User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Speculation and Rumors »

The more I think about it, the more I think Apple messed up the Shuffle. (My Concept)

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
The more I think about it, the more I think Apple messed up the Shuffle. (My Concept)
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-09, 18:08

Don't get me wrong. The iPod shuffle is a solid MP3 player. Unlike the rest of the line, the Shuffle actually does get you good capacity for the money, albeit without a screen. I might purchase a shuffle if I can't gather the money for an iPod mini (or get tired of saving up). It's not that the Shuffle is a bad MP3 player...

It's just that it's not an iPod.

There. I said it. That crossed your mind, when Apple first unveiled it last month, don't deny it. The iPod's most characteristic trait is not its white color, but its interface, and how can the Shuffle have that trait when it has no interface?

I think making the iPod shuffle could be a mistake for Apple. I know we all think that it will be a huge success and triple Apple's market share and all. But I think the Shuffle could be very bad for the iPod brand. The iPod is very stylish at the moment - everybody wants one - and slapping a fashionable brand on lower-end, "it's not really an iPod" product is a quick way to put an end to that.

(I also think that the iPod shuffle might be a tougher sell then we first realized - of course, the "iPod" name will guarantee some people will buy it to be cool, but I've asked many people about it, and many thought that they'd rather have a 256MB player with a screen.)

The iPod shuffle is a great compliment to the iPod - I think that's what Apple wanted it most to be, and that's why they didn't give it a screen - but if Apple really wants to take on the flash player market, they're going to need to change some things.

I present to you my concept for a "real" flash-based iPod. Now, I'm not down with the ways of the Illustrator anything, so I sadly don't have any pictures for you, but try to follow along anyway. Maybe Paul could be my hero and throw together one of his famous ten-minute mockups of it, who knows.

This all came to me at once yesterday, and I really think it's my best idea yet. (Not saying much.) So even if you love the iPod shuffle and think everything I've said above is stupid, I hope you'll try to imagine this Shuffle replacement.

THE NAME: iPod SongCapsule

You might not like it. Personally, I'd hope Apple could come up with something better, but it's what I first thought to call it and it stuck. It also proves some important concepts. All the current iPod's are named "iPod mini" and "iPod photo" and "iPod shuffle" and the like - they're all named as if they're variations of the iPod. Which they are, except for the shuffle. With this name, I capitalized the second word - it's not a version of the iPod, it's a all-new product in the iPod line. "SongCapsule" works to be sorta a "sub-iPod" name, of sorts.

THE PLAYER:

I will try and describe it to you, and this could get tricky. It has a "capsule" shape to it - an enlongated "pill" type of thing, like a white cylinder with domes at the ends. On one of these domes is the headphone jack, which (due to size restrictions) will be the same port used to recharge the unit and move data on to the SongCapsule. (I'm pretty sure that's possible, I'm just not sure if that would be prohibitively expensive.)

The other dome is grey in color, and it is actually used to control the player. It can be rotated both ways, and "clicked in," and these three movements can control the majority of the player's functions. You can use it to scroll through your albums, select an album, scroll to a song, and play it, for example. When a song is playing, clicking in would pause the song, and then resume it. Clicking in twice quickly could return to the menu. While a song is playing, rotating the "Click Dome" would adjust the volume. While a song is paused, rotating the dome will move through the song. It might sound convoluted, how I've written it, but it actually seems to make a lot of sense. It's the SongCapsule's equivalent of the Click Wheel.

Along the "cylinder" of the SongCapsule is a one-line display. At the end of this (far from the Click Dome, but not all the way on the opposite dome) are two grey buttons too skip to the previous and next songs.

The nice thing about such a design is that an option can even be put into the SongCapsule's "OS" to allow left-handed operation - the screen is flipped, the effects of the Click Dome are flipped, and the Back and Next song buttons are reversed. And yes, I have way too much free time.

THE DOCK

The dock is shaped like a dome, with the headphone/power/data plug on the top. The SongCapsule is thus charged in the vertical position. OK, NOW I have too much free time.

THE SPECS

If this sort of device were to be launched, say, at Macworld SF 2006, it would replace the Shuffle and it would be available in two models. 1 GB (250 songs) for $99 and 2 GB (500 songs) for $149. (The 1 GB holds a few more songs then the 1 GB Shuffle because, obviously, the 1 GB needs much more of an "OS," so the space needed for that wouldn't be included in the total memory, as it is on the Shuffle, I think...)

What do you all think? Sorry I don't have a mock-up...

I would buy a SongCapsule SO fast.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-02-09, 18:47

OK, I think I get it...kind of... However, I don't think it's something Apple would make anytime soon. IMO, the iPod shuffle is Apple's attempt to make an iPod without most of the necessary components (the screen), hence the clickwheel. The SongCapsule, while an interesting idea, would be too weird - people simply wouldn't see it as an iPod.

Issues with the SongCapsule: it sounds like if you put it in your pocket, it would be pretty easy to turn the control accidentally. A hold button is needed somewhere. Also, the way I envision it, it's about iPod shuffle sized, with domes at both ends. In this format, it would feel more comfortable holding it in my hand like a stick or tennis racket. It would need to be a bit bigger for it to feel comfortable, but maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-09, 18:58

I don't think it's too weird - or at least, any weirder then the iPod. But of course, it did sorta come from my head. And I can imagine navigating a menu with a rotating dome better then I can describe it. And I drew a nice picture of it. I wish I had a scanner...I guess it really is one of those things that it's hard to envision, until Steve stands on the stage, holding it up high for all the world to see...

It's the magic of Apple, I guess. But it sure makes it hard to describe would-be iPods.

P.S. I think people would see it as just as much of an iPod as the Shuffle is. Probably moreso, as it has a screen, and a control scheme that involves rotating something and clicking it in
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-02-09, 19:15

Resounding
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2005-02-09, 21:48

the iPod Shuffle is selling in the hundreds of thousands. Everyone is talking about it, it's impossible not to see an ad for it, etc.

It's a runaway smash grandslam hit. Apple owns the digital music player market and hasn't made a mistake yet. The iPod shuffle doesn't weaken the brand or line and won't fail.

Go back to the drawing board.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2005-02-09, 22:06

Wow, 'nut. That sounded an awful lot like a M'tosh post. Are you feeling alright?
dougiemac

2005-02-09, 22:12

I'm sorry, but I think it's really weird. I think the shuffle isn't supposed to attact those who like the iPod either. Yes it's an iPod, but like all variations of the iPod they are aimed at different markets/users. I don't need a iPod 20g/40g/photo/mini because I have absolutely no reason to carry around my entire music collection. Hence I haven't bought an iPod 20g/40g/photo/mini.

I did just order my shuffle though, because its built for me and others like me. Those who just like to listen to music... and at 3 minutes a song the 1g holds 12 hours of songs, which will cover me throughout the day. So I can then come home, recharge and shuffle it at the same time while I sleep. GENIUS! Its not designed for those who need a screen, or need their entire collection, so there really isn't anything wrong with it for its target audience. If you think there is something wrong with it, then to that same extent I find something wrong with all the other variations of the iPod.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2005-02-09, 22:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Wow, 'nut. That sounded an awful lot like a M'tosh post. Are you feeling alright?
Why.....thank you!
nomorewindows

2005-02-09, 22:58

I originally had reservations about the shuffle, too. Didn't hold enough music, no display, etc. I have decided to get one, however, for several reasons. My ipod is mainly used in about 25 minute increments. That's the amount of time it takes me to get to the most frequently visited places on the list of places I go to. That means I don't need all of my music at once. When I work out, I could really use something smaller and lighter. I tend to listen to tunes in batches, ie the same group of songs, until I tire of them, then I move on to a new batch. I really don't need to "see" what's playing. I think the shuffle will be perfect for my drive and workout needs. I will still use my ipod for longer car trips and vacations, but the shuffle will certainly add a new dimension to my music habits. Also, it's just so darn small & cute! Will also be a lot less weight in my purse.

"A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other." Baltasar Gracian
johnq
Multi-touch Piñata

2005-02-09, 23:19

After a while I felt that I was spending far too much time idly tooling around on the UI/display of my 15GB iPod and not enough time actually listening to my music. The iPod shuffle is perfect for me. Just listen, no futzing with the UI/display/browsing. Although I would like an iPod photo, I feel the shuffle will be my most-used iPod.

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." - Albert Einstein
mawsdz@msn.com

2005-02-10, 00:10

Interesting concept, the Capsule Idea.

However, I do think the Shuffle is a great idea. I went ahead and bought the .5g version to supplement my 15g 3g iPod. I actually have begun to think of the shuffle as more of an iPod accessory, or probably more like an iTunes accessory, because of the portability and jump drive features. I find it far easier to carry around a few tunes all the time on the shuffle then carry the iPod around all the time. I find that I am using the Ipod for more stationary applications such as car rides and listening through the home stereo while using the shuffle while waiting in an office or wherever I might find time. I found that carrying a TMO Sidekick, a Leatherman, and an Ipod on my belt kind of cast me as a superhero wannabe (probably double emphasize the wannabe kind of guy, you know, ready for anything. At least with the shuffle I'll still be ready, but it will be tucked under my shirt.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-10, 00:11

No offense, roboman, but that just might be the most wrong post ever in history.

I honestly think the shuffle is going to outsell the white iPod and mini, before it's all over. Any "mistake" Apple might've made in regards to it would be NOT designing/manufacturing/releasing it.

I can totally picture what you're saying (it almost looks like one of those little mini vibrators? A pocket rocket, if you will...cylindrical, and rounded on both ends).

Not being smutty, it's just what first popped into my mind (not sure what that says about me)
ironlung

2005-02-10, 00:34

Roboman..ur suggestion of the clickwheel equivalent for the songcapsule has been used for years..especially in minidisk portable players..
Noel

2005-02-10, 00:39

You know what the SongCapsule sounds like to me?

It sounds exactly like one of the remotes that comes with Sony discmans (walkmans, actually — I think they use that name for them now). And I mean exactly.

Those things are annoying to use, too, especially if you can't use both hands.
BlueRabbit
Veteran Member

2005-02-10, 00:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0
No offense, roboman, but that just might be the most wrong post ever in history.

I honestly think the shuffle is going to outsell the white iPod and mini, before it's all over. Any "mistake" Apple might've made in regards to it would be NOT designing/manufacturing/releasing it.
Seriously...I've already seen a couple shuffles in the wild at my school. It took most of a year for the original iPod to show up there, and a couple months for the mini to appear. However, by now iPods are everywhere in my school. Judging by the way things are going, it looks like people are thinking about just getting shuffles instead of large USB flash drives, which makes sense – it's comparatively cheap, and is the exact right shape. I'm not sure if the iPod SongCapsule could do the same.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-10, 00:58

Yeah, I keep forgetting about the role of a USB thumb drive this thing represents. I mean, for months now I've wavered on getting one of those (Lexar, Sony, Fuji, etc. Hell, everybody makes one). I was just looking to get a 128MB one, which is just a bit more than my old beloved 100MB Zip disks I used to use. But now, for $99, someone can get a 512MB shuffle, assign 128MB to it to use for storage and still have 384MB left for music, which will be about 90 songs (at roughly 3 minutes each, that's 270 minutes: 4.5 hours of music, enough for any walking, exercise, commute, lunch, fall-asleep, day trip, etc. usage).

I've got a 15GB iPod, but I still think it would be cool to have a shuffle, just for the file storage/transporation usage AND to randomly toss on a chunk of songs every day (might cause me listen to some songs and artists I might be neglecting)
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-10, 02:07

I have a 4th gen 20GB model and I'm sorely tempted to pick up an iPod shuffle ... and one day a colour iPod - but that will be for entirely different reasons!

what I like about the iPod shuffle
Firstly, the size is fantastic - if coupled with the optional sports case it is the perfect companion to the beach or most other outdoor activities. Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about scratching it. It's the rough and tumble iPod for the masses.
Secondly, as stated above, it is also a glorified USB memory stick thing! Much better that having to cart around a full sized iPod just to download some work files.
Thirdly, if using it for sports activities, being able to see the song title or artist is not a high priority. People seem to forget that the old Walkman never had this feature. Heck, the old cassette Walkman couldn't skip songs instantaneously or offer shuffle play - let alone hold up to 240 songs!

Apple is now catering to practically every segment of the digital music player market. We're spoiled for choice sometimes.

oh ... one more thing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboman
The iPod's most characteristic trait is not its white color, but its interface, and how can the Shuffle have that trait when it has no interface?
I presume by this you are referring to the lack of an LCD as a means of visual feedback for the user? However, this is not the only type of interface. The UI of the iPod "brand" can also be considered the arrangement of transport/volume controls. Although the shuffle does not provide a visual/GUI for the user, the controlling part of the interface (although not a click wheel) is still typically and consistently iPod in terms of song selection and, it might be argued, the toggle play/pause button.

Last edited by Mac+ : 2005-02-10 at 03:59. Reason: reworded a few points
Gizzer

2005-02-10, 06:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel
You know what the SongCapsule sounds like to me?

It sounds exactly like one of the remotes that comes with Sony discmans (walkmans, actually — I think they use that name for them now). And I mean exactly.

Those things are annoying to use, too, especially if you can't use both hands.
My thoughts EXACTLY!! As I read the description that was the first thing that popped into my mind! I used to own a Minidisc player with one of these remotes. I don't agree with the annoying part though - I thought it was really useful, the only thing they did wrong was not have the "twisty selector bit" to freely rotate - it was more like a jog dial with about 20 degrees movement forwards and backwards.

Although I kind of like the idea of a pod capsule, you hit the nail on the head with the simple observation that you need two hands to operate the thing. At the moment all of the ipod family can be operated one-handed. This is an extremely important from an ergonomic perspective....
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-02-10, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac+
oh ... one more thing
I presume by this you are referring to the lack of an LCD as a means of visual feedback for the user? However, this is not the only type of interface. The UI of the iPod "brand" can also be considered the arrangement of transport/volume controls. Although the shuffle does not provide a visual/GUI for the user, the controlling part of the interface (although not a click wheel) is still typically and consistently iPod in terms of song selection and, it might be argued, the toggle play/pause button.
actually that's the one thing I DONT like about the shuffle. the interface IS NOT consistent with the other iPods and its taking me longer than I expected to adjust to pressing the middle button for play and pause and the top and bottom for volume. im so used to using the click wheel.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-10, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscates2.0

I can totally picture what you're saying (it almost looks like one of those little mini vibrators? A pocket rocket, if you will...cylindrical, and rounded on both ends).

Not being smutty, it's just what first popped into my mind (not sure what that says about me)
OK, I know you're on the right track, 'cause it crossed my mind too.

I never said that the Shuffle was a bad move for Apple. I'm glad they're making a flash-based MP3 player. I didn't say it was a mistake to make it, I just said they made some mistakes with it, in my humble opinion.

I also never said the Shuffle wasn't going to be a success - I know it already is. (I think any flash-based iPod would be.) I'm just saying that, out of the people I've talked to, many weren't buying into Apple's "enjoy uncertainty" bit. The people want a screen.

You're all welcome to disagree. I'm not saying that the Shuffle is a sucky Apple design - as an accessory for the iPod proper, or for a more casual iTuner, it's great. It's just my opinion that, if Apple wants to own the flash player market like the do the hard drive realm, they might have to stop being paranoid about a flash player cannibilizing iPod sales and go back to the drawing board...or at least the "we'll add a screen to the Gen. 2 Shuffle" board.

P.S. I realize the need to use two hands to operate the "SongCapsule" is probably it's weakness, but I still feel it would be preferable to hold it in your hands for five seconds then to use one hand to press "Next" and "Back" for a minute, trying to find your song...
Moogs
Hates the Infotainment

2005-02-10, 19:24

Quote:
I know we all think that it will be a huge success and triple Apple's market share and all.

How does one achieve 210% marketshare, exactly?
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2005-02-10, 20:39

I believe the 70% figure was for the hard drive MP3 player market...right?

Oh, and I'm beginning to sorta change my mind. I mean, I still think my SongCapsule idea is a good one, but it's not the iPod shuffle, and it doesn't need to be. I think the iPod shuffle is pretty good...but I still think it was a mistake not to include a screen.

Come on, Apple. Even a tiny three-digit one above the buttons would make me buy one, but NOOOO...

Last edited by Robo : 2005-02-10 at 20:40. Reason: poor math skills
dougiemac

2005-02-10, 21:41

Quote:
I'm just saying that, out of the people I've talked to, many weren't buying into Apple's "enjoy uncertainty" bit. The people want a screen.
But that's what the iPod is for. 10,000 songs require a screen, but there's really no need for a screen with 240 song, except for materialistic needs...
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-10, 22:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of the 'nut
actually that's the one thing I DONT like about the shuffle. the interface IS NOT consistent with the other iPods and its taking me longer than I expected to adjust to pressing the middle button for play and pause and the top and bottom for volume. im so used to using the click wheel.
Yeah I take your point 'nut - specifically I was referring to transport controls (ff/rew) and their circular layout ... the play/pause button was an "arguable" stretch in the analogy. At least the play/pause button works the same as a traditional iPod play/pause (it toggles) but - as you said - it *is not* positioned in the exact same place - thereby losing out on transference of muscle memory and ruining a consistent mental model for the user. Perhaps this will be something that Apple looks at for the rev B iPod shuffle. I certainly hope so!
The Return of the 'nut
BANNED

2005-02-11, 00:10

yea. i mean, it seems simple enough to adjust to a button's different location but....my god....it's been frustrating as hell. :P
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-11, 01:10

Maybe they should've made it just like all the other iPods. Even though there's no screen to scroll through, they could've kept the "scroll action ring" to control volume once a song begins, then have the outer compass points behave the same way (play/pause, backward, forward, etc.). And maybe instead of menu, it could just be an on/off thing. That way, the interface - the control/navigation component, anyway - is indeed the same across all models.

I don't know. I'll probably wind up with one at some point in 2005...I'm guessing I could get a handle on it fairly quickly (I'm still using a 3G iPod, with the four buttons in a row, so I'm not having to "unlearn" any of the 4G click wheel stuff...
Noel

2005-02-11, 02:17

For the people talking about including a screen, let me just point a few things out:
1. It would drive the price up, and they would be reching that magic $99 price point.
2. It would be easier to break, and Apple would end up doing more repairs on something that doesn't need to be there at all.
3. The concept of the shuffle is that you listen to your songs in shuffle mode, thereby eliminating the need for a screen. If you don't want to listen to your music like that, then the shuffle isn't targeted at you, anyway.
4. One-line displays are pointless. All they show is what song's currently playing, but you should know that already because you're listening to the freaking song.
Mac+
9" monochrome

2005-02-11, 05:39

'nut - Frustrating as it is, I think your experience with the iPod shuffle play switch is (unfortunately) perfectly natural - and that's why I'm sort of surprised that Apple's engineers didn't cotton on to the fact when they designed it in the first place. Lack of consistency is a no-no from a usability/human factors point of view!

They were sort of half way there with their "circular-universal" iPod control design ... but the play toggle in the centre sort of ruined it.
JayReding

2005-02-11, 08:30

pscates is exactly right as to why Apple didn't include a screen on the Shuffle. The fact is, you don't need a screen. The Shuffle works great by either going into Shuffle mode or searching manually through a list of songs.

While shopping, I went and looked at all the MP3 players around the Shuffle's $99 price point. All of them were A) ugly as sin B) usually had a capacity of only 256MB and C) won't work with iTunes.

Besides, if you're jogging, driving, etc, how many times do you really look at the screen anyway? It doesn't add sufficient value for enough users to justify the increased costs.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2005-02-11, 09:13

I was thinking this morning about this - some of the trouble some of you have in grasping the shuffle navigation controls - and it's kind of the same thing as OS 9 vs. OS X, and who had the hardest time adapting:

- Longtime Mac users (users of System 6, 7 and OS 8 and 9) seem to squawk loudest and longest when migrating to X. Brand new Mac users - whether they're completely new to computers or migrating from Windows - seemed to ease right in. I've seen in so many times with my own eyes (in fact, I'm going around and around with a co-worker about this currently: if he had it his way, he'd still be using 8.6 probably, and wouldn't entertain any "uppity" notions about OS X ). Conversely, all the Windows users and complete computer newbies I know seem to have jumped right into X with little to no problem (I guess it's not much of a problem "unlearning" Windows...most seemed more than eager to ). But longtime Mac users...for some, it's like pulling teeth to get them comfortable and secure with X.

- Previous iPod users - particularly those with 4G click wheel models (as well as the mini, which served as its inspiration) - are probably having the most trouble adapting to this shuffle.

But to the first time iPod buyer, the shuffle is all they know. No baggage to bring with them, and nothing to "unlearn". And it does make lots of sense: up/down volume, left/right song selection, etc.

I guess Apple split the difference, going for easy-as-can-be screenless usage (making the buttons/compass point functions as obvious as possible), even if it meant a few longtime iPod users might struggle for a day or two.

Hardly an epic, major transition...but still, I could see where it might be a funky 24 hours for some.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2005-02-11 at 09:19.