Password
AppleNova Forums » AppleOutsider »

Discussion of recent and upcoming movies

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Discussion of recent and upcoming movies
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-29, 10:57

I don't go to see movies very often. Usually only about once a month, or less. Combined with the fact that I rarely or never watch TV, I end up not really knowing what movies are out and which are coming up.

So, I just saw one over the weekend. "What The Bleep Do We Know," about quantum physics and philosophy and stuff. Very interesting and thought provoking. And while I was there I of course saw the ever-expanding reel of previews they show now.

I forgot what the name of the movie is but one of them looked just awful... it's about some kid who replaces an older guy and becomes his boss, then falls in love with his daughter. The young guy is played by the guy who's on That 70's Show.

The other one that caught my eye was "Closer." It has Julia Roberts in it (uh oh) but it also has Natalie Portman, as a stripper no less! From the previews it looks okay, but then it's hard to tell anything from previews of course.

Anyway, after I see these previews, there's no way for me to get more information about the movie since the official movie sites suck ass. Anyone else have a current or upcoming movie they want to talk about?
EmC

2004-11-29, 14:28

I saw National Treasure a week ago. It was OK, especially if you have read and liked The DaVinci Code. I also saw Christmas with the Kranks this weekend, it was not worth my $7.25. The only movie I have seen in the past 6 months that I would happily pay to see again is Team America:World Police. Then again, I'm generally known as an a**hole and an equal opportunity hater.

What Adobe Updater‽ What‽ What‽ WHAT‽
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-11-29, 15:12

This week we rented Elf and The Terminal. Elf is a cute family movie and The Terminal was awesome.

The Incredibles was the best film of the year, IMO, and the Star Wars teaser got my blood flowing for May 19. Can hardly wait.

Also, my daughter will be excited about Pooh's Hefalump Movie in February.

- AppleNova is the best Mac-users forum on the internet. We are smart, educated, capable, and helpful. We are also loaded with smart-alecks! :)
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. (Mat 5:9)
SKMDC
superkaratemonkeydeathcar

Send a message via AIM to SKMDC  
2004-11-29, 17:54

luca, if the Topher Grace (kid from That 70's Show) movie you're talking about is P.S. it's actually supposed to be quite good in an "indie" sort of way. I heard his performance is exceptional.
Ebert gives it three stars.

"What's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
HOM
The Elder™

2004-11-29, 18:19

Go see Sideways. It is by far the best movie I've seen this year.
Xaqtly
Veteran Member

2004-11-29, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherer

The Incredibles was the best film of the year, IMO, and the Star Wars teaser got my blood flowing for May 19. Can hardly wait.
Ding badda ding bing! Incredibles = best film of the year. Star Wars Ep 3 looks fantastic.
Luca
ಠ_ರೃ

2004-11-29, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMDC
luca, if the Topher Grace (kid from That 70's Show) movie you're talking about is P.S. it's actually supposed to be quite good in an "indie" sort of way. I heard his performance is exceptional.
Ebert gives it three stars.
Actually the name of the movie is "In Good Company." It's not that I think Topher Grace is a bad actor. I don't think the casting is bad - he seems to fit the part well. It just looks like a cruddy, cookie-cutter romantic comedy, complete with "Solsburry Hill" playing during the trailer. I mean, come ON.

Though I do admit, half of "Closer"'s appeal to me is because it has Natalie Portman looking sexy in it. She's hot. Still, it doesn't look like quite as contrived as many movies with similar themes.
Chinney
Veteran Member

2004-11-29, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
[...]

Though I do admit, half of "Closer"'s appeal to me is because it has Natalie Portman looking sexy in it. She's hot. [...]
It appears that there are a number fans of Ms. Portman's around here. I've always thought, from the first time that I saw her in a movie, that she had the promise to be really something. She comes across as both smart and sexy - a killer combination. And she can act.

When there's an eel in the lake that's as long as a snake that's a moray.
Ryan
Veteran Member

2004-11-29, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca
And while I was there I of course saw the ever-expanding reel of previews they show now.
What is it with those? I saw Incredibles at last week, and got through the previews, and they played the little Century Theatres thing the the spotlights and then another trailer. Haven't I seen enough?
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2004-11-30, 10:10

I just can't wait until I can see The Motorcycle Diaries... ugh, I hate being in a super-small town.

I may just have to wait for it to come out on DVD.
kscherer
Which way is up?

2004-11-30, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOM
Go see Sideways. It is by far the best movie I've seen this year.
I've heard that. Guess I'll chalk it onto my list.
SledgeHammer

2004-11-30, 14:35

Overall, I think I am mostly replying to agree with what has been said already. I loved The Incredibles; I would happily pay to see it again (alright, I would pay to see it again, I'm never happy to shell out the $9.75 for a movie ticket, but I do it anyway). I would also probably pay to see Team America again. I will definitely be buying both of those movies when they land on DVD. I have a friend who's on a cross country road trip. He wants to go into film making, and while he was in Seattle, he managed to get invited to the premier of Sideways. Afterward he got to hang out with the film makers. I have heard good things about it from him and everyone else I've heard say anything about it. I too am looking forward to Closer. I really like Julia Roberts and Natalie Portman as actors and as beautiful women. I have to be honest: I was disappointed to hear that Miss Portman's nude scene was replaced with a more covered version, but oh well. That would just have been icing, I think the movie looks pretty good.