User Name
Password

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPad Air
Page 3 of 3 Previous 1 2 [3]  Thread Tools
Chinney
Veteran Member

2013-11-11, 11:17

I think that it all comes down to how you use it. It a bigger display is important for typing (as it is for me) or for viewing video or text comfortably, then the bigger size is the way to go. For those who have no problem doing those things on the mini, then there would no reason to get the bigger size.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2013-11-11, 14:51

I'm not too keen on the new Smart Cover. I preferred the four fold set up to the three. I'm guessing the narrower bezels make a four fold design less stable. I would have preferred a leather option too as I don't think the polyurethane is as hear wearing. Time will tell.
Quagmire
meh

2013-11-11, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbulentfurball View Post
I'm not too keen on the new Smart Cover. I preferred the four fold set up to the three. I'm guessing the narrower bezels make a four fold design less stable. I would have preferred a leather option too as I don't think the polyurethane is as hear wearing. Time will tell.
I'm disappointed that there wasn't a leather option either.

Though I do like how the magnetic hinge is covered now instead of exposed metal. My iPad 3 is marked up due to it.

giggity
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-04-27, 09:59

I'm thinking about ordering an iPad today. I haven't had one in a few months and I really, really miss it. I didn't realize how much I used mine until I didn't have it anymore.

Anyway, is there a huge difference between iPad Air and iPad Air 2? Specs are very similar, except for the processor and the finger print scan. I can get a 2 64gb for $539.00 or a 1 32gb refurb from Apple for $389.00. Aside from the aforementioned and the 32gb difference, which should I go with?

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2015-04-27, 10:42

The 2 is actually a pretty big improvement. It's not just a faster processor—with the A8X they went to three cores instead of two. And it also has double the RAM, which is pretty huge. I'd say if you can swing for the 2 you should, you definitely get your money's worth.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
Quagmire
meh

2015-04-27, 10:44

Go for the 2. I get annoyed now that I have to put my pin in my iPad Air after getting used to Touch ID on my 6 Plus( first world problems I know!).

Plus could always use the more processing power which will keep it going longer when Apple slowly kills the performance with every iOS X.0 update.

giggity
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2015-04-28, 14:36

Ended up picking up a 64gb iPad Air 2 yesterday for $539 at Staples. Was a great deal and I've been itching for one for a long time. Going from an iPad 2 to an Air 2, the difference is mind blowing. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. I haven't had a chance to really dive into to much, but already, the speed difference just on everyday common things is night and day.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-08-09, 12:41

I will be making that upgrade eventually. I was just waiting for my iPad 2 to expire first, to justify making the purchase. But my old iPad has remained rock solid, despite years of heavy use (and none too gentle use either). At this point, I tempted to just keep it as an exercise in seeing just how long it can last and as a tribute to a well-engineered piece of Apple technology.

Eugene
careful with axes

2015-08-09, 13:24

Without any moving parts, you're just waiting for the battery to lose enough capacity to the point where it becomes frustrating. I doubt anything else will give out before that.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-09, 14:36

I'm really in that boat. I'm on an iPad 3 right now and other than the size and TouchID I am not compelled to upgrade. Sure it would make my games faster when I play them, but that isn't the main point for my iPad. At least, it wasn't the main point...

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-08-10, 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Without any moving parts, you're just waiting for the battery to lose enough capacity to the point where it becomes frustrating. I doubt anything else will give out before that.
I would have thought that an intensively used and pretty fast processor (for its time) stuffed into a very small space would have been vulnerable to failure. No sign of that on my iPad 2. And even the battery life is still pretty good (and I do not follow any battery-preserving advice or protocols). Actually, even the first generation iPad that I bought for my wife near day one of its original release is still theoretically functional, even though she has gradually smashed the screen over the years so that it is cracked throughout. I have been more careful (or lucky) with my iPad 2 (though I have dropped it a number of times) as my screen is still pristine.

Eugene
careful with axes

2015-08-11, 02:57

It's a processor that uses at most 5 watts, so even if passively cooled, it's a lot better off than a 35-45W CPU in an actively cooled MacBook Pro.

My iPad has gotten warm to the touch, but never uncomfortably hot like many laptops do.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2015-08-11, 09:42

Anecdote:

My dad uses his iPad 1 every darned day, and frequently.

He's never complained about it getting hot.

I just asked him how often he charges it.

He thought for a minute and said he charged it up last night (Monday).

His previous charge was on Wednesday or Thursday.

So about 3-4 days of solid use.

My idea was to get him a new one sometime soon, but you know something?

We're driving this one until the wheels fall off.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-08-17, 16:04

I had an exciting moment earlier this week when I thought my iPad 2 was actually finally going to die, thus allowing me to justify a purchase of the latest iPad. My screen started to go all funny, with pink and blue waves running throughout it, and it stayed that way over a day. I was happily contemplating arrangements for an upgrade to the Air 2.

But then, on a chance, I checked out the Apple help forums and saw several references to the problem I was having, and a straightforward fix. You take the iPad 2 out of its case (if it has one), and give it a very solid thwack with your hand on the back of the device, where the Apple logo is. Sure enough, that fixed matters immediately.

I could barely believe it. I have never heard of that sort of fix for a technological device before. But it seems to be one that worked for almost all people who wrote into the forum, and it worked for me. It kind of made me love my iPad more, like a vintage piece of machinery that you have to give the right sort of 'kick' to to get it going.

Capella
Dark Cat of the Sith

Send a message via AIM to Capella  
2015-08-19, 19:41

My mimi's having a phantom tap issue that is also fixed by poking it sharply on the back.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2015-08-23, 00:23

I tried to beating the back of my daughter's mini and it made no difference. read your fix and was just really hoping it would fix her's. It didn't though. I don't want to buy her a new one yet.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-08-23, 18:21

As I recall (though I am not entirely certain) the fix was for a specific problem (the specific problem I was having) with the iPad 2. It may be something to do with the way it is built. I am not sure that the fix works for other problems and for all versions.

Chinney
Veteran Member

2015-11-23, 13:41

I have posted a few times about waiting for my iPad 2 to die so that I could justify buying a new iPad Air 2. Well, it hasn't died. But it was my birthday recently, and as a gift from my wife I have received an Air 2. My old iPad 2 was still pretty good, but the iPad Air 2 really something else. I am very impressed with its speed and capability. I am enjoying the split screen and native dictation capabilities in particular, which I did not have on the iPad 2. My iPad 2 is still doing service, but now with my son.

I remain a big fan of the iPad as a technological device – there's a lot of computing power packed into that little thing. Mine is the cellular-enabled 64 GB model. My iPad is my 'everything' device: Internet, email, movies, YouTube, music, light word processing (I have written some long documents on it using Pages, albeit, not often - usually it is the shorter stuff and editing), VoIP phone, secure work hub (admittedly, a bit clunky, through Citrix - I hope that the software in that area eventually improves), books, games, organizer, and much else.

Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2015-11-23, 13:56

The iPad is great. The software for it is not (yet).

A lot of opportunity there but it doesn't seem that developers think it is worth the investment at this time.