User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » General Discussion »

Hackintosh for dummies

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Hackintosh for dummies
hflomberg

2011-03-11, 00:24

I hope this is the right forum. Anyhow - I have a little ASUS which has had at different times XP and Ubuntu. Is there a simple guide to turning it into a Hackintosh? I'll follow ALL copyright laws - I have to I'm a writer - Promise. If I get caught violating copyright - I'm in serious doodoo - really.

How do you read 80 column cards on this computer?
dmegatool
Custom User Title

2011-03-11, 00:35

Yeah right, it's just that installing OSX on a non-Apple computer IS violating the law... Just saying.

Guess other members will be able to help you though.
hflomberg

2011-03-11, 00:37

Note - I'm using my real name. If that's the situation - I won't go any further. Back to Ubuntu
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-11, 00:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmegatool View Post
Yeah right, it's just that installing OSX on a non-Apple computer IS violating the law... Just saying.
Well, technically that's violating the EULA, and EULAs are supposed to be binding contracts, but I'm not sure how well (or if) they have been held up in US courts as such.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
hflomberg

2011-03-11, 00:53

Lawyer!!!!!
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-11, 01:39

Personally, I wouldn't let the fact that Apple doesn't like you to do it stop you. I have tow hacks and I can say if you're not up for the continuing effort to make it run you might want to steer clear anyway.

Personally, I like my hacks. I have a Dell Mini 9 and my Beast i7 920 that's over-clocked. So here's the thing though, when you're using a prebuilt system it's a little harder to make things work.

The Dell Mini 9 is much like the Mac Mini so most everything just works. It's still running 10.5.8 though due to the drop of support for N270 by Apple. I'd find a few forums where people have been hacking those machines to find what works best.

I use the EFI hack since it works best with 10.6 on Beast and a custom build for the Mini 9. The custom build is based on the EFI hack too.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-03-11, 06:38

I like tonymacx86.com for my hackintosh needs. Start there.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-11, 21:52

I used OSx86 personally for my i7 920 and MyDellMini for my Mini 9.
arteggio

2011-03-11, 22:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
I have two hacks and I can say if you're not up for the continuing effort to make it run you might want to steer clear anyway.
Every point update (like from the current 10.6.6 to the future 10.6.7) that you install is essentially like having to rehack the netbook each time. It might be slightly easier because you can usually install the update from within the OS and just run the required hacking tools from in the OS too (if it works for the ASUS like it did my Dell Mini 10v), but it requires some dedication.

On the other hand getting a stable version of the OS up and running with most of its features functional and then leaving it that way shouldn't be hard if your model is well documented. The sites that torifile and turtle linked to should help.
tomoe
Veteran Member

2011-03-11, 23:04

I like the idea of hackintoshes, but if one really has to rehack the OS for each update that would be a TDB. If I wanted that sort of tedium/frustration, I would use Linux...

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2011-03-12, 00:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoe View Post
I like the idea of hackintoshes, but if one really has to rehack the OS for each update that would be a TDB. If I wanted that sort of tedium/frustration, I would use Linux...
Some setups use a "vanilla" kernel and minimal custom kexts which means they can (generally) take OS updates with ease.

Not that I speak from experience.

Also, I'll second torifile's mention of tonymacx86's resources, especially his iBoot images and MultiBeast installers.

The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts. The only way to guarantee thoughtful, informative discussion is to write thoughtful, informative posts. AppleNova is not a real-time chat forum. You have time to compose messages and edit them before and after posting.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2011-03-12, 01:11

*Runs off to check out tonymac86
torifile
Less than Stellar Member

Send a message via AIM to torifile  
2011-03-12, 21:44

My hack runs a vanilla kernel and has been largely problem free through updates. The only thing I've needed to patch after an update recently is the video card. For that, I use netkas.org and I just wait until he gives the all-clear or updates his patch for my 4890 before updating. Generally, that occurs within a couple of days of a release.

If it's not red and showing substantial musculature, you're wearing it wrong.