Password
AppleNova Forums » Apple Products »

iPhone 3G Rate Plans

Register Members List Calendar Search FAQ Posting Guidelines
iPhone 3G Rate Plans
Page 1 of 2 [1] 2  Next Thread Tools
Alai

2008-06-09, 15:02

Has anybody gotten word on if the plans are the same on the 3G? I have scoured apple.com and talked to some moron who told me to call AT&T, but all of this to no avail.
Quagmire
meh

2008-06-09, 16:53

$30/month

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/09/...venue-sharing/
iDaver

2008-06-09, 22:58

To be more specific, the minimum service plan for the iPhone is going from $60 per month to $70. Since a lot of people buy things on credit anyway, they'll hardly notice and will think the new iPhone is actually cheaper than the old one. As a result, the new pricing structure will probably sell a lot of phones.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-06-09, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDaver View Post
To be more specific, the minimum service plan for the iPhone is going from $60 per month to $70. Since a lot of people buy things on credit anyway, they'll hardly notice and will think the new iPhone is actually cheaper than the old one. As a result, the new pricing structure will probably sell a lot of phones.
That is very true. Plus the masses have the mindset that it's spreading out the payments for those who do think about it. It's easier to pay $10 per month rather than $100 now.

Louis L'Amour, “To make democracy work, we must be a nation of participants, not simply observers. One who does not vote has no right to complain.”
Visit our archived Minecraft world! | Maybe someday I'll proof read, until then deal with it.
Robo
Formerly Roboman, still
awesome

2008-06-09, 23:40

Well, I'm sure people will be using a lot more data, now that it's so much faster. So I guess I can understand the increase in price. iPhone data was a bargain before, now it's pretty much AT&T's regular price, but whatever.

and i guess i've known it all along / the truth is, you have to be soft to be strong
apple007
BANNED
I am worthless beyond hope.

2008-06-09, 23:44

Perhaps, but I still think people are conflating the issues. To me, the subsidized iPhone price and the $10 3G data plan increase are entirely separate issues.

EDIT: Oops, 'Robo' snuck in before me. I was replying to 'turtle2472'.
iDaver

2008-06-09, 23:48

I too thought the previous data plan was a pretty good bargain.

It would be interesting to know the details of Apple's new agreement with AT&T. From what I've read, Apple no longer gets a portion of the monthly service fees, but I expect they get a good kickback at either the beginning or the end of the contract. Chances are, Apple still makes almost the same amount of money per iPhone as before.
atomicbartbeans
reticulating your mom

Send a message via AIM to atomicbartbeans  
2008-06-09, 23:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDaver View Post
I too thought the previous data plan was a pretty good bargain.
The iPhone is one of the few EDGE/3G devices that does not support tethering to a real computer - this limitation IMO precludes "bargain" status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple007 View Post
Perhaps, but I still think people are conflating the issues. To me, the subsidized iPhone price and the $10 3G data plan increase are entirely separate issues.
Well, no - Steve said that they wanted to make owning an iPhone "more affordable", citing survey participants who complained of the additional expense of an iPhone over a typical cell phone. The cost of ownership is comprised primarily of service charges - the initial device cost is minor in comparison.

So yeah, the phone might be cheaper now, but the service is yet more expensive - you'll be paying $199 for the iPhone, then $1680 (excluding taxes and superfluous fees) over the next two years.

Guess what? That means that Apple's release of the 3G iPhone (with the intention of saving the user money) has actually made owning one more expensive, not more affordable. Sure, AT&T sets the data plan prices, but it's Apple's fault for getting involved with them initially.

If Apple wanted to make iPhone ownership more affordable, they'd be best to sell it unlocked, thus allowing for carriers to compete with their respective voice & data plans.

You ask me for a hamburger.
psmith2.0
Mr. Vieira

2008-06-09, 23:52

I see it as an almost-even trade-off. Maybe that's wrong, but I do. Shakes out to $40 over the course of two years. That's a big dinner (with desert and drinks) at Outback. I can manage...

It is what it is. Laying it all out, explaining it or pointing out what's wrong or bad or weird about it isn't going to change or undo it. Folks will either bite or not. Many will, and that's how it'll be.

I think it's important for AT&T, however, to get their butts in gear on the 3G stuff. Chattanooga, as far as I know, is bigger and more hopping than Huntsville, Alabama (I know...they have rockets, and we only have choo-choo trains...but still). They've got 3G there!

Honestly...

NASA, my butt.

Blue = 3G

ironlung

2008-06-09, 23:54

Looking at the internal att memo at BGR.. it seems as if premier discounts will be allowed on the iphone rate plans. That'll bring it down a lot for quite a few people.
turtle
Lord of the Rant.
Formerly turtle2472

2008-06-09, 23:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironlung View Post
Looking at the internal att memo at BGR.. it seems as if premier discounts will be allowed on the iphone rate plans. That'll bring it down a lot for quite a few people.
Oooooo...I fit in that group. Maybe my wife will get a better iPhone now after all.
admactanium

2008-06-10, 00:01

i don't understand all the uproar about the price increase on the data plan. yes it's higher. yes it negates the price "break" on the iphone 3g, but you guys compare the price of voice+data for 2 years vs. nothing? i don't know about you guys, but previous to the iphone i had voice+data on verizon and it was around $90/month. do you not already have a cell plan? if so, how is the comparison valid.
Dave
Ninja Editor

2008-06-10, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium View Post
i don't understand all the uproar about the price increase on the data plan. yes it's higher. yes it negates the price "break" on the iphone 3g, but you guys compare the price of voice+data for 2 years vs. nothing? i don't know about you guys, but previous to the iphone i had voice+data on verizon and it was around $90/month. do you not already have a cell plan? if so, how is the comparison valid.
It's valid because some people choose to always point out the worst possible scenario, ignoring mitigating facts. Which is to say it's not valid at all, but there's always some one (or several some ones) too dense to notice.
BuonRotto
Not sayin', just sayin'

Send a message via AIM to BuonRotto Send a message via Yahoo to BuonRotto  
2008-06-10, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by admactanium View Post
...you guys compare the price of voice+data for 2 years vs. nothing?
Yes. Yes, we do.
iDaver

2008-06-10, 00:30

Yes, for the extra $10 per month you're getting faster data. Yes, it's a reasonable increase for faster service. But Steve Jobs standing on stage saying "we want to make it even more affordable" and "at $199, we think the iPhone 3G is going to be affordable to almost everyone" is a deception. (That's what RDF is all about.) Purchasing and using an iPhone for two years will now cost $40 more than before.
admactanium

2008-06-10, 01:09

well, then the onus is on at&t rather than apple. it looks to the casual observer that apple did their part.
Chellovek

2008-06-10, 03:50

UK rate plans are now up. Actually it looks pretty enticing, at least at the low end of the plans. Plus there's a currently unspecified Pay-as-you-go plan. Seems to me there's a real shift towards the 'sell a bucket load of iphones to the entire market sector' approach.
Fahrenheit
Veteran Member

Send a message via ICQ to Fahrenheit  
2008-06-10, 05:20

Ooh thats good. You will be able to get the iPhone on a £30 per month contract, including unlimited browsing, voicemail etc. etc.

Thats a more reasonable deal than before
spotcatbug
Veteran Member

2008-06-10, 07:06

So, if your area doesn't have 3G, can you buy the slower data plan instead (EDGE)? I live about 60 miles away from AT&T 3G coverage.

Quote:
One not-so-minor detail was left out of today’s otherwise laudable iPhone 3G introduction: in the United States, you won’t be able to get 3G speeds — touted as 2.8X faster than 2G speeds — in many of the areas that are covered by the slower EDGE network.
LINKY

If everybody has to pay for 3G, but, basically, nobody gets it, then the price comparisons are legitimate.

Ugh.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-10, 07:13

The thing I don't understand is they charge you $30 for the data plan which is no biggie, but then they charge you $20 for unlimited text.

That kinda pisses me off. My Sidekick through T-Mobile comes with unlimited internet (EDGE?), email, and text for $20.

That's the only downfall I've seen so far about the iPhone.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-06-10, 07:27

I was looking to add a new iPhone to my plan. Yesterday that would've been $20/mo extra. Today it's $30/mo extra.

Personally I'd rather pay $500 up front for the phone and save $10/mo in service fees, since it's $10/mo + 3% federal service fee + 6% sales tax + universal access fee %. Not to mention, the extra $10/mo is forever while the upfront charge would've been a one shot deal.

I'm happy Apple reduced the purchase price of the phone since it will get many more customers to buy one, even if it does end up costing them more in the end.
Kickaha
Veteran Member

2008-06-10, 08:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post
The thing I don't understand is they charge you $30 for the data plan which is no biggie, but then they charge you $20 for unlimited text.
That's because they assrape you on SMS/MMS. The per/kB rates are beyond any sense of reason.
Satchmo
can't read sarcasm.

2008-06-10, 08:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinMacFiend View Post
Not to mention, the extra $10/mo is forever while the upfront charge would've been a one shot deal.
Well, rates could also conceivably drop in the future too...

Not until there's another competitive carrier in the mix.
Yontsey
*AD SPACE FOR SALE*

2008-06-10, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
That's because they assrape you on SMS/MMS. The per/kB rates are beyond any sense of reason.
It's crazy though because as far as I know, at&t are the only ones that gauge your ass like that. T-Mobile and I believe Verizon have much better package deals.

Die young and save yourself....
@yontsey
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-06-10, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farenheit View Post
Ooh thats good. You will be able to get the iPhone on a £30 per month contract, including unlimited browsing, voicemail etc. etc.

Thats a more reasonable deal than before
We've actually done considerably better than the Americans for pricing on this one, for once:
  • The price for a US iPhone halved; it went from £269 to £99 here.
  • There was no increase in tariff prices here; they remain the same, with the addition of a new lower priced contract.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm seriously considering it right now.

Last edited by turbulentfurball : 2008-06-10 at 09:18.
bassplayinMacFiend
Banging the Bottom End

2008-06-10, 09:11

The AT&T contract has always been 2 years, it was never 18 months.
turbulentfurball
Right Honourable Member

Send a message via ICQ to turbulentfurball Send a message via AIM to turbulentfurball Send a message via MSN to turbulentfurball  
2008-06-10, 09:18

Oops. I should have done my research! Editing...
Majost
monkey with a tiny cymbal

2008-06-10, 09:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchmo View Post
Well, rates could also conceivably drop in the future too...

Not until there's another competitive carrier in the mix.
Competitive carrier: Email.

Seriously. I've started figuring out the effective SMS email addresses for all my friends... and texting them that way. Most carriers use a scheme like 1234567890@messaging.company.com (see here for more). The amazing part? It often works in reverse, too. You can actually send a text message to an email.

And, if I'm at a real computer anyway, I'd much rather use a real keyboard.

When I get my iPhone 3G, I'm sure I'll be doing this much more.
Yonzie
Mac Mini Maniac

2008-06-10, 10:57

No rates out in Denmark yet.
The only announcement Telia has made is that starting tomorrow you can get on a mailing list-ish something to get more information
No wonder they have the biggest churn in the industry.
My cousin emailed me last night "New iPhone ... Telia .... What do you do about it?"

Converted 07/2005.
admactanium

2008-06-10, 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yontsey View Post

That kinda pisses me off. My Sidekick through T-Mobile comes with unlimited internet (EDGE?), email, and text for $20.

That's the only downfall I've seen so far about the iPhone.
yeah, but then you're on tmobile. i had that plan with my two sidekicks, but tmobile was the only provider i ever used where i commonly got a message telling me that all the lines were busy. not the line i was calling, the lines they use to send calls.