Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
Page 9 of 14 First Previous 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13  Next Last Thread Tools
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-23, 03:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Or make the iPhone enclosure out of steel or some other metal that won't fatigue like aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
The iPhone 6 Plus is probably better suited to living in a bag (whether a handbag, shoulder bag, or backpack) than a pocket. Putting something that big in a trouser pocket will be physically uncomfortable at times and will make you look like some kind of Inspector Gadget. I would also be worried about it being subjected to bending forces high enough to cause premature failure of internal components.
You heard it here first, folks! (Mugge has also expressed a worry about this kind of thing on several occasions, if I recall correctly.)
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2014-09-23, 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by addabox View Post
Bendgate it is. We all know there's basically no chance this won't blow up and become a huge viral deal, even if it turns out to be a fluke.
Even if it isn't a fluke, there is no scandal here. It's just common sense. If you put an iPad mini in your pocket, assuming it fit, i'm pretty sure screen cracks would be a common issue.

"We are reviewing some 9,000 recent UNHCR referrals from Syria. We are receiving roughly a thousand new ones each month, and we expect admissions from Syria to surge in 2015 and beyond." - Anne C. Richard, Assistant Secretary, Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-09-23, 09:07

Hell, I even take my 6 out of my pocket when I set down. It's just a little too long to be comfortable.

I can't even imagine having pockets big enough to hold a 6+, yet alone drive for multiple hours with it in my pocket.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-23, 09:17

I had my 6+ in my pocket all day saturday at Cedar Point and had no issues with it and it wasn't uncomfortable at all.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-23, 12:37

What are the chances Samsung has a commercial about this running by the weekend?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-09-23, 12:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
I had my 6+ in my pocket all day saturday at Cedar Point and had no issues with it and it wasn't uncomfortable at all.
I figured it was just this one guy's experience as opposed to anything related to a big batch of iPhone 6+.

Also, super jealous of Cedar Point.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-23, 13:29

For two years, I've gone/been everywhere with my iPhone 5 in my left front pocket. Sitting, standing, bending, stooping, climbing, etc. No issues. But when I started seeing those leaks of the 6 - the 5.5" in particular - I thought "at some point, bigger + thinner is going to create an issue". There's a million things these people may not be saying (and I'm sorry, but if you're wearing those super-tight hipster/emo skinny jeans like I see on so many teens and 20-somethings now and you're trying to squeeze such a large, thin device in there with absolutely zero wiggle/give room...you almost deserve a bit of disappointment), so who knows what's really going on here. When I get my 6s or whatever next fall, if I even get the slightest sense that "hmmm, this much larger and that much thinner is gonna be an issue", I'll change my habits. I'll remove the phone when sitting, use my shirt or jacket pocket, etc.

I'm not a physics guy, but I do understand the basic mechanics of how you can't put 10 pounds of shit into a five-pound bag. These bending stories...the people involved have to be wearing very snug, tight clothing for this to happen (which seems to be left out of the story). I just don't think it's going to happen in a pair of regular-fit (or certainly looser-fit) pants. If so, that's a problem. But until I hear more widespread, "it happened to me and I had on cargo pants, FFS!" stories, I think these particular individuals may be leaving a few details out.

BTW, these "bend" stories are now starting to hit the mainstream news outlets. Which means it's probably about 16-24 hours from full-blown (and overblown) "crisis" mode.

Apple's DOOMED (again)!! Sell your stock, etc.

Last edited by psmith2.0 : 2014-09-23 at 13:55.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2014-09-23, 15:16

I had my 6 in my pocket for about six hours of driving over the weekend and I can't see any bend. That said, I wear loose fit Levi's.
Mugge
Thunderbolt, fuck yeah!

2014-09-23, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post

You heard it here first, folks! (Mugge has also expressed a worry about this kind of thing on several occasions, if I recall correctly.)
You recall correctly. If it's too big for you to practically carry on your person, then it's not practical and you will be tempted to leave it lying around in bags and on tables.

Of course there are exceptions, but if you don't positively know you are such an exception, then the 6+ is not for you.
Dorian Gray
Veteran Member

2014-09-23, 15:28

DxO Labs has tested the cameras of the new iPhones and put them at the top of the pile, with some reservations about the stabilisation of the Plus.
Matsu
Veteran Member

2014-09-24, 06:51

Are people carrying these in the front or back pant pockets? Even the 5 is awkward if you have to sit down.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-09-24, 07:13

My 6 fits fine in the front pocket of my two favorite pairs of jeans. I wouldn't try with a 6 Plus unless I wore cargo pants, sweats, carpenter jeans, or dad jeans. I see people with phablets hanging out of their back pockets all the time, but they always have to take them out before sitting down.

TL;DR, if you don't want to carry a man bag or wear an obnoxious belt clip, get an iPhone 6 or smaller.
Quagmire
meh

2014-09-24, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
Are people carrying these in the front or back pant pockets? Even the 5 is awkward if you have to sit down.
My 6 Plus fits fine in my front pockets. Then again I don't have pants that barely have pockets and have to fight to get anything in them because they are so tight....

And course people at macrumors are in hysteria over this BS. Who is worse at blowing these kind of things out of proportion? Apple fans or Android fans? They are always looking for the new xx-gate whenever a new iPhone comes out. And it isn't freaking hard to grasp. Big aluminum phone in a tight pocket will bend when there is a force applied due to the tight space not leaving the iPhone room to move around, etc. It's freaking stupid.....

giggity
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-24, 07:25

Apple releases new print ads featuring life-size iPhone 6 images.

This seems like the kind of thing that should've been done after the event, in the week-and-a-half leading up to the release. Would've helped people decide, and could've kept many from "buying blind".

Rolling Stone has more readers than MacRumors or AppleNova. Or am I being naive/generous?
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-24, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
My 6 Plus fits fine in my front pockets. Then again I don't have pants that barely have pockets and have to fight to get anything in them because they are so tight....

And course people at macrumors are in hysteria over this BS. Who is worse at blowing these kind of things out of proportion? Apple fans or Android fans? They are always looking for the new xx-gate whenever a new iPhone comes out. And it isn't freaking hard to grasp. Big aluminum phone in a tight pocket will bend when there is a force applied due to the tight space not leaving the iPhone room to move around, etc. It's freaking stupid.....
I'm with you. I've worn "regular" fitting jeans and chino shorts this week and had the 6+ in the front pocket of both with no issues or without it being uncomfortable.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-09-24, 07:47

One of my pairs are Iron Heart straight leg jeans. If I look around at other people's jeans in popular Apple Store-friendly locales, mine are even on the looser side. The other pair are Levi's Vintage 1954 styled 501Z XXs. Those are definitely slimmer all around, but they aren't emo-kid nut-huggers.

The iPhone 6 Plus simply doesn't fit in either largely because the pockets aren't deep enough. Even then I think the average American gadget hound has a slightly warped sense of what qualifies as a regular fit. I think if you have an average-to-fit body, it's nice to wear flattering clothes. Crinkly thighs and billowy legs don't look good on anyone. *shrug*

Last edited by Eugene : 2014-09-24 at 08:08.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-24, 17:03

Good review of the 6 at AI.

Lots of details, and a good read.

Also, to nobody's surprise, the iPhone 6 is less likely to bend than the 6 Plus.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-24, 20:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
... I think if you have an average-to-fit body, it's nice to wear flattering clothes. Crinkly thighs and billowy legs don't look good on anyone. *shrug*
Yeah, but....fashion. Today's skinny jeans look ridiculous by the standards of a few years ago. They'll look ridiculous again, something to laugh over when you look at old pictures. It's just how it goes-- "OMG, look at how wide/narrow that tie/those lapels are! Look how baggy/tight those pants are! Why are the jackets so short/long? LOL!"

So what does and does not look good on anyone is hugely subject to change and the whims of fashion. Personally, I find calf hugging pants to be deeply unflattering to all but the slenderest, and even then you get that odd duck foot effect, where there's not enough hem to drape over a shoe and the feet just seem to stick out like boards. But that's just my eye trained by what I'm used to. I wear carpenter jeans a lot at work, since I do a fair amount of carpentry. The kids at the school I work at may find they look like clown pants (for all I know, don't care) but give it some time and they'll be hip. Or at least not terrible. Skinny jeans, on the other hand, I suspect will end up in the same bin as huge bell bottoms-- adopted about once every 30 years once the shame has worn off.

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Brave Ulysses
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2014-09-24, 20:49

My theory...

Apple did more extensive usage testing with a Sapphire screen for the Plus and the Sapphire provided additional strength to the assembly. The last minute switch back to gorilla glass has resulted in a more bendable product.

Likely wrong... but it seems like Apple really went back and forth till the last minute with Saphire screens for these things.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-09-24, 21:16

I agree, skinny jeans look ridiculous and always will. Slim-tapered, slim-straight jeans aren't skinny by any means.

Last edited by Eugene : 2014-09-24 at 22:23.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2014-09-24, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Ulysses View Post
My theory...

Apple did more extensive usage testing with a Sapphire screen for the Plus and the Sapphire provided additional strength to the assembly. The last minute switch back to gorilla glass has resulted in a more bendable product.

Likely wrong... but it seems like Apple really went back and forth till the last minute with Saphire screens for these things.
Interesting theory. On the other hand, the info I have seen about Sapphire is that it is actually more bendable than Gorilla. Its slight additional give makes it less likely to shatter. Or so I have read.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Eugene
careful with axes

2014-09-24, 23:24

Glass is more flexible. Sapphire is crystalline while glass is an amorphous solid.

My assumption is the converse of BU's. Apple realized the iPhone 6 was bending under stress and decided sapphire was too brittle for the design. In the "bend test" video that's been floating around, the iPhone 6 Plus screen doesn't crack, but it cracked off-camera when he tried to bend it back...

e: Gorilla Glass vs sapphire

Last edited by Eugene : 2014-09-24 at 23:37.
Messiahtosh
Apple Historian

2014-09-25, 09:46

I don't understand all the fuss....haven't people been asking for flexible displays?
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-09-25, 10:45

I don't understand the people who are forcibly bending the phone and then getting pissed that it bends.

Of course it's going to bend when you force it like.

When did people become such asshats?

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2014-09-25, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post
I don't understand the people who are forcibly bending the phone and then getting pissed that it bends.

I don't get it, either. Any modern gadget will bend or break if you give it enough force. It's all ridiculous.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-25, 12:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran View Post

People in general are not very smart.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2014-09-25, 13:57

Apple chimes in on the bending "crisis", saying they've only had nine reports.

Out of 10+ million sold, I'm gonna assume those complaining did something stupid - accidentally or otherwise - and it's just human nature that they didn't volunteer any real specifics (clothing type/fit, activities, durations, stresses, etc.). We are, after all, living in the Golden Era of People Doing Stupid, Irresponsible Shit (and Wanting to Blame Anyone/Everyone Else For It) so it's not a stretch for me to assume that with just nine out of 10+ million (if it was 1,000 out of 10+M, that's still a speck) some carelessness and/or nimroddery is at play (vs. a true design/manufacturing flaw).

It's a non-issue, IMO, because you'd have to assume anyone this has happened to (on an expensive, one-week-old device) has contacted Apple about it. So I believe that "nine" figure. There could be some unreported cases, I'm sure...but those would likely be scenarios of blatant misuse/stupidity, which only proves that the user had more of a hand in it than Apple.

Any pundit or outlet - and they exist - looking to elevate this into some silly crisis or "-gate" should probably be ignored (or ruthlessly mocked and ridiculed). Whichever.

The numbers aren't adding up. 500,000 or 1M? Okay, that would little more widespread and points to a design or manufacturing shortcoming on Apple's part. But nine? Come on. "Antenna-gate" had more legitimacy than this.
addabox
Veteran Member

2014-09-25, 14:51

As sure as the leaves come down in the fall, Apple releases a new iPhone and there is a "gate", Apple releases a new iteration of iOS and it has some bugs, and anything else bad about Apple over the last few month join hands online to fuel "rotten Apple" headlines. It is a fundamental law.

Then, Apple sells a billion phones, subsequent releases of iOS clear up any funkiness, and everybody forgets about whatever missteps, till next time.

Although, I have to admit a guy on You Tube deliberately trying to snap phones in half by applying as much force as possible is a new one. Maybe next year someone can discover that the iPhone makes a poor romantic partner and we can have "date gate."

That which doesn't kill you weakens you slightly and makes you less able to cope until you're completely incapacitated
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2014-09-25, 15:13

Like they always say, if you're coming for the crown, you better not miss. Unfortunately, everyone always misses and like you said, it all goes by the wayside.
Partial
Stallion

2014-09-25, 15:18

Beyond that... saying "Oh, it bent in my pocket" is likely what everyone is going to say when they did something stupid...