Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Future Home Storage?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Future Home Storage?
alexluft

2006-04-06, 00:27

Hi all,

I just got a new iBook (my 2nd Mac) and in the process of transferring over data, got a few ideas about how storage really SHOULD work. Here it is (P.S. if anything I describe is not possible, my apologies):

-Currently, most people store all of their data on their computer hard drives or have an external drive attached throught USB or FireWire; some have a networked drive, which simplifies the process of sharing data between computers on the network, since a computer does not have to remain on in order for others to access the data. However, as soon as one leaves the luxury of the home network (and the networked drive), one also leaves the data on that drive and it is inaccessible (and correct me if I'm wrong here).

1) It would be great if one would be able to take that data "with them", or rather - access it from anywhere. Here is what I mean: imagine Slingbox/Orb TV/media streaming software, only with the ability to give you access (through the web - either an application or through a portal) to that networked hard drive.

This way, one would always have access to ALL of their media AND their documents and whatever else they would like to have access to that is on that drive back on the home network.

2) Also, it would solve many synchronization problems/issues if one did not have to download a "copy" of a document, but would be able to open the "original" of the document on the networked drive. This way, synchronization would completely be avoided (and with my experience with it, that's a good thing). Also, people wouldn't have different copies of document on different machines or in different places (Flash drives, work computers, home computers, and anything in between).

3) With this storage model, the only data that would be stored on the computer itself would be the OS and the application data/runtime software.

4) When one gets a new computer, there is no need to transfer over data from one to the next because it's all available on the network drive, ready to be used.

So to recap:
-Data accessible at home no matter the status of computers on the network
-Data accessible on the go in 2 different ways: 1) By using the web and listing the networked drive as a drive in your Finder (or My Computer - for Windows users); 2) By providing browser-based access to the data; data is also available to any device with a browser and an Internet connection (computers, phones, PDAs, etc...)
-No need to synchronize and manage different copies of files on different machines since by accessing the drive, one would not download a copy but work on the original document...
-No need to transfer files between new and old computer when upgrading
-Media can be streamed (think Orb/Slingbox) to any device from the home network - and this way, eliminating the need for storage on media devices (all they need is a good screen and an internet connection)

Sorry for the long post; What do you think? Are there such solutions out there today? Is this where we're headed with storage? I might not have been clear on some points so ask if you don't understand.
intlplby
Veteran Member

2006-04-06, 05:53

how much data are we talking and what speed would you expect?

you can just buy some fact WebDAV space
alexluft

2006-04-06, 09:05

Let's start with at least 200GB - the smallest of the current network drives - and go all the way up to 1TB (or higher)...

Speed on the home network? Gigabit speed?

Speed when accessing through web? as fast as the internet connection will allow...