Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

I'm so strange!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
I'm so strange!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-14, 21:15

I was realizing today how absolutely strange I am, and it is freaking me out!

I'll use today as an example. I get up early, go run with my cross country team of about 25 people, run around 6 miles. REally quiet and misty out. Most of the kids had plans that revolved around going to work at the grocery store till 5, or taking a nap. Keep in mind the demographics: 15-18 year olds, moderate-liberal. I fit in perfectly.

After practice I go home, eat something, then go to a fabric store to get some burlap for some bass traps I am constructing. I don't know why I know this but you purchase fabric in yards, and I had all my measurements ready. The older lady was treating me like an idiot because I'm not a girl and I am looking for fabric, but I finally got through to her that my measurements were accurate. She looked pretty surprised, but she kept asking me why the heck I needed sound panels for a room.

After that I head off to Home Depot to get some MDF for a pair of speakers that I am building. After I browse around the store I load up a big 4x8 sheet of MDF, pay, and with some guys help I get it partially into my Honda Pilot. Keep in mind I am alone, and I needed some twine to keep the tailgate down, but I asked a nice looking couple to keep an eye on my car for a second while I go get some twine. I get some and tie my best knots, and pray to god it stays on while I'm flying down the highway. Keep in mind I'm wearing sandals (see other thread) and shorts, and look nothing like someone who should be buying a giant slab of wood.

I'm blasting Muse all the way on the highway, holding the MDF in one hand and steering with the other for about 20 minutes. I arrive at my grandpa's workshop, and he really want to go watch 1200 motorcycles take off about 10 blocks down the road. I was like, "WTF?", but I was curious.

I joined this mob of god-fearing Republicans blasting classic rock and roaring around on their motorcycles, and people are all talking and having conversations with me about hot-roding and engines and stuff like that, and I actually knew what they were talking about. The main street was full of bikes and all at once they fire their engines "For the troops!!!" and make a really loud roar, and then they all roll out eventually to go cruising somewhere. 1200 bikes in this tiny little town. Again the demographics: Middle-aged, overweight, conservative. Still I fit in somehow.

I work on the cabinets with a radial arm saw, a router, a few special tools and a lot of pencil marks I spent most of my day doing this and it was kind of uneventful.

Now I'm back at home updating my website and checking a forum and conversing with people on the other side of the world. I think I fit in alright here

Tonight I'm heading out to hang out at my college friend's apartment, with a bunch of college people. Another 180 from just a few hours ago. But I still fit in fine.

I guess what I am saying is that I really don't have a real niche that I fit in. I have friends but I don't hang out 24/7 or really do a whole lot of things with them. I rarely go to high-school parties, but yet I'm still pretty popular and can talk with about anyone in the school. OTOH I really don't have any real close friends either that I hang out with a lot.

This is why I would love to move overseas soon, and settle down with people like me.

Anybody else as strange/involved in random crap as me?

Last edited by World Leader Pretend : 2007-07-14 at 21:42.
Wrao
Yarp

2007-07-14, 21:18

Sounds like you're a pretty typical dork to me.
MBHockey
skates=grafs

2007-07-14, 21:43

i'm confused
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-14, 21:43

Yeah, I figured so. I have no life.

Thank God I've got time to develop one!
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2007-07-14, 22:13

I've got friends and people I do things with who are all over the political, ideological and cultural chart. I fit in fine everywhere because I'm just me. If anything, I have more friends and people I hang out with who aren't like me politically and so forth (when music and art are the two biggest chunks of your life, making up your career and your hobby, you don't find too many right-of-center types running in those circles). But bear in mind that I'm quite middle-of-the-road (if not outright tilting left) on a couple of issues, so I think my life, and how I live it (and the people I have in my life) reflect that pretty well.

I never really think about it, really...other than to know that I've got some people I can tune into Rush when they're in my car and know that I'm not going to get beaten to death. And then I have others who, just out of courtesy, I put it on music because I'm not up for the drama and caterwauling.

Partial
Stallion

2007-07-14, 22:36

If you just be yourself and be honest people will almost always like you.

People can spot a phony from a mile away.
EmC

2007-07-14, 22:54

I agree. It sounds like you are just a level-headed person who is easily liked by all.
zsummers
Avast!

2007-07-14, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensdanny38 View Post
If you just be yourself and be honest people will almost always like you.

People can spot a phony from a mile away.
I pretty much agree with this one--though I think the honesty point is more straightforward.

On "being oneself," I've always found this website hilarious and oddly appropriate: How to be yourself.

I've never quite known what "being oneself means" (or dancing like no one is looking, etc.). Be yourself? Well, you kind of always are. But I suppose I'm good at it, if it means one is comfortable with pretty much anyone--WLP's day feels pretty normal (my wedding will be a lot like that--from ivy-league progressives to small-town christian fundamentalists to urban party hounds to suburban wastelanders).

But I've always thought the better (and maybe more accurate way) of stating the thought behind "be yourself" is something like, "Stop trying to manipulate how others see you. And be open-minded."

Anyone else want to take a crack at expressing it differently? Because the link above sort of points out the complexity of "being oneself."

p.s (After posting, I wonder if this is a funny trick by WLP to get all of us to show up on the forum front page with "I'm so strange" followed by "by [insert screenname]." Perhaps I'll start a thread: "I'm a jerk." )

"How could you falter / when you're the Rock of Gibralter? / I had to get off the boat so I could walk on water. / This ain't no tall order. / This is nothing to me. / Difficult takes a day. / Impossible takes a week."
Stone Of Love
Veteran Member

Location: Detroit City is the place to be...maddog town gonna set you free
Send a message via AIM to Stone Of Love  
2007-07-15, 01:41

I'd have to say, not all of us "classic rock" lovers are "God fearing Rebulicans" in nature!

Some of us know how to hug trees!!
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-15, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsummers View Post
p.s (After posting, I wonder if this is a funny trick by WLP to get all of us to show up on the forum front page with "I'm so strange" followed by "by [insert screenname]." Perhaps I'll start a thread: "I'm a jerk." )
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-07-15, 05:57

But at least you're not as far as some sort of Red Blazer degree of strange.
julesstoop
Veteran Member

2007-07-15, 07:09

You seem like a pretty cool guy, WLP.
A trifle restless perhaps, but definitely interesting and open minded
World Leader Pretend
Ruling teh World

2007-07-15, 12:38

Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not too crazy.

I'd like to hear more about you guys. Do you have lots of scattered friends like scates and I, or do you just have a few really close friends? I think this stuff is really interesting...
drewprops
Space Pirate

2007-07-15, 15:16

What's interesting, and sad in some ways, is that people think that they MUST fit into some group, somehow. Societal pressure never goes away... the coolest people I know are the kind who don't give a fig about what other people think. They state their opinions, and if you disagree with them they don't stop liking you.

My advice?
Parsimonious assholes will line the route of your life. Wave to them as you run past.
You can quote me on that.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-07-18, 13:33

How about this...Yesterday I came across an app that alters voices somewhat convincingly (with some effort) into whatever you want. So I anonymously sign onto random WoW guild Ventrilo/TeamSpeak servers to mess with people...

1) http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/voicechanger.mp3 ... This was an early attempt at achieving a female voice using a simple phrase with all monosyllabic words. My friend Gael is the victim.

2) http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/yummy.mp3 ... Working in a pitch change with a moan. Still Gael.

3) http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/kevz.mp3 ... Getting more complex here. This time my victim is Quest, a sponsored WoW player.

4) http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/kevz2.mp3 ... Refining the inflection and tempo to be as girl-like as possible. Unfortunately my voice is a bit too low and coarse for the software so it's not as convincing as I hoped.

That was about 45-60m of practice.
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-07-19, 01:03

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/surprise.mp3
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/comparison.mp3
Partial
Stallion

2007-07-19, 02:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Leader Pretend View Post
Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm not too crazy.

I'd like to hear more about you guys. Do you have lots of scattered friends like scates and I, or do you just have a few really close friends? I think this stuff is really interesting...
Well, I have a circle of a few very close friends. However, I also have a large network of people that are involved in a wide variety of activities and have many different talents.

I think the key to becoming a well-rounded person is to listen and try to learn from everyone.

My best couple of friends are my girlfriend and a couple of guys whom I know extremely well and can talk to about anything. I don't think I have a ton in common with any of them besides our sense of humor and quick wit, but I can talk to them about anything for hours.

...and calling/e-mailing/texting ex-girlfriends on the off-chance they'll invite you over for some "old time's sake" no-strings couch gymnastics...
curiousuburb
Antimatter Man

2007-07-19, 04:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
How about this...Yesterday I came across an app that alters voices somewhat convincingly (with some effort) into whatever you want. So I anonymously sign onto random WoW guild Ventrilo/TeamSpeak servers to mess with people...
Is that the MachineHead App or something else?

Got linkage?
Eugene
careful with axes

2007-07-19, 05:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousuburb View Post
Is that the MachineHead App or something else?

Got linkage?
Nah some trialware Windows app called AV Voice Changer.
Schnauzer
Veteran Member

2007-07-22, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrao View Post
Sounds like you're a pretty typical dork to me.
Haha sounds about right