Built a Hackintosh?

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Built a Hackintosh?
Page 1 of 3 [1] 2 3  Next Thread Tools
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

Send a message via ICQ to alcimedes  
2008-09-10, 20:51

Just wondering if anyone here has done it, and if so how it went. Probably a grey area, but to me it's an interesting blend of an OS that rules with hardware that isn't 3 years behind at 2x the price.

So, anyone?

Google is your frenemy.
Caveat Emptor - Latin for tough titty
I tend to interpret things in the way that's most hilarious to me
Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2008-09-10, 21:07

I haven't, but since my next computer is going to be a Windows box, I'm looking into it. It'd be really nice to have the hardware level I want at a much lower price AND be able to have a nice OS for doing my daily work (Windows would still be needed for games of course.) It looks like it's complicated, but I hope I can muddle through it. If not, well, I tried it on a brand new computer, I can erase and reinstall pure WIndows without losing all my data. ('suming I don't seriously screw up the harddrive.)

Even if Windows-running desktops weren't cheaper for better specs (often), there's always the netbook category. If Apple won't give us a smaller-than-13" and less-than-$500 machine, it'd be great to buy an existing netbook and give it OS X, to have a combination of portability and usability.

(I was wondering if it was okay to ask who's done it so I can PM them for advice, but I figure if a Higher-Up(tm) is doing it, it's safe.)

"A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my anger!" - Darth Baras
twitter ; amateur photographer ; fanfiction writer ; roleplayer and worldbuilder
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-11, 05:24

If you want a netbook, go for the MSI Wind. There are all kinds of tutorials out there for running OS X on it, and the only thing you have to swap out is the wireless card. I would get one right away if I could get one for around $350. eBay in 6 months ought to be good for that.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-11, 06:59

If Apple doesn't come out with an affordable tower soon, I'm probably going to go the Hackintosh route.
beardedmacuser

2008-09-11, 09:49

Yeah, out of curiosity (back in the days when I had spare time ) I got Tiger up and running on an old Dell POS tower (P4, GMA900, etc) and a more modern box (C2D, 76GT, etc).

It's not something I'd recommend as an everyday computer however. You can't access any online Apple service such as .Mac or iTunes Store, for a start (which is a deal-breaker for me). And any update is fraught with anxiety as to whether it'll kill your system or stop something you've spend ages fiddling around in the command line to get running!

However, I found the performance of both machines to be absolutely spectacular compared to my 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook! Even on the 3 GHz P4 Dell OS X screamed! It was a real eye-opener to see why Apple had to move to Intel.

So as far as I'm concerned, a Hackintosh is a fun little side project with which to get to know OS X better, but I wouldn't recommend it as an everyday computer. YMMV.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-11, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
If Apple doesn't come out with an affordable tower soon, I'm probably going to go the Hackintosh route.
It is indeed quite odd that they don't have an affordable tower (with whatever name/description you want to attach to it) in that $1,000-$1,500 neighborhood. Everything they offer in that range has a screen attached (and no access to the guts). And the one thing they do offer is a little square, neglected box that I don't even think they realize they make anymore...and probably nowhere near the muscle someone doing music and video would need.

Very weird.

I've often wondered why more people haven't worked on more widespread, sure-fire "OS X on generic boxes"/roll your own solutions. If you could pair the awesomeness that is OS X to whatever speed-demon machine you felt like cobbling together, that would be a real winner for some.

Those Mac Pro towers are so pricey!

bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-11, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0 View Post
I've often wondered why more people haven't worked on more widespread, sure-fire "OS X on generic boxes"/roll your own solutions. If you could pair the awesomeness that is OS X to whatever speed-demon machine you felt like cobbling together, that would be a real winner for some.
I've been wondering for about year as to why Apple doesn't just release one themselves. I honestly hope one gets announced soon because I'd rather dual boot Windows on an Apple computer than dual boot OS X on a non-Apple computer.

The Mac Pros are waaaaayyy out of my price range and also waayyyy beyond what I need for home computing. It's very frustrating as I want to upgrade my almost (9/23) 4 year old iMac G5 with another Apple, but I refuse to buy another iMac (don't want to throw away a perfectly good display when the guts inside are beyond obsolete).
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2008-09-11, 12:50

That's kind of the boat I'm in. The mini is crap, the towers start at $2k and are massive overkill. I need something in the $1,200 range where I can still use my monitor.

This isn't really the route I want to go, but I'm not seeing a lot of other viable options to get something remotely like what I need without being insane overkill.

Google is your frenemy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-11, 13:30

Exactly. You echo the exact things I've said here numerous times over the years, in various threads like this: a) the mini doesn't cut it for those looking to do some moderately heavy-lifting, b) the iMac isn't for everyone (attached screen and lack of internal access) and c) the towers are so pricey and complete overkill for those doing the "moderately" demanding stuff.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2008-09-11 at 13:54.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-11, 13:49

Hello? Who are you people? Where have you taken the real Applenovians? We've been over this so many times before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
I've been wondering for about year as to why Apple doesn't just release one themselves. I honestly hope one gets announced soon because I'd rather dual boot Windows on an Apple computer than dual boot OS X on a non-Apple computer.
Don't hold your breath. It comes down to this: Apple doesn't want to sell these cheap(er) towers you're discussing. Even though you want to buy them, they don't want to sell them. Really, it's true. They could if they wanted to, but they don't want to.

Knowing this makes it easier to just pick something from Apple's line-up or buy a PC that can boot OS X. What I do is convince myself that I need a portable after all and get a MacBook.

Ugh.
alcimedes
I shot the sherrif.

2008-09-11, 13:52

Ha, I'm not under any delusion that Apple will actually provide a machine that meets my needs, hence this thread.

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this style of workaround, and how it worked out for them.

Google is your frenemy.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-11, 13:54

There's that site devoted to it, somewhere. Do they have a forum? Probably some good info there. Macworld(?) had an article about it a while back. Or was it that PowerPage guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
Hello? Who are you people? Where have you taken the real Applenovians? We've been over this so many times before.

Don't hold your breath. It comes down to this: Apple doesn't want to sell these cheap(er) towers you're discussing. Even though you want to buy them, they don't want to sell them. Really, it's true. They could if they wanted to, but they don't want to.
They'll have one out next week (or at least I'm hoping).

I'm due for a good "hahaha...STFU!" laugh or two.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2008-09-11, 13:59

There was someone on here who built one, but I can't remember who exactly it was.

I just have the feeling that it would be too much trouble to keep everything up to date and have to worry about driver compatibility and other things like that on a daily basis.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
¡Damned!

2008-09-11, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
There was someone on here who built one, but I can't remember who exactly it was.
IIRC, it was Eugene (I remember him mentioning it in the F@H thread).
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-09-11, 14:26

It was Eugene. He references it in his sig, I think...

EDIT: Yep.

Quote:
Windows PC: Q6600@3.4GHz, 4GB RAM, ATI HD3870, 2x500GB HDD, Antec P180B
Hackintosh: X2 3800+@2.5GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI 2600XT, 250GB HDD, Antec NSK4480
Mac: T2300@1.66GHz Mac mini, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD
PB PM
Sneaky Punk

Send a message via Skype™ to PB PM 
2008-09-11, 14:33

Yes. From what I've seen on tech sites you need to make sure you have a number of things in your build.

A 945G or P35 chipset works best, although some have AMD based Hackintoshs. DFI boards or Intel boards seem to work best from what I've seen. Make sure your board has a Realtek audio drive if you want sound.

I've seen them work on a wide range of CPUs, from Pentium Dual Core to Core 2 Quads, Xeons and even some AMD one work.

OSX x86 is a good place to look for info on building a Hackinosh.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-11, 14:45

I believe hackint0sh.org (note the zero) may help as well, but my last few trips there were last year when I was interested in jailbreaking my iPhone.
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-09-11, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcimedes View Post
Ha, I'm not under any delusion that Apple will actually provide a machine that meets my needs, hence this thread.

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this style of workaround, and how it worked out for them.
Yeah, I realize, but the thread was morphing.
CitizenTony

2008-09-12, 00:55

A few months back I bought a new MacBook, but after going through two with varying problems, I gave up and bought a Dell M1330. I spent some time figuring things out, but now have a perfectly functioning hackintosh 1330. Honestly, I can't tell the difference between this one and the MacBook, except for the lack of problems in the hardware.

It's not difficult, and most information can be found at insanelymac.com if you're really interested.

I dual boot Leopard and Vista, which isn't as easy as bootcamp was, but it works well enough. I'll probably get a MacBook again when (if) they stop making them out of plastic. I loved my 12" PB, but don't have any desire for a 15" notebook. 13.3" is perfect and the Dell is quite the nice machine.

If you or anyone else have specific questions, feel free to ask. If this post is against forum rules (some sites frown on this topic), I'll delete it.
beardedmacuser

2008-09-12, 05:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB PM View Post
Make sure your board has a Realtek audio drive if you want sound.
I used an old USB iMic I had lying around. Worked flawlessly for both audio in and out.
rasmits
rams it

2008-09-12, 07:00

If you have the correct parts, it's actually extremely easy. It gets harder when trying to shoehorn OS X onto other name brand computers that weren't designed with OS X in mind.

I got OS X installed successfully the first try on a Gateway laptop by randomly trying it out. It was government owned and had to be reverted back though, so I couldn't play around with it a lot... I didn't have so much luck on my old Vaio desktop, something about SSE2 and southbridges - way beyond my paygrade.

Basically, you should have no problems if you're going to build it yourself. You have access to all the same hardware Apple uses in their machines.

You had me at asl
nikstar101
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to nikstar101  
2008-09-12, 08:22

The thing that stops me doing this is at any point Apple could do something a Mac OS would stop working. And then if you rely on Mac OS to do your work, you are stuffed. Even if it is only temporarily while people find a hack.

I had a hacked iPhone and it drove me mad when new software updates would come out and i would have to wait for weeks while people found a new hack to get round the activation process.

In the end i just bought an offical 3G iPhone and it saves all the hassle and it simply just works. And that is why i own a Mac. I turn my PowerMac on everyday and it just works, no drivers or crazy hardware errors. Simple.
Wyatt
Veteran Member

2008-09-12, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post
The thing that stops me doing this is at any point Apple could do something a Mac OS would stop working. And then if you rely on Mac OS to do your work, you are stuffed. Even if it is only temporarily while people find a hack.
That's why you just don't install updates until you know they're going to work. Let somebody else be the lab rat.

Quote:
In the end i just bought an offical 3G iPhone and it saves all the hassle and it simply just works. And that is why i own a Mac. I turn my PowerMac on everyday and it just works, no drivers or crazy hardware errors. Simple.
That's the thing, though. We now have access to the exact same hardware Apple uses, so hardware errors aren't really an issue if you do the proper research and buy the correct components.
Swox
OK Mr. Sunshine!

2008-09-12, 16:22

I'd like to go the Hackintosh route, but I'd be using it for making music in Logic, and I'd be too scared of instability. The thought of losing a perfect take because I cheaped out gives me chills. Are those fears justified?

Do not be oppressed by the forces of ignorance and delusion! But rise up now with resolve and courage! Entranced by ignorance, from beginningless time until now, You have had more than enough time to sleep. So do not slumber any longer, but strive after virtue with body, speech, and mind!
rasmits
rams it

2008-09-12, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
I'd like to go the Hackintosh route, but I'd be using it for making music in Logic, and I'd be too scared of instability. The thought of losing a perfect take because I cheaped out gives me chills. Are those fears justified?
yes, in the sense that you'd qualify for absolutly zero support should any issues arise in both software and hardware. Even your Logic software would most certainly be denied support. For any professional setting, using a hackintosh is a poor idea (unless you're doing constant, complete backups).

You had me at asl
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-09-12, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmits View Post
yes, in the sense that you'd qualify for absolutly zero support should any issues arise in both software and hardware. Even your Logic software would most certainly be denied support. For any professional setting, using a hackintosh is a poor idea (unless you're doing constant, complete backups).
I agree. If you're doing professional work with OS X apps, you should do it on an Apple computer to ensure support and the ability to apply future updates.
Partial
Stallion

2008-09-12, 22:00

I have. Many times actually. Let me know if you have any questions. The hardest part is finding a decent board, and even that isn't hard. My advice is to get 4gb of ram and disable some of it to 3gb. Otherwise it wigs out at anything about 3.25gb. That's the only issue I've had thus far.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Partial
Stallion

2008-09-12, 22:10

I built mine for 450 and its an absolute power house. I already had a mouse, keyboard, monitor and speakers, though.

I'd go with an inexpensive a-bit or gigabyte board, and one of the Intel E2x0 series processors. I have an E2080 (2.2ghz) that I easily overclocked to 3.6 and it handles everything that I throw at it like a champion.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
Partial
Stallion

2008-09-12, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swox View Post
No. I haven't restarted in about a month or two for anything other than a simple app reboot (installing a new app for example that requires a reboot). It's absolutely rock solid, you've just got to get the initial kinks worked out (plan on about 1-2 hours... plus its kind of fun).

I do all of my development on it (personal projects, that is) in Eclipse and I don't have any problems. Of course, I back my work up with an svn repository online.

Ironically, and I'm not joking, it is FAR more stable than my Mac Pro at work. The ocho-y-ocho (8 cores, 8gb) crashes hard with parallels at least twice a week. Once it crashes, it cannot be re-opened with out it immediately crashing (or bringing the machine to an utter crawl until I force quit the app) until I restart. My Hackintosh is an all-around nicer experience expect for the two 24" monitors at the office.

Partial
Stallion

2008-09-12, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikstar101 View Post

I had a hacked iPhone and it drove me mad when new software updates would come out and i would have to wait for weeks while people found a new hack to get round the activation process.

Why? Just don't upgrade right away. Within a week there's a stable Kalyway hack out. Then you make a time machine image, upgrade, and if it works you're golden, but if for some reason it didn't ( I've never had a problem with it ), you just revert to the time machine imagine. Painless.

Software update informs me of updates, but never installs them without my go ahead.