AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Cheapest RAID 5 for Mac

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Cheapest RAID 5 for Mac
Ebby
Subdued and Medicated

Send a message via AIM to Ebby  
2004-07-29, 18:59

My Bro's drive died again. Another 250GB down the shit-can. His G5 chews through them faster than Cheetos at a LAN party. This time, it took with it a DVD he worked on for almost a year. I had a fairly recent backup by chance but he lost all his music and other files. That is it! I've had enough! I am sick of loosing drives and files. I can not back up every single file on every hard drive; there is just too much! (over 1.2TB!) So I'm looking into RAID. (RAID 5 specifically)

I found one for around $1,200 with some nice features (firewire 800, 400, USB2.0, 3x80GB drives for 220GB space).

That was the SureVault 800 from Kano. They also have a USB only model that looks interesting but if I recall USB takes a lot more processor power than firewire.

I also looked at Iomega's NAS P405u and that looked interesting. Instead of firewire or USB it has a Gigabit Ethernet and 2 10/100 ports, but I am unsure if it will work on a Mac.

Can anyone recommend any cheap RAID 5 storage? I know some of you here have some info.

Cool Stuff: I checked the warrantee on the drive and it is covered so what the heck, I cheked his last drive and it was still covered. Wow! Just for fun I checked the drive in my Beige G3 and... under warrantee which expires in 2 months! Checked my last failed drive and that too was under warrantee! I had 4 drives die, all Maxtor, all under warrantee, and all being replaced! It's gunna feel like christmas in a few weeks.

^^ One more quality post from the desk of Ebby. ^^
SSBA | SmockBogger | SporkNET
¡Damned!

2004-07-29, 20:14

Maxtor drives are teh suck.

If you want decent redundant storage I'd go with a SCSI RAID. Huge Systems have the best bang for the buck, and are pretty damn reliable. I've also got some Medea RAIDs around here, but I've had to send them in for a disk failure once or twice (after nearly 3 years of use). YMMV

So it goes.