User Name
Password
AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
MacFUSE: FUSE for the Mac!
Page 7 of 13 First Previous 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  Next Last Thread Tools
ssurfer

Send a message via ICQ to ssurfer Send a message via MSN to ssurfer Send a message via Skype™ to ssurfer 
2007-01-25, 09:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOfGed View Post

Both MacFUSE and NTFS-3g are built as Universal Binaries, so they should work for both PowerPC and Intel. NOTE: I've not yet tested it on either one, since I have no NTFS partitions right now. I followed chucker's instructions to build them, so it should be OK.

The NTFS-3g installer requires that you have the MacFUSE package installed first, so install them in this order:
  1. MacFUSE 0.1.0b4. This installs MacFUSE and its dependencies.
  2. NTFS-3g Beta 2007-01-02. This installs the Universal ntfs-3g tools.
Yellow all,

I've done exactly as it says here (using the latest versions of both files) but...
When I try to install NTFS-3g (after installing macfuse) the installer gives me the following message:
"You cannot install NTFS-3g on this volume. macfuse_required"

The screencapt is attached...

Any ideas?

TIA

CU
Hugo

Last edited by ssurfer : 2007-01-25 at 09:50. Reason: missing information
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-25, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssurfer View Post
Any ideas?
It's looking for the old MacFUSE package that I had put together, which is no longer relevant or available. I mentioned the forthcoming changes in this post, but forgot to mention that the current package won't work.

I'll hopefully have the new packages ready within the hour.

Apparently I call the cops when I see people litter.
chumsdock

2007-01-25, 11:53

is there any PKG install files for fuseftp/ftpfs ?
I tried to hack but failed.
ssurfer

Send a message via ICQ to ssurfer Send a message via MSN to ssurfer Send a message via Skype™ to ssurfer 
2007-01-25, 13:39

Quote:

I'll hopefully have the new packages ready within the hour.
Could you be kind enough to tell me where you are going to post the new file???

Thanks
CU
homer007

2007-01-25, 14:36

Quote:
Could you be kind enough to tell me where you are going to post the new file???

Thanks
CU
here ofcourse!
ErBiC

2007-01-25, 17:08

Waiting with baited breath...[/cliché]

So much for "within the hour".

JK, take your time. I understand this stuff is harder than it looks.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-25, 18:56

Alright, I know I've been building anticipation for about two days now, but this time I'm here to deliver!

There are now two packages, which are "MacFUSE Tools" (for any FUSE filesystem), and then NTFS-3G, for all of our NTFS needs. There are a variety of flavors. You can download individual disk images for each, or a "Full" one that includes both MacFUSE Tools and NTFS-3G. Here they are:
For the list of new features, see my previous post. Documentation is now included in the downloads, so see if those files can answer your questions. REMEMBER TO UNINSTALL OLD VERSIONS FIRST! See my earlier post for instructions on that, too.

The only problem that didn't get resolved was/is the Finder fixes. For some reason, waiting on the MacFUSE notifications still doesn't fix it. I'll poke around inside the NTFS-3G code to see if I can find the cause later, but I'm not going to delay the release any further. The new MacFUSE notification listeners are working, so the hard work (aside from any NTFS-3G patching) is now done.

That's it for now! I've run tests myself, and I can read, write, mount, unmount, format, and verify without trouble. The shutdown problem is fixed by the addition of fuse_daemon from MacFUSE Tools. If any other issues crop up (aside from the Finder problem), let me know!

Enjoy, everybody!

ErBiC

2007-01-25, 19:08

Excellent, works flawlessly. I now have full, automounting read-write access to my Vista partition. And the fuse_daemon seems to be alleviating the really long shutdowns.
Nice work, ShadowOfGed!

Last edited by ErBiC : 2007-01-25 at 21:21.
ssurfer

2007-01-25, 20:10

Quote:

If any other issues crop up (aside from the Finder problem), let me know!
Yellow,

Well is just me or this doesn't work for USB 2 External drives with NTFS partitions?
I have an USB 2 external drive with 1 NTFS partition. Automount doesn't work anymore but the drive and partition shows in Disk Utility. When I select the NTFS partition and click mount the button stays down for 10 sec but nothing happens.

As you can see in the images the disk shows as read/write but no mount...

Any ideas???

Thanks
CU
ErBiC

2007-01-25, 21:19

All right, what gives? I can't see my NTFS disk in the Startup Disk prefpane. I've already performed the fix listed here, changing
Code:
<key>NTFS</key>
to
Code:
<key>NTFS-3g</key>
but Startup Disk still refuses to see it even after a system reboot.

And the disk is bootable... it contains my Windows installation.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-25, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBiC View Post
All right, what gives? I can't see my NTFS disk in the Startup Disk prefpane. I've already performed the fix listed here, changing
Code:
<key>NTFS</key>
to
Code:
<key>NTFS-3g</key>
but Startup Disk still refuses to see it even after a system reboot.

And the disk is bootable... it contains my Windows installation.
Because Startup Disk is looking for drives that are mounted by Apple's NTFS driver, so when anything else takes ownership of the drive, it doesn't list it.

For that to work again, you'd need to add the .ntfs-readonly file. Alternatively, just hold down the Option key when your Mac reboots (or turns on), and it will let you select the boot volume from there.

This isn't a problem with this package, it's a problem with how Startup Disk identifies bootable NTFS partitions.

ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-25, 21:31

Quote:
Well is just me or this doesn't work for USB 2 External drives with NTFS partitions?
I'm perplexed too. My only test NTFS partition is on an external USB2.0 hard drive, and it works great for me.

Is there any chance your NTFS volume was not cleanly unmounted by Windows? Try mounting it from the command line and see what the output is:
Code:
sudo mkdir /test; sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk?s? /test; sudo umount /test; sudo rmdir /test
So... it works for me. There's no reason USB2.0 should have any effect on this working. There's probably a deeper problem. Replace the question marks with the appropriate numbers to identify your NTFS partition. To get the device, look at the "info" dialog for the NTFS partition in Disk Utility.

Hope this helps.

interinv

2007-01-26, 05:26

I got:
NTFS-3G didn't act at SYSTERM
FUSE_daemon didn't act at SYSTERM
seaAudio

2007-01-26, 10:48

Quote:

The only problem that didn't get resolved was/is the Finder fixes. For some reason, waiting on the MacFUSE notifications still doesn't fix it. I'll poke around inside the NTFS-3G code to see if I can find the cause later, but I'm not going to delay the release any further.
NIce job, and what a fast turn around!

I've read the entire thread and can't figure out; is there a workaround for the Finder issue and moving files to or creating new on the NTFS volumes? (I'm new to OSX, longtime MS admin). Sorry if this is basic stuff...

Last edited by seaAudio : 2007-01-26 at 11:09.
chucker
‽

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2007-01-26, 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaAudio View Post
is there a workaround for the Finder issue and moving files to or creating new on the NTFS volumes?
You're likely referring to the same issue that makes all files appear as "0 bytes". This is an out-of-sync issue. You have to relaunch the Finder.

To do so, do one of these:
A) In the Apple menu, pick Force Quit…, choose Finder from the window that appears, and click Relaunch.
B) In Terminal, type in "killall Finder" and hit the Enter key.
C) In Activity Monitor, select Finder, click Quit Process, and select Quit. Then, in Dock, click the Finder icon to launch it again.

This should make Finder retrieve the proper information of the NTFS volume, and most operations should now work as expected.
seaAudio

2007-01-26, 11:09

Perfect. Thanks for spelling it out to a n00b...
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-26, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by interinv View Post
I got:
NTFS-3G didn't act at SYSTERM
FUSE_daemon didn't act at SYSTERM
What else was in your log? Did you have any other filesystems that were not quitting?

It's possible that fuse_daemon was trying to unmount drives (synchronously) and got hung up waiting for one that was already dead. I can change the code to do asynchronous unmounts.

EDIT: Looks like asynchronous unmounts wouldn't really solve the entire problem. It'll also require lots of changes to fuse_daemon. fuse_daemon still wouldn't be able to quit until all unmounts succeed, but at least it'd be able to issue all of the unmount commands first.

Last edited by ShadowOfGed : 2007-01-26 at 13:44. Reason: Reference manuals FTW
interinv

2007-01-26, 14:35

i have 3 ntfs:
NTFS-3G didn't act at SYSTERM repeated 3 times
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-26, 14:42

Quote:
i have 3 ntfs:
NTFS-3G didn't act at SYSTERM repeated 3 times
I can't help fix the problem unless you give me more detailed information than that.

It works for me and other people, so there's clearly something specific to your configuration that's causing issues we can't see. I'd like to fix it, but I'm going to need a lot more information, because I can't reproduce those problems anymore.

ErBiC

2007-01-26, 15:05

Quote:
Because Startup Disk is looking for drives that are mounted by Apple's NTFS driver, so when anything else takes ownership of the drive, it doesn't list it.

For that to work again, you'd need to add the .ntfs-readonly file. Alternatively, just hold down the Option key when your Mac reboots (or turns on), and it will let you select the boot volume from there.

This isn't a problem with this package, it's a problem with how Startup Disk identifies bootable NTFS partitions.
Aight, I get it. It's just that the wiki article on the Google Code page seemed to imply that you could make FUSE-mounted drives visible in Startup disk by changing that line. That's what I thought would happen. Guess not. I think that article is unintentionally deceptive.
interinv

2007-01-26, 15:17

Quote:
I can't help fix the problem unless you give me more detailed information than that.
Tell me please, what info do you need? and I'll give you all possible
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-26, 15:43

Quote:
Tell me please, what info do you need? and I'll give you all possible
Could you save copies of the logs, and get a copy of your System Profiler report (with NTFS volumes mounted)? Email them to me at (my username) at gmail.com. It's easier than trying to copy/paste those files; there's a lot to them. I'll see what I can figure out.

Also let me know (via email) if you've used any other FUSE filesystems like SSHFS, etc.

Thanks!

interinv

2007-01-26, 16:29

Quote:
Could you save copies of the logs, and get a copy of your System Profiler report (with NTFS volumes mounted)? Email them to me at (my username) at gmail.com. It's easier than trying to copy/paste those files; there's a lot to them. I'll see what I can figure out.

Also let me know (via email) if you've used any other FUSE filesystems like SSHFS, etc.

Thanks!
Sent
Built Like A Rock

2007-01-27, 01:34

Quote:
What else was in your log? Did you have any other filesystems that were not quitting?

It's possible that fuse_daemon was trying to unmount drives (synchronously) and got hung up waiting for one that was already dead. I can change the code to do asynchronous unmounts.

EDIT: Looks like asynchronous unmounts wouldn't really solve the entire problem. It'll also require lots of changes to fuse_daemon. fuse_daemon still wouldn't be able to quit until all unmounts succeed, but at least it'd be able to issue all of the unmount commands first.
I tried the fuse tools with fuse daemon as well and that didn't do the trick on slow shut downs on my system. If you could tell me what I need to do to log what happens that would be great and maybe I can send my data as well to you if you don't mind. Thanks.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-27, 01:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Like A Rock View Post
I tried the fuse tools with fuse daemon as well and that didn't do the trick on slow shut downs on my system. If you could tell me what I need to do to log what happens that would be great and maybe I can send my data as well to you if you don't mind. Thanks.
While your NTFS volumes are mounted, open a Terminal and run the following command:
Code:
sudo killall -TERM fuse_daemon
That will cause fuse_daemon to unmount all of your FUSE volumes (NTFS-3G included), regardless of whether or not Finder can see them.

If this works while you're logged in, it should work during shutdown. The only reason fuse_daemon would hang after receiving SIGTERM is if you have a FUSE volume mounted that refuses to unmount. I'm going to add a little code to fuse_daemon now that might help the problem.

Check back shortly for the new MacFUSE Tools.

Built Like A Rock

2007-01-27, 02:02

Quote:
While your NTFS volumes are mounted, open a Terminal and run the following command:
Code:
sudo killall -TERM fuse_daemon
That will cause fuse_daemon to unmount all of your FUSE volumes (NTFS-3G included), regardless of whether or not Finder can see them.

If this works while you're logged in, it should work during shutdown. The only reason fuse_daemon would hang after receiving SIGTERM is if you have a FUSE volume mounted that refuses to unmount. I'm going to add a little code to fuse_daemon now that might help the problem.

I ran the command and it worked from as far as I can tell. hmmm. I'll be waiting on the new MacFUSE Tools! Thanks.
ShadowOfGed
Travels via TARDIS

2007-01-27, 02:25

Quote:
And here they are:Basically, this adds some code to fuse_daemon that will try to kill processes "hogging" a FUSE volume. It tries politely (at first) and then desperately sends the fatal SIGKILL as a last resort. Keep in mind, this should never happen, and even then it only happens at shutdown.

That is, unless you manually send it SIGTERM, which my instructions above indicate, so be careful with that check. Try this new set of MacFUSE Tools and let me know how it goes. I doubt it will help, but at least the daemon is a bit more robust now.

ErBiC

2007-01-28, 21:24

Now that we have NTFS-3g more or less sorted out and working, can someone work on a pkg install for FTPFS? Or at least give some tutorial on how to properly compile it to work with MacFUSE. It doesn't seem at all optimized for Mac OS X, and keeps erroring out when I do make install.

I figure there's some extra commands to input to Terminal before doing make install, but I have absolutely NO idea what they are.
chumsdock

2007-01-28, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBiC View Post
Now that we have NTFS-3g more or less sorted out and working, can someone work on a pkg install for FTPFS? Or at least give some tutorial on how to properly compile it to work with MacFUSE. It doesn't seem at all optimized for Mac OS X, and keeps erroring out when I do make install.
Exactly what I need Also I have difficulties to compile them.
mickles

2007-01-30, 11:07

With the new updates (macfuse 0.1.9/NTFS3g 118) I've still got very poor write speeds to an NTFS partition on an external USB drive. I used a 48mb file and moved it around a bit to test, comparing it with an NTFS partition for winxp on the same hdd as my HFS+ partition.

WinXP -> HFS+ 10s
HFS+ -> WinXP 23s
External -> HFS+ 37s
HFS+ -> External 110s
External -> WinXP 37s
WinXP -> External 331s

It takes about a half an hour to transfer a 700mb file to the External USB. Also if it helps, theres a delay when I try to copy something to the External drive. Finder doesn't respond for mabye 30 seconds before it starts copying.

Last edited by mickles : 2007-01-30 at 11:23.