AppleNova Forums » Third-Party Products »

Firefox Extensions

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
Firefox Extensions
spikeh
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to spikeh Send a message via MSN to spikeh  
2006-09-10, 09:46

What firefox extensions do you guys use and why? I'm always looking to expand the functionality of Firefox. At the moment I've got:

1. Web Developer Toolbar (essential for any web developer)
2. Aardvark (Ditto)
3. AdBlock (Does exactly what it says on the tin! Really impressed thus far).
4. SessionSaver (I know this is coming as a feature in Firefox 2.0, but it's dead handy. Snapback Tabs are really great too).
5. People Search and Public Record Toolbar (great for finding information about people you come across or need to get in touch with).
6. Flashblock (Turns off all Flash on a website by default - displays an element of the same width and height with the Flash logo in it that allows you to one-click turn the element on. This is amazingly handy when browsing websites like Ultimate Guitar, which periodically has really irritating adverts with sound or overlapping images).
7. Grease Monkey (With Bug Me Not, Auto Reload, 3 x last.fm scripts running)
8. Tab Mix Plus (Gives you a lot of control over tabs in Firefox and also adds the Safari-style in-tab close buttons, which is excellent.
9. Video downloader which allows you to download movies from Youtube, Google Video etc as stand-alone files.

What do you guys use and why?
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-10, 10:00

I use the infamous QuitFirefoxASAPBeforeIGetAHeadache extension. Wrote it myself.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-09-10, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
I use the infamous QuitFirefoxASAPBeforeIGetAHeadache extension. Wrote it myself.
None of your nay-saying, Safari boy. Firefox > Safari.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-09-10, 10:15

mac/pc

Web Developer (like you said)
ColorZilla
StumbleUpon…
Quote:
StumbleUpon lets you "channelsurf" the best-reviewed sites on the web. It is a collaborative surfing tool for browsing, reviewing and sharing great sites with like-minded people. This helps you find interesting webpages you wouldn't think to search for.
pc
IE Tab
chucker

Send a message via ICQ to chucker Send a message via AIM to chucker Send a message via MSN to chucker Send a message via Yahoo to chucker Send a message via Skype™ to chucker 
2006-09-10, 10:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeh View Post
None of your nay-saying, Safari boy. Firefox > Safari.
Who said I use Safari?
joveblue
Veteran Member

2006-09-10, 10:35

- Google Toolbar (Coz I hate the Firefox search box, for Safe Browsing and Gmail mailto: support)
- FoxyTunes (mainly to stop iTunes if somethings playing in the browser)
- TabFX (my parent's computer has Tab Mix Plus, not sure which one I like better... Tab FX seems tidier... in-tab close buttons are a neccessity)

Video downloader: Hmm might look for that
SessionSaver: Google has a version of that...

I was just thinking the other night about how (*not an expert*) it could be quite simple for an extension to pose as a tab-enhancement extension or something but it's real purpose is to secretly collect all the data you enter into forms and send it back to base. A trojan that you invite in. Scary. Possible???
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2006-09-10, 10:47

I use shortship. Adds a total column in all ebay listings which shows postage included - great for finding ACTUAL cheapest thing.
Banana
is the next Chiquita

2006-09-10, 10:53

Is NoScript available on Mac FF? I use it all time on my PC FF. Great for let me visiting websites of questionable integrity wtihout get bombarded with their questionable antics.
ast3r3x
25 chars of wasted space.

Send a message via AIM to ast3r3x  
2006-09-10, 11:05

For the record, I use Shiira, but I have FF and Safari in my dock as well that I use occasionally.
Maciej
M AH - ch ain saw

2006-09-10, 11:33

Anyone use OmniWeb? I haven't given it a spin yet, I heard it has some surprising performance.
Brad
Selfish Heathen

2006-09-10, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana View Post
Is NoScript available on Mac FF?
Firefox extensions are platform agnostic.
chucker

2006-09-10, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Firefox extensions are platform agnostic.
Generally, yes, but not necessarily. They could refer to platform-specific paths, for example.
spikeh
BANNED

2006-09-10, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucker View Post
Generally, yes, but not necessarily. They could refer to platform-specific paths, for example.
Also there are a few that rely on components from Internet Explorer being installed (I know IE Tabs does, and there are a few others out there that offer similar functionality).
autodata
hustlin

2006-09-10, 14:52

Web Developer
SwitchProxy Tool - I use this mainly when tunneling to a home server when on a cafe's wireless. Also good for quickly switching to browsing with Tor.
ColorZilla
FireBug
del.icio.us
FireFTP - good for browsing anon ftp servers
Screen Grab
Measureit
Fangs
VideoDownloader
Google Browser Sync - this is a real gem
Google Notebook - use this from time to time to note sections of text
Adblock
JavaScript Debugger

Last edited by autodata : 2006-09-10 at 14:57.
drewprops
Space Pirate

2006-09-10, 17:18

Great list guys! I'll be trying a lot of these soon. I'd become increasingly irritated with how long Shiira/Safari displayed the spinning beachball on my Powerbook. Then I checked to see the last time I'd restarted the machine.... July 5th. D'oh!! They're running sprightlier after the restart, but Firefox was snappy even when they weren't... so I need to start using it a bit more often I 'spose.

Steve Jobs ate my cat's watermelon.
Captain Drew on Twitter
spikeh
BANNED

2006-09-10, 18:23

Safari is a lot more elegant, but it just doesn't cut it as a web browser for me. Camino interests me, but again, I prefer Firefox as an out-and-out browser. The extensions are just awesome. Especially Grease Monkey.

This may be a separate issue, but would anyone on here like to see a Grease Monkey script for the forum? And if so, what for? I have a few minor quibbles that I'm going to address with a script or two, so if you want something written let me know.