosely, was spectacular in its ineptitude.

Variants of the game are played a lot in the Pacific Islands as well, but the origin surely must be England who spread it around the "world" via colonialism. Maybe if you had bowed down to your English overlords you might have had a good cricket team!

thegeriatric
geri to my friends

2015-03-26, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept View Post
I wonder when and how the game of cricket came about, and who came up with it.

Someone must know. Yes?

Just wondering.
Possibly in Kent UK, but it looks like nobody really knows for sure.

As for Rugby " It's a game played by men with odd shaped Balls!" Just thought I'd throw that in here!!

I used to be undecided.....But now I'm not so sure.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-29, 02:38

Oh Noes!

Final on at the moment and the bloody Aussie quicks did a number on us. Rioting in the streets tonight!
Mac+
9" monochrome

2015-03-29, 02:45

Watched the game on Thursday night. India never stepped on the gas. Been working this arvo, but about to head out to pick up some beers and come back to watch the game.

Go Aussies!
(Sorry Omega)

Oh yeah - went out for dinner at Southbank last night and saw Mitchell Starc out for a stroll with what may have been his parents. Young kid.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-29, 05:04

Yay, we got Pup!

Can remember when he first started - hated him with a passion. Not because of who he was, but because of the Aussie commentators who thought the sun shone out of his arse and that he could do no wrong. I sometime wonder if the Aussie commentators were not so one eyed that the team would get more love internationally.

Back to Pup. Great player, and a great send off for him, especially after the year that he has gone through. Mucho respect. Wanker!

Mac+
9" monochrome

2015-03-29, 05:13

Haha.

Great effort by the team. Very strong - well prepared.
_Ω_
Veteran Member

2015-03-31, 04:57

We were O for awesome this World Cup. To get to the finals was an achievement in its self (though we all secretly thought we were going to win - pity we sucked balls on the night that mattered).

What we did win was how we played the game. Attacking cricket, played with respect for the opposition. When we got Pup at the end our senior players went to congratulate him for his career out of respect. In the previous match when we scraped past SA in the final over, the batsmen who won the match consoled the losing bowler, because he knew it was two balls that took him from being zero to hero. And he was born in SA to boot.

Oz may have won this CWC but in the long run our team is the winner.

/moral high ground - because we were so fucking o for awesome this World Cup that we had a parade when our team came home that is how proud we are of them. Learn some humility Australia because it will serve you well in the future.