User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

AirPort Just Stopped Working

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AirPort Just Stopped Working
Dovek916

2012-04-09, 21:20

Ok, So in the continuing saga that is my mbp, I am now struggling to connect to the internet.

Saturday night I shut the lid of my computer like normal, set it on my desk, and went off to go brush my teeth. On a whim, I open it up to check something on the web and it will not connect to the internet over wireless.

Since then:
  • I have not been able to connect on to any of the multiple wireless networks at home or work.
  • I have reset the PRAM, network preferences, disk permissions, and router/modem, no dice
  • I can see it sending packets out, but none come in
  • It works totally fine when I connect to the router via ethernet

So my question is, why did it stop working so suddenly and is there anything I can do to remedy the situation?

Is it likely that my '09 mbp had its wireless card go? Do I have any recourse, or am I going to have to trek to the Apple store?

Thanks-

Drew

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
Dovek916

2012-04-09, 21:50

An additional point is that during this whole time, my housemate's internet connections have not been affected at all, meaning it is solely a me problem, not a we problem.

Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2012-04-09, 22:38

Have you tried looking in System Profiler (System Information in Lion, I believe) to see if the airport card is still recognized?
Dovek916

2012-04-09, 23:07

Maciej- I have. It occurred to me that maybe the physical connection got severed, as that happened last year with my harddrive (Cue overly dramatic PSA about always backing up your harddrive). But yah, in my system profiler (10.6.8) it shows up.

The seemingly weird aspect is that with the wifi turned on, it shows full bars and shows that it is connected to the network. I in fact know that it is not connecting to the wifi networks despite showing reception because their are no inbound packets.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-04-10, 02:05

Did you get an self assigned IP ? If so, try to set one manually. Something very similar happened to me in the past. I was able to avoid it by using the manual IP solution but it was a pain to deal with on public networks and all.

Would have to dig to see how I solved mine... But it's 3am and I'm on my phone . Keep the faith, mine is working now. Maybe you'll be able to fix yours too .

Edit : I'm a nice person so I find the thread about it :P Seems like ethernet wasn't working for me either. There's a solution I posted to fix mine. Don't exactly know what step fixed it but, worth a shot if don't have anything else to try. http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=32569
Dovek916

2012-04-10, 02:39

WOOP WOOP!!

The following "Boo Yah" was brought to you by the letters wifi.

Dmegatool- Taking your suggestion, I tried tooling around with the automatically vs. manually set IP, which was having some, but marginal success. Looking then at your prior thread, I tried "Renew DHCP Lease" and that seems to have fixed it.

So long ethernet cable, I hardly loved you.

dmegatool
Custom User Title

2012-04-10, 10:05

Glad it worked

Before getting too happy, don't forget to test on different networks