AppleNova Forums » Genius Bar »

AppleTV on the go

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
AppleTV on the go
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-16, 20:40

So here shortly I'm going to go on a little time away from home. When I do I don't plan to bring my laptop with me, just my iDevices. So I'd like to bring my AppleTV with me so I can play videos from the iDevices to the AppleTV.

I'm thinking that if I'm going to do this I'll need to bring my travel router and have my devices and my AppleTV on that like I do at home. What other option do I have though? My goal is to pack as light as possible for tech stuff like this.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-09-16, 21:18

You can use the Apple TV and the iDevices directly to one another. No need to put them on a network at all.

Just saw a tweet from Fraser Speirs last week about it.

https://twitter.com/fraserspeirs/sta...87726749515776

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-16, 21:21

That is awesome news! I love that device more now too then. I can travel with a small HDMI cable, power cable and the AppleTV. Then I can stream from my iDevices for things like Netflix or whatever should the move present itself. I had no idea but love it.

Thank you very much.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
kieran
@kk@pennytucker.social

2014-09-16, 21:33

I was surprised to see it to.

Glad I could remember about it. It's definitely something I could see myself bringing next time I travel.

Obviously, I'd test it out and all before hand. Fraser tested it by "forgetting" the networks on each of the device and not allowing them to connect. It's pretty damn cool that you don't need a network to do it.

No more Twitter. It's Mastodon now.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-16, 21:35

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing that as inconvenient as it would be. Then at least I would be able to post here to verify it. I guess I'll make it happen in the very near future and post back my findings!

turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-21, 19:49

Well, I tried and that didn't work at all. Forgot the network on both the AppleTV (3rd Gen) and the iPhone 5S. There was nothing in the AirPlay options.

gsxrboy

2014-09-23, 19:22

An aTV (3rd gen) rev A (making sure both iOS devices are latest os) is required for adhoc networking so they say today. If you have the "old" version, you're out of luck.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2014-09-26, 17:01

I did buy this AppleTV right after it was released. Yeah, it's not Rev A.